Problem with onboard charges

squuggy

Recently returned from a cruise on RCI with incidental charges of $400. Three days later the charge for incidentals is posted on my Visa debit card: $8,500!!! Many, many calls to customer service, my bank, my travel agent and finally the problem is being corrected. But in the meantime I've been unable to use my debit card for routine purchases because the amount they posted left me overdrawn by $4,500.

What compensation would you ask from the cruise line for such a massive inconvenience caused by their error?

I'm sorry but I don't think you can expect any compensation. It is typical for companies that provide you with a service to put through a pre-authorized amount on your card. It normally takes about a day for the actual charge to replace the pre-authorized amount, but sometimes it takes longer.

Unless you wound up paying interest on the amount that was held, or you can prove that you were unable to use your card for a specific charge during that time period, I don't see how you could demand anything of the credit card company. Your credit card company would have records of "hits" on your card during that time period and could provide you with any charges that were declined.

Perhaps I was unclear. This is not a case of authorizing a (larger) amount and then charging the final amount. After I confirmed with RCI my correct charges of $400, they charged my Visa debit card $8,500. Not authorized, charged. Result: overdrawn by $4,000 and non-availability of any funds. This is RCI's error, not my bank's, not mine. I've been inconvenienced greatly (five days living off the $12 in my pocket!) and will be writing a complaint to RCI. Hopeful that y'all might give me some guidance toward that end....

this is one of the horror story for using the debit card instead of the normal credit card. they can put a hold on the card, as the charges increase during the week, the hold gets increased. then the actual charges go through, while the hold is still in place. with banking rules/laws, it can take a long time for the hold to get released..or incorrect charges to be cleared from your account. sorry this happened, that's a lot of charges for your poor debit card.

but i don't think there is anything the cruiseline can do for you.

it's advisable to use the credit card, don't use debit cards. even the local hotels are putting up signs saying the holds put on debit cards can last 30 days. i am just sorry you didn't know using a debit card could be problematic.

Perhaps I was unclear. This is not a case of authorizing a (larger) amount and then charging the final amount. After I confirmed with RCI my correct charges of $400, they charged my Visa debit card $8,500. Not authorized, charged. Result: overdrawn by $4,000 and non-availability of any funds. This is RCI's error, not my bank's, not mine. I've been inconvenienced greatly (five days living off the $12 in my pocket!) and will be writing a complaint to RCI. Hopeful that y'all might give me some guidance toward that end....

Squuggy, my sympathies as I lived through something similar a year ago when my credit card payment somehow got multiplied by 10 and cleaned out my checking and savings account. I have no advice on how to clear it up sooner as I found that each time I called on my problem they restarted the countdown clock on when they had to give it back. I spent a month with no funds. I do have many recipes for Minute Rice and canned tomatoes - the two staples I had plenty of in the pantry. I wish you better luck than I had.

Deb

Okay - so they charged your account. Whether it was a debit or credit card it doesn't matter as they tied up all of your cash. Have your bank tally how many "bounced" requests there were, then come up with a reasonable figure for missed opportunity.

If you are reasonable about your request for compensation then your chances for payment will be far better. Maybe you had to borrow from your friends/family to get groceries & gas for the week, ask for $50 for the inconvenience. If you missed the chance to get in on a great cruise sale and lost out on the 1/2 price discount so it cost you $125 more in deposit, then ask for that.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your quest!

I'm a little confused. First - I would agree, using a debit card for a cruise - not a good idea. So - if you use a credit card for incidentals, it's not going to drain anything other than freeze your limit. You get the charges, you notify the credit card company they are incorrect, and you go through that process (I've had to do this a couple times). It gets worked out (obviously a timing issue), and the credit card subtracts the incorrect charge, adds the correct - and you're good to go.... So - that is why people use credit cards. For the debit card - I agree, that would be just horrid, and I guess that's a lesson on how you do your accounts. If someone tries to debit something over what I have in my checking account - it is refused. I rarely keep over a couple thousand dollars in my account - so in this case, the ships "debit" would have failed for the $8500. I think from a security perspective, if you use debit cards alot, you might want to put some walls between all your accounts..... I'm sorry this happened - it's quite an ugly story.....:eek:

Have you spoken to your bank about RCL's error? When I had an issue with an incorrect charge with my debit card, the amount was flagged as in dispute and the funds were put back into my account by my bank. Granted the amount wasn't as large as this but my bank was very helpful.

As far as compensation from RCL, it seems to be a little early to be asking for compensation if they haven't fixed the error yet. How do you know you aren't going to incure additional charges due to this overdraft? Do you have any direct payments that are due to come out of your account soon? Those might "bounce" too.

