Hello and more newbie questions

Mydnite

Hi, I've been reading for a few days and the forum scenes very informative with a loss of knowledgeable people. I've found the answers to a lot of questions, but I still have a few very ‘newbie’ questions that I would really appreciate some help with. We are planning our first cruise in September 2008 on Mariner of the Seas, she looks a great ship, we are planning on getting a balcony as well. The only thing is that as we have never sailed before we don't really know what to expect, so hopefully you can help :)

1. If you buy the drinks plan for six dollars a day I know this only covers lunch and drinks not can, but does this mean fountain drinks in all the restaurants and bars as well or is it more likely refillable mugs at Disney where you have to visit a fountain stand and help yourself. If it covers drinks for meals than it sounds like it might be good idea.

2. I think I read somewhere that there were some limited drinks are free during the day including tea, coffee and lemonade. Is this correct, it is easy to get to and is the lemonade any good.

3. I know all the meals are included, and room service is included (with the need to pay an extra gratuity), but what snacks are available. I don’t tend to eat large meals and often skip them, but it is useful to know what snacks can be got from where.

4. If we are doing 2 cruises back-to-back (eastern and western), how does this work on the changeover day, we have been told by the travel agent we're thinking of using will be able to book is the same cabin both cruises and we won't have to do disembark then re-embark. I assumed that we will have to do settle up one cruise to sea pass and hand out gratuities and then started it a gain for the next cruise. Any tips on this scenario be gratefully received.

5. We will flying to Orlando and rent a car so that we can fly in a few days early and spent some time on the coast. Does anyone have any suggestions on where is a good place to go and decent hotels.

6. What car hire firms have a depot or drop point at the port, I really don't want to have to deal with making arrangements to get from a car hire office to the port. I tried getting a quote from the Dollar site but it looks like their closest office is Daytona Beach.

First welcome to the boards.

1. If you buy the drinks plan for six dollars a day I know this only covers lunch and drinks not can, but does this mean fountain drinks in all the restaurants and bars as well or is it more likely refillable mugs at Disney where you have to visit a fountain stand and help yourself. If it covers drinks for meals than it sounds like it might be good idea. The soda plan is unlimited, you get a little sticker on your sign and sail card that you show at any of the bars to get your soda. It is not limited to a certain time of the day.

2. I think I read somewhere that there were some limited drinks are free during the day including tea, coffee and lemonade. Is this correct, it is easy to get to and is the lemonade any good. I love the lemonade and that is what I drink the whole cruise or just plain old water which is delicious. They are readily available in the Windjammer area

3. I know all the meals are included, and room service is included (with the need to pay an extra gratuity), but what snacks are available. I don’t tend to eat large meals and often skip them, but it is useful to know what snacks can be got from where. there is the Promenade cafe where you can get pizza, sandwiches, cookies, etc. all free

4. If we are doing 2 cruises back-to-back (eastern and western), how does this work on the changeover day, we have been told by the travel agent we're thinking of using will be able to book is the same cabin both cruises and we won't have to do disembark then re-embark. I assumed that we will have to do settle up one cruise to sea pass and hand out gratuities and then started it a gain for the next cruise. Any tips on this scenario be gratefully received. You don't have to move out of your room if you have the same one. They do it slightly different on different ships, but you should get a letter the first week outlining the procedure. Also make sure the first week you go a speak to the Loyalty ambassador to sign up for the Crown and Anchor so that the 2nd week you get a gift and invited to the past guest cocktail party.

5. We will flying to Orlando and rent a car so that we can fly in a few days early and spent some time on the coast. Does anyone have any suggestions on where is a good place to go and decent hotels. Well Disney is right there, or you could go to the Cape Kennedy.

6. What car hire firms have a depot or drop point at the port, I really don't want to have to deal with making arrangements to get from a car hire office to the port. I tried getting a quote from the Dollar site but it looks like their closest office is Daytona Beach. Sorry don't know this one.

Welcome to CC. Here's some B2B info.

I've done 4 B2B cruises, most recently on Radiance earlier this month. Each time I've had different cabins. Exactly how things get handled depends on the ship and your departure port, but in general:

> You get a different Sea Pass for each cruise.

