Seward Places To Stay

antmintj

We're booked on RCI for 7/25/08 out of Seward and will be there the day before embarkation (7/24). Most accomodations we looked at on-line in and around Seward already have "no rooms available for that date" posted on their websites. Could that be true or do we have to wait a little longer before they release rooms for summer '08? Any recommendations for places to stay, reasonable rates, near a stream would be ideal! We found only one & the prices were over $300 for the night :eek:

We're 4 adults and would appreciate any info-especially if you're already booked. Thanx!

Two years ago, we cruised Alaska, and in Seward we stayed at the Edgewater Hotel. It was not very big or very fancy, but a neat little hotel. I'm sorry but I do not remember the price. We arrived in Seward by Alaskan Rail, and the Edgewater had vans that made runs to the train station to pick up hotel guests. We befriended one of the van drivers, and whenever the 4 of us wanted to go somewhere, we told him and he would drive us there. He would never charge us, but we always gave him a tip for his trouble. Just as an FYI, walking distance from the hotel we found a day laundry service - we dropped it off in the morning, and they had it washed and folded by late afternoon so we could start the cruise off with all clean clothing. In Seward, the two men in our group took the Godwin Dogsled Tour which was booked on line. We ladies enjoyed that time shopping in the neat little stores in Seward. The guys chose to book the heli/dogsled tour in Seward - just in case they had poor weather in Seward, Godwin operated their tour in one of our other ports and they could reschedule it they needed to.

We're booked on RCI for 7/25/08 out of Seward and will be there the day before embarkation (7/24). Most accomodations we looked at on-line in and around Seward already have "no rooms available for that date" posted on their websites. Could that be true or do we have to wait a little longer before they release rooms for summer '08? Any recommendations for places to stay, reasonable rates, near a stream would be ideal! We found only one & the prices were over $300 for the night :eek:

We're 4 adults and would appreciate any info-especially if you're already booked. Thanx!

We booked our Seward lodging for July 6 & 7, 2008 in August 2007. We're at the Saltwater Lodge http://www.alaskasaltwaterlodge.com/ This place is supposed to be highly scenic and a little out of the center of town right on Resurrection Bay. We booked their largest suites with expansive views at $238 a night each (these are for four people each). Anyway, I'm not an expert here by an stretch, but in my planning I can say with some confidence that now is definitely not too early to be booking for next summer.

We booked our Seward lodging for July 6 & 7, 2008 in August 2007. We're at the Saltwater Lodge http://www.alaskasaltwaterlodge.com/ This place is supposed to be highly scenic and a little out of the center of town right on Resurrection Bay. We booked their largest suites with expansive views at $238 a night each (these are for four people each). Anyway, I'm not an expert here by an stretch, but in my planning I can say with some confidence that now is definitely not too early to be booking for next summer.

This actually is completely out of town and will require transportation for any activites outside of the lodge. Plus meals.

• 2 months later...

We stayed at the Bell In The Woods B & B in Seward. It was a colonial style house with about 2 or 3 rooms for guests. Everything was quite clean in our small bedroom with a private bath and the owner served a wonderful breakfast in the morning. It was just a few minutes outside of town and we read good reviews on Trip Advisor. We would stay there again just for the breakfast the owner served...it was wonderful! They have a web-site under: Bell In The Woods B & B (in Seward), Alaska. Enjoy your cruise.

Antmintj - another option in-town... we haven't been there yet, but are staying at the holiday inn express on the water in Aug '08. I chose it because we could walk around the town etc without worrying about driving around. It seemed convenient for restaurants, etc. It has gotten good reviews in these forums but it is not "in the woods"... definitely in-town. -- i checked the web and they have rooms available online for the date you wanted. Good luck with your search.. I'm sure wherever you end up will be grand!

Antmintj - another option in-town... we haven't been there yet, but are staying at the holiday inn express on the water in Aug '08. I chose it because we could walk around the town etc without worrying about driving around. It seemed convenient for restaurants, etc. It has gotten good reviews in these forums but it is not "in the woods"... definitely in-town. -- i checked the web and they have rooms available online for the date you wanted. Good luck with your search.. I'm sure wherever you end up will be grand!

