NextCruise - Everything you need to know

Hi Laurie, as was previously posted..........when you make a NC booking on a ship............you will receive an onboard credit which is determined by the length of the cruise once the NC is changed into a specific itinerary/ship/sailing date. The onboard credit is considered an offer.

C&A Savings Certificates are also considered offers and as of July 31, 2008, C&A started to enforce the rule that only one offer can be combined with any/all benefits. Benefits being OBC from Shareholder Benefits, OBC from redeeming Visa Points, P/D/D+ balcony discount.

So you would have to determine which is more important the OBC or the $$$ off coupon.

As far as booking a room in your daughter's name..........I do believe that the age to book is 21.............but you can find the answer to this easily on the RCI website under Frequently Asked Questions.

My suggestion to you is that when you make your NC booking, put it in just your name, so that would be a $100 non-refundable deposit............then ask for 2 C&A Friends & Family Certificates. These certificates are linked to your NC booking number and once you have changed your NC into a specific itinerary/ship/sailing date............then those that you have given the F&F certificates to have 30 days to book the same cruise as you have done.

Doing it this way you will only be out of pocket $100 and you will still have a certificate to use to book a cabin for your daughter. Also, if you put a NC booking in two names............at least one of those listed must be on the cruise.

Hope I haven't confus4ed you too much.

So if I understand correctly, then there is no point getting NC if you own Shares. Presently I was getting OBC for both.

Suz

So if I understand correctly, then there is no point getting NC if you own Shares. Presently I was getting OBC for both.

Suz

Definitely get your OBC from your Shareholder benefits. That is considered a benefit and you can combine that with the offer of an OBC for booking a NC or a specific cruise while on board.

Any benefit.............OBC from owning 100 shares of stock, redeeming VISA points for OBC or $$$ off a cruise, and C&A P/D/D+ balcony discounts can be combined with any OBC received from either booking a NC or a specific cruise while on board where an OBC is attached to it.

The other "offer" would be a C&A Savings Certificate. If one became available you would have to decide whether to use it or keep the OBC from booking on board..............you can not use both.

Weird. My computer freaked out. You can't use the Next Cruise OBC with a C&A Savings certificate. (apparently) They are both "offers" from the cruise line.

The Shareholder's OBC and the loyalty balcony discounts are "benefits" and may be combined with the Next Cruise OBC OR a Savings Certificate, but not both. :)

The previous post was inquiring about promotional OBC from the WOW sale(I think). It appears that you can't combine that OBC with much of anything. :)

Weird. My computer freaked out. You can't use the Next Cruise OBC with a C&A Savings certificate. (apparently) They are both "offers" from the cruise line.

The Shareholder's OBC and the loyalty balcony discounts are "benefits" and may be combined with the Next Cruise OBC OR a Savings Certificate, but not both. :)

The previous post was inquiring about promotional OBC from the WOW sale(I think). It appears that you can't combine that OBC with much of anything. :)

Definitely get your OBC from your Shareholder benefits. That is considered a benefit and you can combine that with the offer of an OBC for booking a NC or a specific cruise while on board.

Any benefit.............OBC from owning 100 shares of stock, redeeming VISA points for OBC or $$$ off a cruise, and C&A P/D/D+ balcony discounts can be combined with any OBC received from either booking a NC or a specific cruise while on board where an OBC is attached to it.

The other "offer" would be a C&A Savings Certificate. If one became available you would have to decide whether to use it or keep the OBC from booking on board..............you can not use both.

Thanks for the quick answer. Now it is clear.

Suz

It sounds like the key here is understanding what category the different discount/freebies come from. Since Explorer of the Seas in August never seems to have any savings certificates attached to it.....

Let's say I'm on there this August, go with NextCruise and put $100.00 down for me and the DH. I can still use my RCI card OBCs, and any OBCs from being a stockholder.

I can get the friends and family C&A coupon, and then when I'm sure my daughters both can go, we can book their room. Both of them are sure they want to go, and my older daughter will be 21 at the time. I'm just playing it safe, just in case a work obligation makes it hard for her to schedule and I take one of my neices with my younger daughter, for example.

I guess it's the C&A savings certificates that cannot be combined with a NC credit, correct?

I am not a stockholder yet, but I have wanted to dabble a bit with these, and RCI stock would be of interest to me. I see from the RCI website that they closed at $27.29 a share today.

What exactly are the overall benefits of friend and family certificates? I guess I'm wondering if when I decide to book my cruise, and then book a room for my daughters, is there a benefit associated with the F&F coupon that they would not have otherwise?

