Watch for cruise price reductions

Hlitner

Well it finally happened. The price just dropped on our 2/27/08 South Am cruise by $300pp + another $200pp if your over 55. Our travel agent did this with no problem but had to reduce the onboard credit a bit since their commission was also reduced. I"m pleased. I guess this also means that it has not sold as many cabins as X would like as of this date.

I was told by Leisl, the Cruise sales Mgr on Journey, that Azamara will match any price from a Travel Agent.

nlvc

Wasn't she the same Azamara employee that told us that the good tooth fairy visits Azamara ships?

Hank

Well it finally happened. The price just dropped on our 2/27/08 South Am cruise by $300pp + another $200pp if your over 55. Our travel agent did this with no problem but had to reduce the onboard credit a bit since their commission was also reduced. I"m pleased. I guess this also means that it has not sold as many cabins as X would like as of this date.

Keep watching..South America is not selling well..so I am betting it may go down more!

Jan

Is there a website / search engine where prices on a particular cruise can be tracked and compared?

Harry

The problem is that not all the TAs have the same prices. You really need to watch multiple web sites (several large cruise agencies) as well as the cruise line's site. Over the years we have found that most price changes will show-up on Tuesdays or Fridays...but there are always exceptions.

Hank

Jancruz1: They givith and take it away. On the same day (11/15) my cruise price was reduced and then the next day the fuel surcharge was assessed. Oh well, I'm still ahead. Thanks for the alert to watch for additional price adjustments. When I booked A, it was the same price as O, which we loved,but we thought that we would try the new line. If it doesn't live up to it's promotions, back to O. O, at least gave a 2 week grace period to pay in full and avoid the surcharge. By the way, I like your style and honest posts. Have a great day.

Thanks..I appreciate the kind words, sometimes I feel I am to direct and dont want people to take it the wrong way..I do get bawled out occasionally from a few cruise lines for telling the truth..but I have a strong constitution and at my age I dont scare easily..LOL

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

We booked the 23 Dec sailing on Journey from Buenos Aires for $3349 plus $550 for air from BWI. The cruise price has now dropped to $2599. I have called Azamara to get an adjustment. So far I’ve been told that it’s not possible to adjust the cruise price since I’m on an air promo. Is this true? Have you been able to get an adjustment even if you’re on an air promo? Appreciate your responses in advance.

I am holding a Sky Suite on Journey's 3/10 South American sailing. The price is so unbelievably low, I thought I'd come over here and see if could find out why... our fare includes air, $3425 pp and we get $250 shipboard credit. This is much less than our usual HAL pricing on an SA category.

We've only cruised HAL, but looking forward to the new experience.

We booked the 23 Dec sailing on Journey from Buenos Aires for $3349 plus $550 for air from BWI. The cruise price has now dropped to $2599. I have called Azamara to get an adjustment. So far I’ve been told that it’s not possible to adjust the cruise price since I’m on an air promo. Is this true? Have you been able to get an adjustment even if you’re on an air promo? Appreciate your responses in advance.

I haven't been in this situation so I can't give you a definitive answer. However, it makes sense. We booked this same cruise a little over a month ago, and it does not appear that prices have changed since then. Standard cruise air was no longer available--only custom air. I booked our air from Minneapolis and paid about $1000 more than you are paying from BWI. I asked about the Jan. 10 cruise and was told that cruise air would be over $1400. You may have come out ahead.

I am holding a Sky Suite on Journey's 3/10 South American sailing. The price is so unbelievably low, I thought I'd come over here and see if could find out why... our fare includes air, $3425 pp and we get $250 shipboard credit. This is much less than our usual HAL pricing on an SA category.

We've only cruised HAL, but looking forward to the new experience.

Am holding this cruise (1 day) 1A cat with air, transfers, complete inc. fuel surcharge, taxes, $2116. Could not pass up this deal. Hope to see you.

I have never heard of any other cruise line that refuses to honor price drops. I would keep calling and ask to speak to a supervisor, if they continue to not honor your request for an adjustment for the price drop.

