Which do you prefer-Eastern or Western Caribbean?

3redheads

Western or Eastern Caribbean  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Western or Eastern Caribbean

We've done both. Have even done the Southern on the Serenade.

Which do you prefer and why?

For me:

Eastern:

no interest in San Juan

would like to try St. John while visiting St Thomas

St Maarten-Little Divi Beach and the treetop obstacle course were good!

Western:

can't stand Ochos Rios

Cozumel-one of my favorites

Cayman-I've seen enough stingrays

I wish there were more exotic itineraries :confused: They just aren't offered during the times we are able to go.

Which do you prefer and why?

For me:

Eastern:

no interest in San Juan

can't stand San Juan - nothing to do, and dirty!

would like to try St. John while visiting St Thomas

LOVE LOVE LOVE St. Thomas!!!! Wish I could live there. Been to St. John also and it is great.

St Maarten-Little Divi Beach and the treetop obstacle course were good!

Have not been there, but going in December (FOS 7 day Eastern)

Western:

can't stand Ochos Rios

Never been but heard from quite a few people it is horrid.

Cozumel-one of my favorites

Love Cozumel - so much to do and see!

Cayman-I've seen enough stingrays

never been

I wish on the Eastern route they would replace something else for San Juan. I do not know anyone that likes it, and where the ships dock is on the old crappy part of town.

This is MY opinion, and others may disagree, which is fine.

Maybe someone can help - trying to find a good beach to go to in St. Maarten. Don't want a tour to a beach, just take a taxi to a beach and go and spend the day. Any suggestions???? I know alot of them say there might be some nudity, and I am not worried about that, cuz I don't care. But want somewhere hubby and I can go and relax and just sit.

Thanks!

Trina

I said "either" because I've only been on each once so I'm not really "tired" of them :p. BUT I have been looking at Eastern iteneraries because we loved St. Thomas and St. Maarten so much! I like how Mariner goes to Coco Cay on the eastern, too.

I'd LOVE to go to the Southern!!

Trina, when we went to St. Maarten, we got off the water taxi in the downtown area (I guess that's what it's called) and walked down the street a little ways then down one of the allies to the beach that you see to the left of the ship. It was really nice there. Also we could hop back on the water taxi for lunch and go back to the beach since it was $5 for the whole day. I hope that wasn't too confusing, lol.

My first choice is the southern but getting to San Juan is a real hassle from where we live. Eastern is a very close second. Though it seems there are so many more Western crusies these days.

I like both the eastern and the western, but I have to say I really love the western, there is so much history there. I love the fact that I can be on the beach one day and then be in the middle of no where looking at an ancient myan ruin how can you go wrong?

NOw if you also put a baja cruise on their I would chose that one hands down LOVED IT

I am crushed! I booked my family on the Maringer Western Caribbean in December. Now I am hearing all the ports stink!! Grrrreeeeaaat. Looks like I'll be walking the plank on this one. Well lesson learned. My wife said she didn't want to do anything but stay on the ship all week anyway. Too bad I already booke Nachi Cocom Beach Break for Cozumel. At least we can drink a little. So next time I will do the Eastern. I would do the Southern but I've heard terrible things about Peurto Rico and the people. Thanks for the info guy/gals......I am sooo crushed...uggg feel my pain..;) :D

I am crushed! I booked my family on the Maringer Western Caribbean in December. Now I am hearing all the ports stink!! Grrrreeeeaaat. Looks like I'll be walking the plank on this one. Well lesson learned. My wife said she didn't want to do anything but stay on the ship all week anyway. Too bad I already booke Nachi Cocom Beach Break for Cozumel. At least we can drink a little. So next time I will do the Eastern. I would do the Southern but I've heard terrible things about Peurto Rico and the people. Thanks for the info guy/gals......I am sooo crushed...uggg feel my pain..;) :D

There's really nothing wrong with the Western Caribbean, like many folks here, we've been there several times. Eastern is good because everybody I know loves St. Thomas. St. Johns, was just ok, San Juan is also ok and does have a few of my favorite local restaurants to have lunch at. My favorite route will always be any one that stops in Aruba. Can do without Curacoa, sort of dirty for my taste. Don't worry, where every you go, there is no such thing as a bad cruise.

Aubie

Well, now I have reserved both cruises. I had a 24 hour courtesy hold on the Eastern one, but was worried the 24 hours would run out before hubby got home.

For about $900 we can get an Owners Suite, new ship, different itinerary.

When I told hubby the Western went to Jamaica, he said, "NO WAY". He can't stand Jamaica, or Ochos Rios at least.

I think we're leaning towards the Eastern on the Freedom. Actually thought about doing another Southern, but on AOS instead of the Serenade, then I read some of the reviews on here :eek:

Thanks so much for your insight.

If you haven't gone before and gotten weary of those ports, you'll have a good time. Don't worry about it. As far as having booked that tour, I believe you can cancel it, can't you? Thought you could cancel up to 24 hours before it starts--even after you're on the ship. (I could be wrong.)

I love the Eastern Caribbean, but next year I'm going to sail back to the Western Caribbean again, because I haven't been there in a couple years. I really want to try Southern Caribbean, but I'm not flying to San Juan yet.

As far as having booked that tour, I believe you can cancel it, can't you? Thought you could cancel up to 24 hours before it starts--even after you're on the ship. (I could be wrong.)

Last time I checked which was August, it was 10 days with full refund.

Jimmers

My attitude is always the same during a winter vacation down south: Warm & Happy.

Nothin' like a few weeks of 20-below to increase the appreciation factor...

And spending those warm vacation days on a ship? The best. I only wish that I can accumulate enough cruises to actually get fussy about specific ports.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Archived