Once your account is made whole then I would look at how much this actually cost you. Then I would write a letter detailing what happened, listing out charges incurred, expressing the major inconvenience this caused you and your family. Don't get all emotional and threatening in your letter. A well written letter will make a big difference.

Recently returned from a cruise on RCI with incidental charges of $400. Three days later the charge for incidentals is posted on my Visa debit card: $8,500!!! Many, many calls to customer service, my bank, my travel agent and finally the problem is being corrected. But in the meantime I've been unable to use my debit card for routine purchases because the amount they posted left me overdrawn by $4,500.

What compensation would you ask from the cruise line for such a massive inconvenience caused by their error?

Since you were left with overdraft fees I would ask the cruise line to reimburse you for charges to your checking account due to their error (no less and no more) plus a letter to you, your bank and credit reporting agencies explaining that the error was their fault and should in no way be reflected as bad credit to your records.

If one would have checked here on debit card usage, one would never use them. How we handle those is file a dispute, provide provisional credit (if they are a good customer) and let the system work. I'm guessing your bank is not helping you, just passing the buck.

If it is not a hold placed (which will fall off), the error should be corrected within 48-72 hours. I would be in the bank asking for some help (unless they are one of the super regional banks which normally don't care). Forget the compensation. If you read the fine print of the debt card agreement, you're had.

excuse me, but what makes you think a cruise line (or hotel, car rental agency, etc.) wouldn't put a hold on a credit card too? how do they know how much you're going to drink, gamble, get massages, etc., then the cruise line not have available c-r-e-d-i-t?

this is one of the horror story for using the debit card instead of the normal credit card. they can put a hold on the card...

they do put holds on credit cards, but since the credit card is not linked to your bank account, it doesn't bounce checks and ruin your credit. with a credit card, the hold would stop at the cards limit, even if a error is made.

if you have several bank accounts linked to your debit card, a error could strip all of them ...or at the last, freeze them.

The OP posted re: overcharges on his card....unrelated to credit card holds. Seems like off-subject.

Sorry you've had such a difficult time, squuggy. I certainly hope you'll be able to settle this situation to your satisfaction. Re: compensation - I've never seen this problem posted before, so no idea...

...sort of. Last year I used our bank's online billing to pay our electric bill. Instead of sending FPL 104.50$ (I even got the correct amount confirmed on the screen), FPL received ten thousand four hundred and fifty dollars - several thousand of which we didn't even have in our account! :eek: Ha ha ha!!! We get all these overdraft alerts, my DH came close to going postal! We had to call FPL, they said it was the bank's fault.:mad: Bank hemmed and hawed, we asked them WHY they sent FPL money we didn't even have!!! :eek: Merry Christmas!! :rolleyes: Finally got it straightened out and bank (Bank of America) 'forgave' all the overdraft fees. Now we go directly to the individual utilities' websites to pay. I'm sorry I can't offer any practical advice, but wanted you to know you're not alone in the world of financial foulups.

PS We're Wachovia customers now...so far, so good.:cool:

I had a thought last night on this one. Since there is normally a daily maximum of about $1000 to 1500 a day for debit card charges. I'm curious how a charge that large went through. Primary reason for this is fraud protection. That is one question I would ask your bank, unless the line did, let say, $1,000 a day.....

I haven't read the responses, but I can't imagine you would expect any compensation. would I be furious? sure, expect something for this, absolutely no. when are people going to stop expecting compensation for everything that goes wrong?

The exception would be if you have bounced checks because of this but that doesn't seem to be the case, then yes, RCI should pay the charges and write letters to your creditors.

I am assuming you have no credit card. if you do, buy groceries using your card, pay the card off at the first billing as you have said your problem is being solved, you would have no interest charges and would still be able to eat.

Nita

Hello,

When you write to the cruise line, make sure that the letter is polite, and that you send it to a manager. Often times letters are sent to persons without the authority to help you.

My suggestion to first time cruisers and others that you use a separate credit card for your cruise, and this card should not be a debit card. Take a debit card with you to obtain cash in ports if necessary.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I had mutiple charges on my debit card from a car rental agency. They charged me $150 a day, $50 at a time for two days. Each time they ran the $50, I encoured $37 in NSF charges. The problem was actually my car insurance companies fault and they refunded me the NSF charges. B of A refunded the $300.00 in wrong charges right then.

Another time I had an emergency come up and accidentally incurred $200 in NSF charges. I expained what happened and B of A, refunded me the NSF charges immediately.

I choose to live without credit cards. So far, I've never had a reason to regret it.

Archived