Cruise prices by all cruise lines are a reflection of the demand for a particular cruise. Given the less than "premium" start-up experience, for the past six months on Azamara, there will no doubt continue to be price cuts until Azamara can attain "premium" status on a consistent basis. It is the old law of supply and demand at work.

My travel agent has closed (although the travel group they were a part of still exists). So when I called I was getting a run around that Celebrity agent couldn't do anything for me, that I had to call my travel agent. Even after I explained that my agent has closed. Grrrrrrr! The agent (a supervisor) made me feel like it was my fault that the agency closed. It was a very frustrating experience.

Strangely, the supervisor left me a voicemail last night saying that she'd extend us a discount but not equivalent to the price reductions

I think I'll short circuit this process with a letter to the Executive Offices.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an addendum to my OP. We just discovered that Azamara again reduced the price of our cruise which will save us nearly $1000 over the last reduction. This is now the third time our TA has had to adjust our 3/22 Journey Cruise which has dropped nearly 30% since last July. One can draw their own conclusions, but this would seem to indicate that bookings (at least for this cruise) are not going so well.

Hank

This is now the third time our TA has had to adjust our 3/22 Journey Cruise which has dropped nearly 30% since last July. One can draw their own conclusions, but this would seem to indicate that bookings (at least for this cruise) are not going so well.

Hank

Hank, I think you are correct that the itinerary has much to do with the pricing. Our February Quest cruise out of Miami for 14 nights has gone up by about 45-50% since we booked it last February. In July it showed as sold out. Some cabins have subsequently become available, but the demand seems high.

Bodger

My husband and I are considering Azamara, although not the 3/22 South America itinerary of the OP. However, we saw that cruise advertised today for $2399 including airfare and transfers from Miami for a balcony cabin. (I don't know if additional "fees" have to be added.) In addition, the travel agency was giving $300 in shipboard credit, a cocktail party, and a bottle of wine or champagne. If my back could handle the very long flights, I'd sign up tomorrow.

I think we'll choose the Quest from Miami on 3/29 for 2 weeks. The age 55+ fare in an unobstructed view oceanview cabin including everything will be $3721 for both of us. And I found a travel agent offering shipboard credit as well. Can't hardly afford to stay home, can you?

I'm glad we read this thread so we would know to look for good Azamara fares. I'll miss Oceania, but perhaps not for long.

My husband and I are considering Azamara, although not the 3/22 South America itinerary of the OP. However, we saw that cruise advertised today for $2399 including airfare and transfers from Miami for a balcony cabin. (I don't know if additional "fees" have to be added.) In addition, the travel agency was giving $300 in shipboard credit, a cocktail party, and a bottle of wine or champagne. If my back could handle the very long flights, I'd sign up tomorrow.

I think we'll choose the Quest from Miami on 3/29 for 2 weeks. The age 55+ fare in an unobstructed view oceanview cabin including everything will be $3721 for both of us. And I found a travel agent offering shipboard credit as well. Can't hardly afford to stay home, can you?

I'm glad we read this thread so we would know to look for good Azamara fares. I'll miss Oceania, but perhaps not for long.

We have long been fans of the old "R" ships which were our favorites when they were originally operated by Renaissance. When Oceania gobbled-up three of those ships we were pleased to see them continue much of what we had seen on Renaissance even if Oceania did charge substantially more money than we saw on "Ren." Now finally, all 8 of those "Ren" ships are again in operation (Oceania (3), Princess (3) and Celebrity/Azamara (2)), and marketed to the North American market, which makes us very happy campers. The proliferation of the huge megaships (my wife calls them the "Blight of the Seas") has left us small ship fans begging for more small ship options and now we may have our wish. On our recent Brilliance of the Seas transatlantic cruise we heard several cruisers remark that they only liked large ships and would never cruise with Oceania or Azamara. I hope they do not change their minds because its all about supply and demand and we do not want these "R" ships to become too popular :) That would only encourage the lines to increase their prices.

Hank

Archived