sapphire beach, st thomas

nicholasis1

hello we are taking sunny liston tours in st thomas and we need to decide whether to go to maghens bay or sapphire beach. I hear maghens bay does not have chairs or umbrellas there and that sapphire beach is really nice and we should try that , as it is less crowded. can anyone help us out with this. :o

We spent half a day on Sapphire last Nov. and really enjoyed it. There were chairs and umbrellas available and very few people. We spent most of our time snorkelling which was nice. Around lunch we went over to Coki and found it very crowded.

There were at four ships in port that day. We have never been on the beach at Magens Bay, but certainly enjoyed Sapphire.

I went to Sapphire Beach and was not impressed. This was in September 2007. The bathrooms were unfit for human use, there was barely any food to be found. The beach/water was beautiful. Beware of the iguanas, they are in the trees as well as walking on the beach.

I wished I would have went to Magens Bay. Oh, well, I guess we'll do that in April.

Both beaches are nice but Magens Bay is my favorite on St. Thomas. There are chairs available for rent. The beach can get crowded when there are several ships in port but I have never had a problem finding a nice place to spread out and relax. There is food and drinks available for purchase and even a drinks runner who will deliver to you. Enjoy your cruise!

I have been to both beaches I would give a slight edge to Sapphire. Chairs and snorkel equipment is available. There is no restaurant at the beach but there is a small convenience store to hold you over. Beautiful view of a distant island.

We went to Sapphire and really enjoyed it. It wasn't very crowded when we went but that was probably because were the only ship in port that day. They have snorkel equipment for rent and it cost $5.00 per hour, the chairs were $7.00 for the day. They also have peddle boats and kayaks for rent too but I don't know how much those cost.

Here are a couple pics of Sapphire beach so you can see. Unfortunately it was cloudy when we were there.

2340360410046899484S500x500Q85.jpg

2619211140046899484S500x500Q85.jpg

2129732650046899484S500x500Q85.jpg

I was just at Sapphire Beach last week with Sonny Liston. The chairs are $7 to rent, we opted not to do that. The beach was nice, but there wasn't much food to be found. And unless you're drinking beer, the drinks are outrageous. I asked for a vodka and diet coke, and it cost me $8 in the tiny plastic cup. She gave me Stoli, but I didn't ask for it.

I'd go there again, now that I know what to expect. And Sonny, BTW, was a hoot!! Ask to hear the Loverboy song. :D

I was just at Sapphire Beach last week with Sonny Liston. The chairs are $7 to rent, we opted not to do that. The beach was nice, but there wasn't much food to be found. And unless you're drinking beer, the drinks are outrageous. I asked for a vodka and diet coke, and it cost me $8 in the tiny plastic cup. She gave me Stoli, but I didn't ask for it.

I'd go there again, now that I know what to expect. And Sonny, BTW, was a hoot!! Ask to hear the Loverboy song. :D

Hey Meredith. :D

We did Sunny too when we were there in June. He was great. Did he sing the Days of the week song with you? I still can hear him singing it. :p

$8 for a small drink is a lot. Maybe they use Stoli as their pouring brand. :confused:

We were thinking about trying Sapphire in April too.

I'm glad you can rent chairs there, but can you also rent an umbrella?

We burn easily:eek:

Dianne

I don't know about the umbrellas but you really won't need one because there are a lot of trees.

See all along this area there are plenty of trees and you can sit under them. That's what I did....I burn easily as well.

2953786140046899484S500x500Q85.jpg

Did he sing the Days of the week song with you? I still can hear him singing it. :p

LOL, that's what he called the Loverboy song. :D

Does anyone know for sure if there is parasailing available on Sapphire Beach. Someone in our group has been waiting to parasail on two cruises now and has missed the opportunity.

Thanks for you input

No parasailing that I could see.

We were there last week. Beautiful beach, not crowded at all, even with three ships in port. There was a restaurant, but it closed before we could order any food. Chips at the bar.

If you want an incredibly beautiful, quiet beach, this is it! Lots of shade, white sand, goegeous water.

If you want a party, great food, lots of people, you might try something else.

We had a lovely day here and snorkeled right off the beach in the beautiful water.

Hello,

nicholasis - Magens Bay does have chairs (prices should be around -Lounge Chairs - $6 ($5 deposit) Beach Chairs $4 ($5 deposit). Lots of trees for getting shade.

Judi - yes the watersports booth on the beach at Sapphire can arrange parasailing. Reservations are required. $75 pp. The folks that run the Watersports booth are DiveIn: http://www.diveinusvi.com. You can contact them for more info. on parasailing at Sapphire.