> Let your cabin steward know you are doing B2Bs.

> Toward the end of your first cruise, consider seeking out the cabin steward for your 2nd cruise and let him know you are coming.

> Also check with Guest Relations on what their B2B protocol is. Sometime you will get a good answer, othertimes you will get a blank stare.

> You will pack up on the last night of the first cruise, but you do not put anything outside your door.

> On this night, you should also receive a letter from Guest Relations explaining the B2B process, along with your new Sea Passes.

> The next morning, move your items to your new stateroom. If the new cabin steward knows your coming, it may already be cleaned. If not, just place your items in the closet and go roam the ship or go ashore.

> RCI may tell you that your cabin steward will move your items; this may be true, I've just never asked them to do it.

> If you go ashore, you will need your new Sea Passes to reboard. You will not need your 2nd Set Sail sheet. It's also good to have your passport.

> Invariably, your new Sea Pass will not be linked to your credit card. Stop by Guest Relations and have them hook things up to avoid any issues.

Hope that helps.

Hi, I've been reading for a few days and the forum scenes very informative with a loss of knowledgeable people. I've found the answers to a lot of questions, but I still have a few very ‘newbie’ questions that I would really appreciate some help with. We are planning our first cruise in September 2008 on Mariner of the Seas, she looks a great ship, we are planning on getting a balcony as well. The only thing is that as we have never sailed before we don't really know what to expect, so hopefully you can help :) Balconies are awesome. Iwill be sailing Mariner in Jan.

1. If you buy the drinks plan for six dollars a day I know this only covers lunch and drinks not can, but does this mean fountain drinks in all the restaurants and bars as well or is it more likely refillable mugs at Disney where you have to visit a fountain stand and help yourself. If it covers drinks for meals than it sounds like it might be good idea. When you purchase the soda card they give you a covered mug. You use the mug during the day while at the pool etc. During mealtimes they have lemonade and tea and coffee which come with the meal. With the soda card you can order soda and show your card and not be charged extra for it. You get your mug refilled at the bars - the bartenders do it for you.

2. I think I read somewhere that there were some limited drinks are free during the day including tea, coffee and lemonade. Is this correct, it is easy to get to and is the lemonade any good. My son drank the lemonade and liked it. I usually had the lemonade at lunch and enjoyed it as well.

3. I know all the meals are included, and room service is included (with the need to pay an extra gratuity), but what snacks are available. I don’t tend to eat large meals and often skip them, but it is useful to know what snacks can be got from where. The Windjammer (buffet restaurant) is open many hours during the day and you can get drinks and snacks there. Also on the Royal Promenade there is a cafe that you can go to and get food and drinks. They also serve food iat the Solarium pool.

4. If we are doing 2 cruises back-to-back (eastern and western), how does this work on the changeover day, we have been told by the travel agent we're thinking of using will be able to book is the same cabin both cruises and we won't have to do disembark then re-embark. I assumed that we will have to do settle up one cruise to sea pass and hand out gratuities and then started it a gain for the next cruise. Any tips on this scenario be gratefully received.

5. We will flying to Orlando and rent a car so that we can fly in a few days early and spent some time on the coast. Does anyone have any suggestions on where is a good place to go and decent hotels.

6. What car hire firms have a depot or drop point at the port, I really don't want to have to deal with making arrangements to get from a car hire office to the port. I tried getting a quote from the Dollar site but it looks like their closest office is Daytona Beach.

I have answered the ones I know. I'm sure people who know the other answers will help you out. .Hope I've answered to your satisfaction. Good luck and happy cruising.:)

Rent from Thrifty or Avis at the Orlando airport, drive to Port Canaveral, and drop off the car. Both have shuttles that will take you to the ship. No car rental company has a facility right at the port.

That is an interesting observation on this website..." a loss of knowledgeable people" LOL:D I think that quite knowledgeable people have answered most of your questions. :D <jk>

The only hotel in Cocoa Beach with an actual beach is the Best Western. There are very nice hotels that are closer to the port ....Radisson, and a new "Suite" hotel, I don't know the name.