I apologize if I seem stupid or repetitive. I'm just looking for ways to maximize my benefits and savings, so I need to understand the pros and cons of them first.

I've answered your questions within your quote...........thought it was easier this way.

It sounds like the key here is understanding what category the different discount/freebies come from. Since Explorer of the Seas in August never seems to have any savings certificates attached to it..... All you have to remember is what are "offers" and what are "benefits". We never had this much confusion until July 31, 2008 when C&A started to enforce their new rule.

Just remember that an offer is an OBC from booking either a NC or a specific cruise while on a ship and a C&A savings Certificate for $$$ off a specific cruise.

A benefit is OBC from owning 100 shares of RCI stock, Redeeming Visa Points and P/D/D+ balcony discounts.

One offer can be combined with any/all benefits.

Let's say I'm on there this August, go with NextCruise and put $100.00 down for me and the DH. I can still use my RCI card OBCs, and any OBCs from being a stockholder. Absolutely

I can get the friends and family C&A coupon, and then when I'm sure my daughters both can go, we can book their room. Both of them are sure they want to go, and my older daughter will be 21 at the time. I'm just playing it safe, just in case a work obligation makes it hard for her to schedule and I take one of my neices with my younger daughter, for example. Now you've got it!!:D

I guess it's the C&A savings certificates that cannot be combined with a NC credit, correct? Correct. You have to decide between the $$$ off a cruise or the OBC to spend on the cruise.

I am not a stockholder yet, but I have wanted to dabble a bit with these, and RCI stock would be of interest to me. I see from the RCI website that they closed at $27.29 a share today. It's a great investment if you have some free cash and the benefits are outstanding.

What exactly are the overall benefits of friend and family certificates? I guess I'm wondering if when I decide to book my cruise, and then book a room for my daughters, is there a benefit associated with the F&F coupon that they would not have otherwise? The OBC is the biggest benefit from the F&F certificates. Booking the same cruise as you do gets them the same OBC as you do.

I apologize if I seem stupid or repetitive. I'm just looking for ways to maximize my benefits and savings, so I need to understand the pros and cons of them first. It's better to ask and hopefully get the right answers than to find out later that things just aren't what they appear to be. You must realize that the conditions of a NC or F&F certs can change at any time.

Hope you can help me and give my some guidance on this one Patti.

This evening my DH's friend who had purchased a Next Cruise last year called to book a cruise on Mariner. When they asked him if he wanted to pay in CDN or US funds he said CDN.

The booking was made mistakenly in CDN funds and then I realized if he wants to transfer this booking to a US based TA the booking needs to be in US funds.

I suggested he call back right away and ask them to change it to US funds.

That $100 US Next Cruise just became $100 CDN with no conversion according to the agent. The agent said that he could not change the booking back to US funds as the next Cruise booking had now CDN funds assigned to it. This all happened in a matter of 10 minutes at most.

This does not make sense as he paid the $100 for the Next Cruise in US funds when he purchased it. I know of others who booked in CDN and then have changed to US funds later but did not have a Next Cruise involved.

Does this sound right?

Also as a side note can one transfer a CDN funds booking to a US based travel agent..I thought not

Thanks for any help

Hope you can help me and give my some guidance on this one Patti.

This evening my DH's friend who had purchased a Next Cruise last year called to book a cruise on Mariner. When they asked him if he wanted to pay in CDN or US funds he said CDN.

The booking was made mistakenly in CDN funds and then I realized if he wants to transfer this booking to a US based TA the booking needs to be in US funds.

I suggested he call back right away and ask them to change it to US funds.

That $100 US Next Cruise just became $100 CDN with no conversion according to the agent. The agent said that he could not change the booking back to US funds as the next Cruise booking had now CDN funds assigned to it. This all happened in a matter of 10 minutes at most.

This does not make sense as he paid the $100 for the Next Cruise in US funds when he purchased it. I know of others who booked in CDN and then have changed to US funds later but did not have a Next Cruise involved.

Does this sound right?

Also as a side note can one transfer a CDN funds booking to a US based travel agent..I thought not

Thanks for any help

Hi Emmy..............Oh my...........you're speaking US funds vs CDN funds and I am sorry, for once I have no answer. Do you think that anyone in the Resolutions Department might be able to help him?

Hopefully, one of your fellow Canadians will see this and give you an answer.

