Mariner?

Fogfog

Tell me please about the Mariner...

It would be our family's 4th cruise but first with Regent.

I gather we will need to book 2 suites for a party of four.

DH and I --as well as our boys----will be 12 and almost 15)

are food fans--having lived in Europe for a time and are well traveled..I know the boys would appreciate the level of food and service I read about here.

Its this or maybe Rome for spring break. ..and the euro is too strong to make that trip a bargain like it used to be

So what are the strong points or drawbacks of the Mariner?

Thanks for all advice.

Strong points are the all inclusive as well as the food and service. . Nice being on small ship and not always waiting in lines. The service was great and the cruise fare was well worth it to us.. Fellow passangers were what we expected on Regent..

We were very happy with our past cruise and have booked again next year.

Check Regent as they have some bookings where kids travel free.

Regent is fun for kids. If it is summer or holiday season, they will likely have some Junior Activities directors who keep things going that kids like. My daughter is 13 and she does some stuff with the kids' group or some stuff with us.

For meals when she decides not to join us in the various restaurants, she loves to order room service, which is very nice on Regent. She studies the menus in Compass Rose for that evening and makes careful choices. She watches videos from the library while dining - and is in heaven.

NJBelle

We sailed 11 nights on the Mariner over Spring Break last year. Our children were 9 and 14 at the time. There were many families with children on board. Our ten year old enjoyed some of the group activities in the evening and made some friends. Our 14 y.o. son stuck with us mainly. There is a misconception about children sailing free. It is really only for very small children. If you have more than one child ytou must book a full cabin with no discount whatsoever. Our kids shared a cabin right next door to ours and that worked very well. The food on the Mariner is excellent and your "foodie" kids should really enjoy it!

BTW- we have booked Italy for our summer vacation and you are right, it is very costly with the dollar so weak. It's great your children got to experience Europe when a dollar meant something there.

Nancy

Thanks all for your thoughts:)

I read that Regent cruisers are well traveled, well read and NOT pretentious--which is what we are after...

A grand time

Great food

Great company

etc

(Our upcoming X cruise will give us a chance to see the canal and Cartagena--and so we are all reading about the building of the canal and Cartagena's interesting history...)

But as I read about other lines, it seems that Regent stands out as fine with service etc.

Has anyone done the Alaska trip with teens?

Which would you say is more friendly to families with teens--(well behaved ones)

the Carribean or Alaska, or obligatory other..;)

We're in the process of booking our third Regent cruise in three years and the second on Mariner which we loved. On our Alaska cruise we had a family using two suites adjacent to us. Although the balconies are technically not connected, the ship did send several workers with tools to remove the railing dividing the two balconies allowing the family to pass between suites without using the hallway. They do try to do anything you ask...within reason.

The difference between Regent and mass market lines is all inclusive, and almost no lines. Specialty restaurants don't cost extra, room service doesn't cost, and no tipping. I've heard fabulous things about the alaska trip as they usually have special guest lecturers.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Certainly something to consider.

Its possible a more extoic itinerary with enrichment speakers/history/environ sciene etc would be more interesting.

Will have to give several itineraries good consideration.

Thanks again for your thoughts and opinions.

;)

Archived