For clairfication the Holiday Inn is not "in town", it's at the boat harbor. It's a 15-20 minute walk- downhill to the "town".

Katredd - It's true that the Holiday Inn is not in town, but it's very close to the cruise ship pier, the railroad, the Exit Glacier Guides, the fjords tours, the fishing boats, and restaurants. We managed very nicely without a car or taxi.

IMO the only must-see downtown is the Sea Life Center. Although more expensive than most places, I'd stay at the HI again if we return to Seward.

The HI is in the small boat harbor:

http://www.angelsrest.com/images/sewardcitymap_500.jpg

We stayed 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express last June, and it was the nicest HI Express I've seen. The location is great - especially for going on a Kenai Fjords cruise. Our room overlooked the small boat harbor, which would've been a prettier view if it hadn't been so overcast both days we were there. We had a rental car and drove to the SeaLife Center and to dinner at Apollo's afterwards (decent food, SLOW service). We went to Exit Glacier as we were leaving town on a gloriously sunny day!

We stayed at the Seward Windsong Lodge, which is out of town and on the road to Exit Glacier. It was in the country, with a by the road. Rooms were nice and rather large in size. Restaurant on site, and another on road to it. Took about 8 minutes to drive into Seward. They did have several shuttle vans and bus, but since we had a rental, did not use. Would stay there again.

We made reservations at a place I haven't seen mentioned on CC before - Bear Creek Cabins, is anyone familiar with it? We'll be spending 2 days in Seward prior to our cruise and thought that staying a few miles outside of town would be nice. My dad loves to fish and having the creek right on the property is definitely a plus.

The cabins are small but cute and their rates are comparable to the hotels in town plus each one has a fridge and microwave so we'll be able to relax and have breakfast in the cabin or out on the deck prior to heading out for the day. My son is looking forward to being able to say he went to Alaska for summer vacation and stayed in a cabin, even if it is a small one. :D - SF

We made reservations at a place I haven't seen mentioned on CC before - Bear Creek Cabins, is anyone familiar with it? We'll be spending 2 days in Seward prior to our cruise and thought that staying a few miles outside of town would be nice. My dad loves to fish and having the creek right on the property is definitely a plus.

The cabins are small but cute and their rates are comparable to the hotels in town plus each one has a fridge and microwave so we'll be able to relax and have breakfast in the cabin or out on the deck prior to heading out for the day. My son is looking forward to being able to say he went to Alaska for summer vacation and stayed in a cabin, even if it is a small one. :D - SF

From a post on Trip Advisor:

"We just returned from Alaska. Stayed 2 nights at Bear Creek Cabins. The cabin was great!! Very clean and comfy. Micro, frige and coffee maker provided. Definatley would stay here again. However, we did not see any bears or moose at the cabin."

Hi Antmintj, We are on the same cruise as you but we are staying 3 days in Seward at the Holiday Inn at the harbor. I booked it in September for $209 a night for 4 of us. We liked the close proximity to the harbor. There are so many interesting things to do in Seward therefore the 3 days. Have you posted on the Radiance board????

BudgetQueen & Suzanne123 - thanks much for the clarification on location for the HIE. I was trying to clarify that it isn't in a remote location -- but clearly I was off the in town part. We are looking forward to our stay there in August. Thanks again to both of you for all your great Alaska advice throughout the board!

BudgetQueen & Suzanne123 - thanks much for the clarification on location for the HIE. I was trying to clarify that it isn't in a remote location -- but clearly I was off the in town part. We are looking forward to our stay there in August. Thanks again to both of you for all your great Alaska advice throughout the board!

I would've said the Holiday Inn Express is "in" town - it just isn't "downtown"!

Thanks for all your input - We did finally settle on Windsong Lodge--a little pricey but it's for 4 of us-

Can't wait!

to mdeane- I haven't posted on the Radiance thread yet - I'll have to see if there's any more action on the roll call yet - hasn't been much before the holidays

Archived