Hi Emmy..............Oh my...........you're speaking US funds vs CDN funds and I am sorry, for once I have no answer. Do you think that anyone in the Resolutions Department might be able to help him?

Hopefully, one of your fellow Canadians will see this and give you an answer.

The agent he spoke with just did not make sense. I will try and phone someone for him tomorrow to see if I can get better information.

He paid for the Next Cruise in US funds on the ship last year but the agent said there is no currency attached to it until you say in what currency you want to book. Funny how you can reverse a usual deposit but not the Next Cruise..at least this is what he tried to tell him.

I thought my next cruise credit was also in U.S. funds.

I called Crown and Anchor after getting home and since it had not shown up on my credit card yet, I did not know. I could not use it on my next cruise because the group of 20 that are going with me are booked in U.S. funds and the whole group has to book in the same currency. I thought that since everything on the ship is in U.S. funds that so would the next credit. I learned the hard way.

I thought my next cruise credit was also in U.S. funds.

I called Crown and Anchor after getting home and since it had not shown up on my credit card yet, I did not know. I could not use it on my next cruise because the group of 20 that are going with me are booked in U.S. funds and the whole group has to book in the same currency. I thought that since everything on the ship is in U.S. funds that so would the next credit. I learned the hard way.

Well this info contradicts what the agent said. He said there is no currency value until you tell them when you go to book a sailing. My friend was asked do you want this booking in CDN or US funds

Way too much confusion on this Next Cruise stuff. :eek:Will see how things work out this afternoon when DS who was also did his next cruise on the same sailing tries to book Mariner for March.He will be booking in US funds

(personally I always do)

Again does anyone know for sure if you can transfer a booking made in CDN funds to a US travel agent.

Yes this is very confusing. We even said if the exchange rate is any different then we'll pay the difference. We even offered to have them refund the original and we would purchase again in U.S. funds. Definitely a no go. I am group leader for my 20 person group and they couldn't have cared less. Had to use it at a later date for a cruise that I book in Canadian.

Yes this is very confusing. We even said if the exchange rate is any different then we'll pay the difference. We even offered to have them refund the original and we would purchase again in U.S. funds. Definitely a no go. I am group leader for my 20 person group and they couldn't have cared less. Had to use it at a later date for a cruise that I book in Canadian.

So when you purchased the next cruise on the sailing you were on was that cruise booked and paid in CDN funds? is that how the CDN value got attached to your Next Cruise?

Here's my new NC experience ... seems like I get a new, fun wrinkle every time.

I saw a rate I loved for this weekend, so I called to book. It was evidently a special sale price. I asked the operator if I could use a NextCruise, and he said sure. When he tried to apply it, of course he was not able to. The then could not get it "back" to a NC, and neither could his manager. His "compromise" was to book me on a 3 days cruise in 2010 that I could change when I figured out what booking I wanted ... guess I need to call C&A at some point to see if they can help get it straightened out.

what is the advantage of next cruise bookings? we will be on EOS in a few days so we might want to take advantage of this, it will be for my BF and i only. just to make sure i am reading this right, we will get an OB credit (depending on length of cruise). Can we use any other coupons in addition to the automatic OB credit when we decide to actually book the cruise? there are usually ones on the RC booklets we get in the mail.

can we book on line with RC or do we get a contact person when we make our "next cruise booking"? i am assuming we can only book directly with RC and not other travel websites.

The cruise I was on I did pay Canadian funds but there were no questions put to me at all about what currrency to put the next credit in. I assumed and I was wrong that everything that I put on my seapass card was in U.S. funds. I have learned and it won't happen again.

what is the advantage of next cruise bookings? we will be on EOS in a few days so we might want to take advantage of this, it will be for my BF and i only. just to make sure i am reading this right, we will get an OB credit (depending on length of cruise). Can we use any other coupons in addition to the automatic OB credit when we decide to actually book the cruise? there are usually ones on the RC booklets we get in the mail.

can we book on line with RC or do we get a contact person when we make our "next cruise booking"? i am assuming we can only book directly with RC and not other travel websites.

It is my understanding but Patti can clarify that if you book a Next Cruise you

cannot use any other coupons like the Savings Certificate but you can still use the Platinum/Diamond discount and your Shareholder credits.

I do not think you can book online with RCI with a Next Cruise but would have to call one of the vacation planners. You can book with a Travel agent but the Next Cruise has to be transferred from RCI to the travel agent.

I just used one of mine and the travel agent transferred it from RCI to them. Actually just received the invoice a few minutes ago.

