Serenade - need help deciding

Outofhere

I have been reading boards for weeks trying to decide. Has anyone taken the Serenade and what time of year? I'm leaning toward June since some have said there's a little less rain. We can only do 7 nights due to work schedules though we'll take one extra day to fly into Vancouver. Some have also said that a Princess cruise would be better because they have been doing it longer but I keep leaning toward Serenade. I know the advantage of doing a Southern cruise is getting to see more and I think if we were to decide that I might lean toward Princess but I'm not sure if we want to spend all that extra time flying. My husband is not a fan of sitting on planes all day - the trip to Vancouver from NY is probably all he can take. I finally convinced him to take this cruise (he prefers warmer vacations) and I want him to enjoy the trip.

I am sure you will love the Serenade but have you considered a 7 night on Radiance either Vancouver to Seward or vice versa. That is what we are doing and seems you see more of Alaska. Just a thought.

As you have learned, there are as many opinions about Alaska as there are moose in the woods! So I will restrict my answer to your specific question: Serenade of the Seas (and all of the Radiance class ships) are absolutely beautiful ships and you would have a wonderful time on her!

Have a GREAT cruise!

If you need some help deciding check the Member Reviews sections under Serenade of the Seas. I posted a review for our September 13 night cruise to Alaska and there are a couple of others there for the previous weeks cruise as well. Will at least give you an idea etc. We are first time cruisers and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. In fact we liked it so much we have booked the exact same cruise for next year

Pete

We were on Serenade this past June and loved it. The ship is beautiful and the staff are wonderful. We liked flying to and from Vancouver too. We were in Vancouver for two days before the cruise and that helped us not feel so rushed the first day on the ship.

We were on Serenade this past June and loved it. The ship is beautiful and the staff are wonderful. We liked flying to and from Vancouver too. We were in Vancouver for two days before the cruise and that helped us not feel so rushed the first day on the ship.

How was the weather and do you see much wildlife?

How was the weather and do you see much wildlife?

The weather was ok. The only really cold time was at Hubbard Glacier. Other times I sat on our balcony with my hoodie on or my lightweight jacket. It was too cold to use the pool and many times it was too cold for my 16 year old son and his friends to play basketball on deck.

We saw some wildlife from the ship but not a lot. We went on a whale watching tour with Captain Larry in Juneau and saw some whales but not many but that is all just luck of the draw.

The scenery is absolutely beautiful and the ship is amazing. Also it is light so late (10:00 pm) that you can see a lot for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Serenade last late August. I have photos posted in my signature link. We had a wonderful time, Hubbard Glacier was so gorgeous. We did have cold and rain the first sea day and high winds. It also rained all day in Juneau and sprinkled in Ketchikan. Skagway the weather was perfect and on our last sea day it was beautiful outside. Enjoy your cruise no matter what you decide!

Archived