For rental cars you need to put in "Cocoa Beach" since that is the name of the town. Budget and Hertz both have nearby drop offs and shuttles to the pier the morning of your cruise. There may be others, too. National is some distance away and requires a cab. If you are spending a couple of days before your cruise, a rental car is the way to go. :D

That is an interesting observation on this website..." a loss of knowledgeable people" LOL:D I think that quite knowledgeable people have answered most of your questions. :D <jk>

Opps, sorry typo, that was meant to say a LOT!

Thank you for these replies thney are very helpful :)

Just a note: Iced Tea is also free, and it's very good. Unsweetened, so you add your own sweetener.

We rent from Avis or Budget. They have locations right inside Orlando airport, and are about a mile or two from the port with free shuttle service. Hertz is also right there, but usually more expensive.

We've stayed in the Residence Inn hotel - it's all suites and breakfast is included. There's a Country Inn and Suites next door that is nice too, and usually has better rates. Neither of these are directly on the beach.

As someone else mentioned, when doing a search for hotels, etc, use Cocoa Beach in addition to Cape Canaveral.

The Mariner is an awesome ship - you will LOVE her!

Go over to the East Coast Departure boards for more information on Port Canaveral/Orlando.

Hi, I've been reading for a few days and the forum scenes very informative with a loss of knowledgeable people. I've found the answers to a lot of questions, but I still have a few very ‘newbie’ questions that I would really appreciate some help with. We are planning our first cruise in September 2008 on Mariner of the Seas, she looks a great ship, we are planning on getting a balcony as well. The only thing is that as we have never sailed before we don't really know what to expect, so hopefully you can help :)

1. If you buy the drinks plan for six dollars a day I know this only covers lunch and drinks not can, but does this mean fountain drinks in all the restaurants and bars as well or is it more likely refillable mugs at Disney where you have to visit a fountain stand and help yourself. If it covers drinks for meals than it sounds like it might be good idea.The fee covers all soft drinks-- any restaurant any time- you'll love the Mariner-- she;s one of my favorites- we took her on our first cruise-- !!!

2. I think I read somewhere that there were some limited drinks are free during the day including tea, coffee and lemonade. Is this correct, it is easy to get to and is the lemonade any good.They're available in the buffet all day.

3. I know all the meals are included, and room service is included (with the need to pay an extra gratuity), but what snacks are available. I don’t tend to eat large meals and often skip them, but it is useful to know what snacks can be got from where.Depending on what you want in the way of snacks-- there is a place in the promenade-- name escapes me sorry- that serves pizza and pasteries and coffee all day- there is also ive cream-- but you need to pay--we use to take fruit from breakfast or the buffet and some cookies back to our cabin/. We had the room steward clear out the mini bar the first day and used it to store things we took from the buffet or drinks we had to keep them cld. I would recommend if there is something you particularly like bring them with you- we brought a case of bottled water and took bottled water with us at all our stops-=-especially in Mexico where you don't want to drink anything,

4. If we are doing 2 cruises back-to-back (eastern and western), how does this work on the changeover day, we have been told by the travel agent we're thinking of using will be able to book is the same cabin both cruises and we won't have to do disembark then re-embark. I assumed that we will have to do settle up one cruise to sea pass and hand out gratuities and then started it a gain for the next cruise. Any tips on this scenario be gratefully received.I;m so jealous-wouldlove to do a turnaround cruise,

5. We will flying to Orlando and rent a car so that we can fly in a few days early and spent some time on the coast. Does anyone have any suggestions on where is a good place to go and decent hotels. You can getany price hotel in Orlando- if you are staying near disney-- and are a public serviant ( fire, nurse, teacher etc) the Dolpin and the Swan at disney has a great 1/2 price package.Make sure you rent from a rental company that has a drop off near the docks and will drive you to the port. we dropped out friends and luggage off at the pier and then went to return the car and met up with the rest of our party before they embarked. saved a lot of loading and unloading luggage.

We used Hertz-- shop around at their site- and go to discount codes.com for discoutns- they are very competitive-- don't accept the first price they offer you.

Enjoy Mariner-it was the best- and take in the specialty restaurants-- what a treat!! even worth the $20~~

Archived