To those sailing from Florida this weekend

DocJohnB

As bad as it gets when a hurricane hits a coastal area, it can be pretty bad inland over a hundred miles from the coast. In 1996, I had the good (?) fortune to experience Hurricane Fran. I live in Raleigh, NC, approximately 125 miles from where Fran came ashore. The eye passed directly over Raleigh and we experienced winds of 100 mph.

This city looked like a war zone for weeks after the storm and cleanup continued for a full year after Fran was long gone. The bottom line is you don't want to go anywhere near Florida if you don't live there. Stay out of the state and don't become part of the problem. It's not worth it.

Consider this. Even if your cruise is scheduled to leave on Sunday, and Frances is well past the area when you fly into Florida, it is going to be days before airline schedules are back to normal. Then there is the issue of safely traveling in the area. I can guarantee that there will be a huge mess if Frances is still a Category 4 storm, or worse, when it hits.

EMW2280,

Believe me when I say to you that it is unfortunate that this thing is happening on your honeymoon.

With any luck and a lot of love and understanding you and you new spouse will celebrate 50 years of wedded bliss. I truly, sincerely mean this.

You wrote: "I have another options for a trip to Hawaii, but i have to book that by tommrow morning or that is out the window".

My (unsolicited) advice: Take this option, don't even think about it. You will not be cruising out of Florida this weekend. Worry about the money part of it when you get back. I know these are words you don't want to hear, but it is the best advice you probably will get before your honeymoon.

Good luck and ENJOY YOURSELVES. :D

I pray for all in Florida. I have cruised out of Miami twice. I dodged hurricanes last year out of Puerto Rico. I hope we make it out of Puerto Rico in two weeks aboard the AOS.

It is great when everything works out, but we still realize the gamble we take cruising in September. You weigh the reduced prices vs. the risk of hurricanes and always - ALWAYS BUY THE INSURANCE!!!

Thank you Doc John! I've read a few of the complaining posts in the last few days and while I feel very sorry for them, I have a hard time empathizing with their situation.

Hurricane season runs from approx June 15 to Nov 1 EVERY SINGLE YEAR. If you book a cruise during that timeframe you run the risk of having your dream vacation disrupted. My best friend got married 8 years ago in September and because of my great cruise stories, she considered a cruise for her honeymoon. I talked her out of it... sort of. I warned her what could happen in September with Hurricanes and she decided it wasn't worth the risk. They still took a cruise, but waited until the following May and had a belated honeymoon.

Me, I'm still a risk taker and have a cruise scheduled for October 11. Risky, yes, but I know the consequences since a have LOTS of family in Florida. My Dad and Sister with 3 kids live in Bonita Springs, about 40 minutes from where Charley hit land. Thankfully the worst they experienced was a couple of days without power and almost a week without telephone service and a few branches and minor landscaping damage. With Frances coming, my cousin in Ft. Lauderdale has hopped in his RV with his wife and are trying to outguess where Frances will be and are literally driving for their lives this evening. My niece is in college in St. Augustine. My sister drove to Orlando this morning to pick her up only to find out that the friend who was supposed to bring her to Orlando freaked out in the middle of the night last night and left for her home without my niece. My sister then had to drive back from Orlando in a standstill traffic jam and my 18 year old niece is scared out of her wits and by herself in St. Augustine.

Do not blame the cruiselines. They can NOT predict when, where, or how devistating Frances is or any other hurricane for that matter. I applaud them for their timely updates, even if it is frustrating for some of you and you wish they would give you more details.

EMW, book your honeymoon to Hawaii and be glad you made the change.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but forgive me, I'm scared silly for my family and have lost patience for the whiners.

Hi Doc:) just wanted to thank you for your post.........

FC...they keep saying this hurricane is the size of TEXAS....ya'll know what they say about Texas?;)

Anyway....my best thoughts and good wishes go out to everyone as well......not sure If Jacksonville is going to get hit or not:eek:

Hurricane season is June 1 through November 30. There HAVE been hurricanes and tropical storms outside those months as well. Historically they have happened during ELEVEN months of the year! In addition there are extratropical storms up further north in the Atlantic. These fearsome storms are considered "acts of God" and are outside the control of the cruise lines, the Floridian chambers of commerce etc. We have had many years of good luck in Florida. It's about a decade since Andrew. Getting out of bed in the morning can be a risk. Taking a vacation by ANY means is also a risk. There are traffic accidents, airplane accidents, train accidents, ship accidents and even accidents walking down the sidewalk. If all that weren't enough, there are idiots out there who commit acts of terrorism in the name of god, or national unity or hatred or who knows?? I am sorry for everyone who had their cruise vacations ruined by this storm. I am also sorry for the folks who lost parts of their homes in Charley and who now have to face Frances.

Archived