What do you tip for room service?

travelmatron

I want this to be a really simple question not involving the theory of tipping.

I like to have a pot of coffe and a continental breakfast on our balcony. Sometimes we just want a sandwich instead of a meal, and have ordered room service. Without a bill or a service charge I've just given the person delivering my tray a couple of dollars. Is this enough or am I under-tipping?

I waitressed for years so think of it in terms of effort. If it's a single tray with items that are easily balanced, I give them $2. If it's something more elaborate (like two full breakfasts with juice and a pot of coffee) I'll give them $3 or $4. They are always smiling and grateful when they leave, and they come back the next day with a smile so I guess it's acceptable!

I agree with WB and do just about the same thing. I tip by number of people served, if they are meals, usually a dollar per meal or so. If it is a more difficult order to carry, I throw in an extra dollar. They always seem surprised when I do so and I have to catch them before they slip away. I have it ready as soon as I order because sometimes they are so fast, they catch me off guard and I don't like to waste their time digging for it.

$2 for breakfast which normally includes coffee, danish, bagel and cream cheese and salmon for 2.

If our youngest orders a turkey sandwich...he will grab a $1 out of the drawer to tip them.

One morning we had 4 in the room and ordered like we had not eaten in 10 years....I tipped the wait staff a $5.

One morning we had 4 in the room and ordered like we had not eaten in 10 years....I tipped the wait staff a $5.

:D we did that too, so much food in fact that i took a picture of the pile! i think in that case that $5 is reasonable. for a smaller order i'll tip $3 and for something like coffee $2

We rarely order room service, but when we do, the tip will range from $1.00 to $3.00, normally $2.00. sometimes we like continental breakfast if we are in a hurry to start a tour. On HAL last year we had full breakfast a few times, it is just a little too crowded, I prefer the dining room or the buffet.

Nita

We usually order 2-3 pots of coffee and I give $2. Then we relax and enjoy our coffee before heading for breakfast. In the beginning of the cruise I usually give the a little more like $5 and that way I keep getting the same person back and great service (they ask me to put their name on the top of the request form you hang out the night before). Hint....use the same person all the time and they always come quick.

I start of with $5 for a few pots of coffee. I always get the persons name and use the same person thoughout the cruise. I put their name on the top of the request form you hang out the door. Then I usually give $2-$3 each day. I get great service that way and they really appreciate it. At the end of the cruise I usually give a little more.

I start of with $5 for a few pots of coffee. I always get the persons name and use the same person thoughout the cruise. I put their name on the top of the request form you hang out the door. Then I usually give $2-$3 each day. I get great service that way and they really appreciate it. At the end of the cruise I usually give a little more.

As a rule I tip room service $4 each per trip. Oddly enough I get 1 or 2 of the same staff throughout a 8 cruise day. They must have figured out my cabin number and decided to monopolize their earnings. One crewman suggested that I make a note of his name and to use it when ordering room service for the remainder of the cruise. I thought that was bold but also clever!

As a rule I tip room service $4 each per trip. Oddly enough I get 1 or 2 of the same staff throughout a 8 cruise day. They must have figured out my cabin number and decided to monopolize their earnings. One crewman suggested that I make a note of his name and to use it when ordering room service for the remainder of the cruise. I thought that was bold but also clever!

Yes its true, that is where I got the idea putting the name on the form. I was once asked by the crewman to do that and I have always done so since. As I said, the first tip I give $5 and the last tip of the cruise I give $5-$10 depending on the service. :D

While a great way for him to maximize his tips, it probably speeds your service up- he's in a rush to get it to you!

To the OP- I haven't yet cruised- but I am planning to tip $1 or $2. Four dollars seems like a lot to tip- that's more than I spend on a full cooked to order lunch meal during my work week.

Four dollars seems like a lot to tip- that's more than I spend on a full cooked to order lunch meal during my work week.

Wow - I didn't think there was anywhere in the US or Canada where you could get a hot lunch for under about $8 these days! Even the fast food joints are closer to $6! Sounds like a pretty good deal you have there.

On HAL, you (almost) always will have the same Room Service steward for your whole cruise. If you happen to be a generous tipper, he will be very happy. If he happens to provide fast, efficient, friendly service you both will be very happy. :) (The vast majority of HAL Room Service Stewards are fabulous. Always a bright smile and rapid service. We love them.)

Wow - I didn't think there was anywhere in the US or Canada where you could get a hot lunch for under about $8 these days! Even the fast food joints are closer to $6! Sounds like a pretty good deal you have there.
Maybe someone could tell us where to get a $4.00 hot lunch, even here in belen we can't get a hamburger for that....

Nita

To the OP- I haven't yet cruised- but I am planning to tip $1 or $2. Four dollars seems like a lot to tip- that's more than I spend on a full cooked to order lunch meal during my work week.

Seems a shame to "punish" the cruise delivery guy because you can get a cheap meal where you live. :(

Like others we tip according to "volume" and work involved assembling our order. For a simple pot of coffee, we give $2.00, that's our minimum. If it's a full breakfast or lunch, it's anywhere from $3 - $5.

Agree with SOME posts ;) Our tips range from $3 to $15 depending on how much food we order. When we are traveling alone we don't eat in the main dining room and order RS for dinner several nights. On RCI, we have always had the same RS Server (perhaps because we tip good, who knows :p ).

###

Archived