customer service?

My sisters and I just returned from a four day cruise on RCCL's Monarch. We boarded on Monday and on Tuesday morning both of our cabins were flooded from the cabin between us. The couple had lit candles and set off the sprinklers in their cabin. There was several inches of water in their cabin, and they were moved to a new one. According to Guest Relations that was the only unoccupied cabin on the ship. Our cabins floors were soaked. They brought in blowers to try and dry it out. The blower was so powerfull it blew shoes across the floor. It was so loud we couldn't hear each other talk. We had to stay out of our cabin that day because it was miserable to be in there. We walked around on wet floors to get ready for dinner that night.

The smell was REALLY BAD. It became intolerable, and we had to sleep in there. YUK YUK. We went to the guest relations desk to get someone to come down and see what we were putting up with. The person in charge wouldn't even talk to us. Our room steward Ian was great about it trying to do his best to make our stay comfortable. they did give each of my sisters and myself a $50 cabin credit, but that didn't seem near enough compensation for our ruined cabin experience. Head of housekeeping finally came down the last night and couldn't believe we were sleeping in that room. The stench was BEYOND HORRIBLE. People that walked by our room said when they got off the elevator they could smell our cabin, which by the way we had to keep the door open much of the time because we couldn't stand to breath the air. Our cabins were 4088 and 4092. My sisters asthma that was fine when we got on the ship, got really bad with each day of having to breathe in the stagnent water from the sprinklers that was in our carpet.

On the morning we got back in port they decided to replace the carpet. The guys installing it had to wear masks because of the smell. They too couldn't believe we slept in there. In less than 45 minutes they had the old carpet out and the new one installed. RCCL was real concerned about the new cruisers in our cabin but not enough to do the same for us.

We talked to Guest Relations several times and they said they could do nothing for us compensations wise and that we should call when we got home. My sister called and talked to two differant people on Tuesday and the first one offered $100 credit on a new cruise. The second offered $250 on a new cruise. I was offered the same this morning. We would like our cabin charges wiped out, or a replacement cruise, even a 3 day would probably be ok with me. We did not accept and are going to pursue it further. Oh I forgot to mention we could have been electrocuted using hair dryers, curling irons and the electric blower on the soaked carpet.

I don't think anyone at RCCL cares about what happened and are not interested in making it right. Any comments or suggestions on how we can resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

I would say your patients went well beyond what many of us would put up with.

I guess it is ironic that the person who lit the candles and caused the problem got another cabin and you had to endure the aftermath.

I hope everything works out for you.

I am sure the comments that follow me here will be suggestive, kind, and supportive.

Wont they gang?

Wow what a story. I´m sure I wouldn´t have been that kind.

I think I would have camped at the pursers desk until they would have done anything to make me comfortable. And when I say camp I mean it. I think you should have set up a lounge chair with your mattres and sleep right in front of them until they do something.

I often have the feeling some people are asking for compensation because of nothing but in this case I fell they should give you back the entire amount of the cruise or at least give you another compareable cruise for free.

They really should have done something for you. OK it´s hard if the ship is really fully booked, but I think in this case ou should have gotton the new cabin that the "troublemakers" got.

Hope they get to work this out for your compensation.

Keep us updated.

Good luck with it! I think something should be done about this and now! I would definatley contact someone of authority and demand some type of compensation...all that planning and arraingments...I'm sure your trip was ruined...and if your like me you planned ahead and have been looking forward to it for months only to have this horrible experience...I wish you luck with this and hopefully a full credit or a free cruise. :)

Thanks guys for your support. I wish I would have thought to ask why the couple that caused the problem got the cabin instead of us. I had 16 dance students and their families onboard with us throught Stars at Sea performing travel agency and I'm so glad it was not one of their cabins. We are definately not dropping this and as soon as I sign off here I'm going to continue the process. Thanks

tapdancemom - I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you. I hope it turns out all right in the end. I am curious to hear how your group enjoyed the Stars at Sea program. I am the office manager at a dance studio and we have talked about doing one of these but we weren't quite sure how it works. Any info you can provide would be great - like - what did the dancers get to do performance wise on the trip. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide and again good luck persuing your complaint!

tapdancemom ...

when you speak with the RCL managers, be sure to let them know how you are relaying your experience to to world through the use of various cruise forums, and how their potential customers are reading your experience this very moment.

the power of the internet soap box should not be under estimated!

:)

if you can present your mission to spread the truth about your horrendous ordeal to as many people as possible, they might very well compensate you to your liking (to a reasonable level).

SKM

I think that if that had happened to me, a certain Hotel Manager would have had me in his shadow the entire cruise, not to mention the head of Guest Relations. I'm usually not one to think that full compensation is warranted, but in this case I believe it is. Go for it, and don't settle for the pennies they're offering you. You might even copy this thread and send it in an email to the big muckity mucks at RCI. If it took less than a hour to recarpet, why didn't they do that as soon as you reported the problem.

Stretch

(How's that for being compassionate the Mike??)

4_2_205.gif

I don't even have words.. That is horrible.. Please keep us informed and I too would go right to the top. Write a letter and CC it to EVERYONE that is ANYONE in management or guest relations.. If nothing else I would call a local news consumer team and see if they are interested in what happened to you.

jean-lynd,

Stars at Sea books performers on RCCL ships. We have a performance troupe of 16 dancers aged 10 - 14. We did a 35 minute show consisting of mostly tap and jazz dances and a lyrical and Polynesian number too. We got the main theater holding over 1,000 seats. We performed on the final night and had a rehearsal onstage that morning. We liked having the final night because there were less activities scheduled that night and the potential for a bigger audience. Our dancers invited people throughout the entire cruise and we had a pretty good turnout. You can e-mail me at tapdancemom@earthlink.net and I'll go into greater detail about it.

I would also keep mentioning about your sister's asthma. Is she feeling OK? If she is not, I would be calling RCCL and tell them she is sick from this. It sounds as if you both were exposed to mold and I would make sure to let RCCL know that you intend to make them liable for any for any medical espenses because of this. I don't know if they would but I sure would tell them they were!

Archived