GTO-girl - no umbrellas at Sapphire. Trees for shade.

Andy - there is a small store at Sapphire for snacks/drinks and souvenirs and the resturant/bar recently reopened.

PS: Chairs at Sapphire are usually $7 a day to rent them.

--Islander

Hi, we are booked with Sunny Liston in about three weeks, and have chosen Sapphire Beach to go to. Would we still have a choice to go to Magen's Bay if we changed our minds that day? Does he stop at all three beaches?

Do you stop anywhere on the tour, before the beach, where you can get something to eat, since there appears to be very little at Sapphire Beach? Or would you recommend having a bit to eat before we leave the shopping area?

Islander, do you think you could ask them to clean the washrooms before we get there :D :D

Bonnie

Hi, we are booked with Sunny Liston in about three weeks, and have chosen Sapphire Beach to go to. Would we still have a choice to go to Magen's Bay if we changed our minds that day? Does he stop at all three beaches?

Do you stop anywhere on the tour, before the beach, where you can get something to eat, since there appears to be very little at Sapphire Beach? Or would you recommend having a bit to eat before we leave the shopping area?

Islander, do you think you could ask them to clean the washrooms before we get there :D :D

Bonnie

When we toured with Sunny in June he gave us all a choice. Nobody wanted Coki, a few wanted Megan's Bay and the rest wanted Sapphire so I doubt he will give you a problem at all. He is quite accommodating and very nice.

He does make a stop at Mountain Top on the "tour" part which has a snack bar where you could get something to eat. He stays there for about 20 minutes. Or there is a very nice place down by the Main St. shopping area called Gladys Cafe that has really good food at reasonable prices. Also, if you liked Bloody Marys, they were $3.00. :D The service there is very good and Gladys is really nice. At Mountain Top they are famous for their Banana Daiquiris. We chose to eat at Gladys and just have the daiquiri at mountain top. How many hours of shopping did you opt to do with Sunny? That will depend on how much time you have to eat downtown.

Bonnie

Our tour started out with about 1.5 hours of shopping. After the shopping, we made one stop halfway up the mountain for about 10 minutes, the stop at Mountain Top (definitely try the banana daiquiri, but stir it first - didn't know they pour some alcohol straight on top!) was for about 30 minutes with our group, and then we made a third stop about halfway down the mountain on the other side for about 10 minutes before heading to the beach.

There's plenty to eat when shopping, and there's snacks - chips, candy, popcorn, hot dogs - at Mountain Top, along with those yummy drinks. We had a group of 25 all together, so it was easy for us to pick a beach, and arrange what time we wanted him to come pick us back up.

I plan on getting my pictures up by tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks Sandy!

Gladys's Cafe looks really quaint, but I don't think we will want a full meal yet. The snack bar at Mountain Top sounds like it might be better timing.

We chose only two hours of shopping because there will be 7 ships in port that day, so I am really only anticipating "window shopping". Our next port is St. Martin, with only two ships in port. I think I will do my serious shopping there after a few hours at Orient Beach. :D

Sandy, have you been to Magen's Bay? I'm a little worried that Sapphire will be crowded with all the ships in port and it is a smaller beach. Then again, I guess with that many ships everywhere will be crowded!

I'm looking forward to hearing the Days of the Week (Loverboy) song :D

Bonnie

Thanks Sandy!

Gladys's Cafe looks really quaint, but I don't think we will want a full meal yet. The snack bar at Mountain Top sounds like it might be better timing.

We chose only two hours of shopping because there will be 7 ships in port that day, so I am really only anticipating "window shopping". Our next port is St. Martin, with only two ships in port. I think I will do my serious shopping there after a few hours at Orient Beach. :D

Sandy, have you been to Magen's Bay? I'm a little worried that Sapphire will be crowded with all the ships in port and it is a smaller beach. Then again, I guess with that many ships everywhere will be crowded!

I'm looking forward to hearing the Days of the Week (Loverboy) song :D

Bonnie

Wow 7 ships!! That is a lot. When we were there we were the only ship in port and it was like we had the island to ourselves.

I heard St. Maarten is great for shopping also but the thing is, if you are a real serious shopper, they allow a higher amount duty free to bring back from St. Thomas. From St. Thomas it's 1600 p/p and from the other islands it's only 800, I believe. But if you just want a few things then it's ok to wait until you get to St. Maarten. :D

Nope, never been to Magen's Bay.....just saw it on Sunny's tour. It sure did look beautiful. We were only in St. Thomas that one time but my husband and I fell in love with the island that we want to go back someday on a land vacation and spend a week there.

Archived