When I purchase my Next Cruise I do not attach it to any travel agent. I decide that later.

Like Weechloe said sometimes they do not ask when you are purchasing it what funds you want it in. I make sure I say US funds.

On another note when my son and his friend did their Next Cruise booking last August on Liberty they did not receive anything from the Loyalty Ambassador. Granted I think they did the booking on the last day. I highly recommend doing it early on in the cruise to ensure the paperwork gets to you or if it doesn't you can follow up on it while still on the ship.

They were told they would get an email and none ever came so all they had was a credit card statement that had a $100. purchase on it. That was their proof. So when they went to do the booking this week they had to call and have someone look up the Next Cruise booking number. They also missed out on the Friends/Family certificates..they received none.

They did this on Liberty in Aug 2007 when the program was still new.

up to five nights - $50

six to eight nights - $100

nine nights or longer - $200

Merion Mom,

Where did you get the above information? I ask because that is what I thought, but RCCL is trying to tell me that it must be 10nights or longer to get the $200 onboard credit!!

I'm trying to find some written documentation of what I was told when I purchased my nextcruise option.

Thanks!

Merion Mom,

Where did you get the above information? I ask because that is what I thought, but RCCL is trying to tell me that it must be 10nights or longer to get the $200 onboard credit!!

I'm trying to find some written documentation of what I was told when I purchased my nextcruise option.

Thanks!

The OBCs were changed as of December 17, 2007. They now are

$ 50 for sailings of 3-5 night

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200 for sailings of 10+ nights

cannot use any other coupons like the Savings Certificate but you can still use the Platinum/Diamond discount and your Shareholder credits.

I do not think you can book online with RCI with a Next Cruise but would have to call one of the vacation planners. You can book with a Travel agent but the Next Cruise has to be transferred from RCI to the travel agent.

I just used one of mine and the travel agent transferred it from RCI to them. Actually just received the invoice a few minutes ago.

When I purchase my Next Cruise I do not attach it to any travel agent. I decide that later.

Like Weechloe said sometimes they do not ask when you are purchasing it what funds you want it in. I make sure I say US funds.

On another note when my son and his friend did their Next Cruise booking last August on Liberty they did not receive anything from the Loyalty Ambassador. Granted I think they did the booking on the last day. I highly recommend doing it early on in the cruise to ensure the paperwork gets to you or if it doesn't you can follow up on it while still on the ship.

They were told they would get an email and none ever came so all they had was a credit card statement that had a $100. purchase on it. That was their proof. So when they went to do the booking this week they had to call and have someone look up the Next Cruise booking number. They also missed out on the Friends/Family certificates..they received none.

You are good :D ........everything you have posted is correct. Just to add one other thing............you can also use RCI Visa points with a NC.

When you make a NC booking there is a booking number assigned to it that only becomes active when you change it into a specific cruise. So you can not use a NC for WOW sales or some special promos as those are for NEW bookings only.

The OBCs were changed as of December 17, 2007. They now are

$ 50 for sailings of 3-5 night

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200 for sailings of 10+ nights

I understand that, but since I purchased the nextcruise option in August of 2007, I should be entitled to the $200, shouldn't I? When I signed up for the program and gave them my $200 while onboard the Mariner, the offer was for $200 on 9+ nights.

I did not book my cruise until March of 2008, but the offer was made to me in 2007! I don't know if what I am saying makes sense.....

I understand that, but since I purchased the nextcruise option in August of 2007, I should be entitled to the $200, shouldn't I? When I signed up for the program and gave them my $200 while onboard the Mariner, the offer was for $200 on 9+ nights.

I did not book my cruise until March of 2008, but the offer was made to me in 2007! I don't know if what I am saying makes sense.....

I understand what you are saying and if you want you can call and speak to someone in the Resolutions Department and voice your displeasure and see what they say.

I know that they will most probably tell you that things are subject to change without notice. Even the P/D/D+ balcony discounts changed on December 15, 2007.

Just an FYI - I booked a cruise last week that did have a savings certificate of $150. I asked the RC agent if I could use a Next Cruise with the savings certificate, and the agent said yes. Both were applied. Maybe I was just lucky.:rolleyes:

Carol........you sure were. Wonder how long that rep will be working for RCI!:p

Can you do me a favor and go back to post 282 where Emmy is asking the question about booking NC from a Canadian's point of view?

thanks for your response, but what is the advantage of a next cruise booking? (doesn't look like you addressed that). thanks again.