Best cruise destination for August holiday?

funkylady

I've booked our first cruise for January with the children. If we all enjoy this cruise we may consider an August one as well (just to get into the swing of things!). We have looked at an AI holiday in the caribbean or Mexico but I believe it's the hurricane season then and am also worried about getting bored being in the same place for 2 weeks anyway! We want hot weather but preferably not in the 40's. Any suggestions?

I've booked our first cruise for January with the children. If we all enjoy this cruise we may consider an August one as well (just to get into the swing of things!). We have looked at an AI holiday in the caribbean or Mexico but I believe it's the hurricane season then and am also worried about getting bored being in the same place for 2 weeks anyway! We want hot weather but preferably not in the 40's. Any suggestions?

You may want to look at either a South America Crusie from Rio to Vaparaiso, Chile. 14 days or so and so much to see and do. Otherwise a Northern European cruise from Dover/Southampton to Copenhagen, St. Petersburg, Amsterdam, and all the other wonderful places there. I am assuming since you said the 40's for the temps, that you are not American and mean in the 100's for us.

Alaska would be the other choice as it is not that hot in the summer and there are some wonderful cruise tours to take you inland to see the best of both.

Hi, thanks for your responses so far. As we live in Northern Europe i think we would like to try somewhere different. I will definitely check out Alaska and South America. Do you think the children would be safe on all the excursions in South America- sorry if i sound naive. What cruise lines would you recommend for the best cruise experience to these parts? :)

Kath

Hello,

You will note that your friends in America are biased in favor of Alaska and with good reason. There is much to see and do on an Alaskan cruise. Some ideas...spend a week visiting the Pacific Northwest, seeing Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver and then a 7 day cruise to Alaska.

Another idea is to look at Mediterrean cruises, from Southhampton, Barcelona, Venice or Civitavecchia. The weather will be warm and there is much to see and do on a Med cruise.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Hello,

You will note that your friends in America are biased in favor of Alaska and with good reason. There is much to see and do on an Alaskan cruise. Some ideas...spend a week visiting the Pacific Northwest, seeing Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver and then a 7 day cruise to Alaska.

Another idea is to look at Mediterrean cruises, from Southhampton, Barcelona, Venice or Civitavecchia. The weather will be warm and there is much to see and do on a Med cruise.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Fred, love both your ideas especially visit the northwest, then a weeks cruise. This is what we did when doing Alaska, but we only did 3 days in Vancouver, wish we had taken a few more days.

Nita

Hi, thanks for your responses so far. As we live in Northern Europe i think we would like to try somewhere different. I will definitely check out Alaska and South America. Do you think the children would be safe on all the excursions in South America- sorry if i sound naive. What cruise lines would you recommend for the best cruise experience to these parts? :)

Kath

I think the children will be fine as long as you are as careful with them there as you are at home!

Holland America and Princess have some wonderful S. American cruises, and Celebrity is another to consider. As far as Alaska is concerned, I would have to go with Princess again as I love the land tours they do in conjunction with the cruises. They own their own lodges and arrange some great tours.

Since you are in Northern Europe, You might even want to consider an Australian/New Zealand cruise.

Thanks again! Beautiful scenery gets a thumbs-up from me! Spending time in Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver then a cruise to Alaska sounds great. I fancy doing a spot of whale watching actually!

Thanks Christine for the tips on the best cruise lines-I am going to start checking these out today.

Kath

Thanks again! Beautiful scenery gets a thumbs-up from me! Spending time in Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver then a cruise to Alaska sounds great. I fancy doing a spot of whale watching actually!

Thanks Christine for the tips on the best cruise lines-I am going to start checking these out today.

Kath

Hey Kath,

Look at the one way cruises from Vancouver to Anchorage as they offer the most to see and the country is amazing! The wildlife you can view is not what you can see anywhere else. If you have any questions, ask or email me at cmccabe235@comcast.net

If you don't want to fly so far, some lines do the Canada/NE cruise in August. It is beautiful country, and not too hot. The South American cruises are usually scheduled around our winter (ex: Dec, Jan, Feb). I would pass on the Med in August. Too hot and too many people on holiday.:D

Kath

you'd get to see lots of whales in Alaska...we saw lots fromthe ship....so we didn't have to take a whale watching cruise!! The Pacific Northwest is a lovely area....plenty to do around Seattle, Vancouver & Victoria.....if your cruise leaves from Vancouver, you could take the amtrak cascades train from seattle to vancouver...nice ride! (www.amtrakcascades.com)

also, you said you have kids....you can tour the Boeing aircraft factory outside of seattle (there are bus tours or if you have a rental car you can drive up...) and Boegin has a museum of flight a little closer to downtown.

You could possibly attend a Seattle Mariners baseball game as well if anyone is a sports fan....their stadium is very nice!

And, the Pac NW has wonderful food! Coming from Europe, 2 weeks would be a minimum...

one thing, Alaska cruises fill up fast so.....i would plan it now, then if you really don't like your first cruise..you can cancel! BUT, you will love it!!!

you'd get to see lots of whales in Alaska...we saw lots fromthe ship....so we didn't have to take a whale watching cruise!! The Pacific Northwest is a lovely area....plenty to do around Seattle, Vancouver & Victoria.....if your cruise leaves from Vancouver, you could take the amtrak cascades train from seattle to vancouver...nice ride! (www.amtrakcascades.com)

also, you said you have kids....you can tour the Boeing aircraft factory outside of seattle (there are bus tours or if you have a rental car you can drive up...) and Boegin has a museum of flight a little closer to downtown.

You could possibly attend a Seattle Mariners baseball game as well if anyone is a sports fan....their stadium is very nice!

And, the Pac NW has wonderful food! Coming from Europe, 2 weeks would be a minimum...

one thing, Alaska cruises fill up fast so.....i would plan it now, then if you really don't like your first cruise..you can cancel! BUT, you will love it!!!

Thanks for the advice about booking early! Would it be best to book direct with the cruise company or with a TA? We don't want to be stung with cancellation fees if we change our mind. Kath

Thanks for the advice about booking early! Would it be best to book direct with the cruise company or with a TA? We don't want to be stung with cancellation fees if we change our mind. Kath

it depends on your comfort level and your TA....mine doesn't charge a fee for anything like changing/canceling.....(not on-line...it's a local branch of a big company) [LOL...i think she charges me for my bad jokes!!:D ]

you would have to ask about the cancel policy ahead....you COULD book with a CL..pay just the deposit and think about it...as long as you cncel prior to final payment date you would get a full refund....and you could always transfer the booking to a TA if you wanted later on..(i generally do that for all of my cruises...sometimes i don't-all she really does is call in the payments for us)

HTH....as for which line, we did RC since we like them....(i have pix if you click the link in my sig) but i believe that pirncess and holland america do a great job! since we had cruised RC in the past, we figured we may as well stick with them to gain credits in the crown and anchor program...

happy planning.....

Archived