customer service?

tapdancemom

My sisters and I just returned from a four day cruise on RCCL's Monarch. We boarded on Monday and on Tuesday Morning both of our cabins were flooded from the cabin between us. The couple had lit candles and set off the sprinkers in their cabin. There was several inches of water in their cabin, and they were moved to a new one. According to customer service people at the desk that was the only unoccupied cabin on the ship. Our cabins floors were soaked. They brought in blowers to try and dry it out. The blower was so powerfull it blew shoes across the floor. It was so loud we couldn't hear each other talk. We had to stay out of our cabin that day because it was miserable to be in there. We walked around on wet floors to get ready for dinner that night.

The smell was REALLY BAD. It became intolerable, and we had to sleep in there. YUK YUK. We went to the service desk to get someone to come down and see what we were putting up with. The person in charge wouldn't even talk to us. Our room steward Ian was great about it trying to do his best to make our stay comfortable. They did give each of my sisters and myself a $50 cabin credit, but that didn't seem near enough compensation for our ruined cabin experience. Head of housekeeping finally came down the last night and couldn't believe we were sleeping in that room. The stench was BEYOND HORRIBLE. People that walked by our room said when they got off the elevator the could smell our room, which by the way we had to keep the door open much of the time because we couldn't stand to breath the air. Our cabins were 4088 and 4092. My sisters asthma that was fine when we got on the ship got really bad with each day of having to breath in the stagnent water from the sprinklers that was in our carpet.

On the morning we got back in port they decided to replace the carpet. The guys installing it had to wear masks because of the smell. They too couldn't believe we slept in there. In less than 45 minutes they had the old carpet out and the new one installed. RCCL was real concerned about the new cruisers in our cabin but not enough to do the same for us.

We talked to the customer service people several times and they said they could do nothing for us compensation wise and that we should call when we got home. My sister called and talked to two differant people on Tuesday and the first one offered $100 credit on a new cruise. The second offered $250 on a new cruise. We would like our cabin charges wiped out, or a replacement cruise even a 3 day would be probably be ok with me. We did not accept and are pursuing it further. Oh I forgot to mention we could have been electrocuted using hair dryers, curling irons and the electric blower on the soaked carpet.

I don't think anyone at RCCL cares about what happened and are not interested in making it right. Any comments or suggestions on how we can resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Wait-- people in the cabin next to you had candles and set off a sprinkler-- ruining cabins on either side of their mess...and THEY got to change cabins??? WOW-- that sounds really fair- wonder what category they got moved to.

This was a health hazard for you. Keep plugging no matter how long it takes.

I have found that there is a word that will get the attention of even major corporations. The word starts with an L and continues on with the letters aywer. Write to everyone in the company from the CEO on down to the Customer service people. Address it to the CEO. If you happen to know a lawyer who will write the letter for you, go for it!!

Linda

Lawyers, Better Business Bureau, Attorney General, etc. etc are all good places to contact if the cruiseline won't help you.

Also, make sure RCCL KNOWS you are about to contact these people. You should get a free cruise (or close to it) for what you put up with. Contact the cruiseline, and ask for the President's office. If they ask why you want to talk to the President (find his/her name ahead of time), tell them you want to compliment the service on a recent cruise. They'll put you right through to his secretary/assistant, cuz they LOVE those calls. Then tell them the story. Follow up with a letter directly to the President. He/she doesn't want to deal with this, so they'll do what they can to make you happy.

Let us know how this turns out!

Spong rob: I dont think a 100% reimbursment is gonna happen. They did cruise and they did go to the ports and they did eat and partake in the various activities. The problem was in the cabin. I do believe they are entitled to something and it shouldnt be a 10% off a future cruise either.

I agree, serene. tapdancemom - please post this on the RCI board. There are a lot of experienced RCI cruisers there, and they might be able to help you out with direct contacts, etc. Wow..I would have put Mr. and Mrs. Candleabra in your cabin, and given you the good one! Real bummer for you, and sorry about your experience!

I can only add that I hope you follow up using a number of these good suggestions. Also this is a prime example of why people need to give serious thought to needless "mood" enhancers like candles.

Tap dance.....I would like your permission to quote a large part of your post and put up a thread on the Princess board.

Normally I'm a go with the flow kind of guy. If things go wrong, you make the best of it. Work with customer service and come to an agreement.

However, accepting the OP as 100% factual, I would be looking for a complete replacement cruise. Same length, same cabin category, cruise lines can pick the actual ship and I get to pick the date.

Soaking wet carpet. Smell. The miscreants that caused the problem got rewarded with a new cabin (I hope it wasn't an upgrade). Replacement carpet was obviously available on the ship.

On the part of the cruise lines: Add the charge for repairs and the replacement cruise to the bill of the idiots that caused the problem.

Anything less of an offer from the cruise line and I think I would have to see a doctor about the cough that may have been caused by the mold as a result of the mess. :rolleyes:

I hope that you have pictures and possible the names of other passengers from the cruise that can help back up your case.

Good Luck

(I am not a lawyer nor do I portray one on the internet.)

Tapdancemom--how was this cruise booked? If you booked with a TA, you should give them the info and let them take it up with the RCI rep. Going to bat over unresolved problems is the most valuable part of having a TA!

98charlie--I don't think replacement carpet was available on the ship. TDM stated it was replaced in the original port. RCI has port crews that sweep in the moment the ship arrives and begin replacing carpets, painting, making repairs, etc...They have an aggressive program to keep the ships in good shape with no unnecessary down time. (FWIW--RCI supposedly replaces some flooring every time a ship is in it's home port and it takes 6 months to completely re-carpet each ship. That was pre 9/11, so I'm not sure if it still holds...)

Hope this mess gets resolved to your liking, tapdancemom...keep us informed...

Archived