To insure or not to insure... that is the question? (merged)

dino76

Believe it or not, she is still not TOTALLY healed, although she is much better.

There will always be scars, but "real" healing of the deepest cut was still going on three months after the accident.

I'm glad to hear she is getting better C! I can only imagine the emotions you both went through after her accident.

We always purchase insurance.

Didn't know it at the time, however my hubby had a cancerous brain tumor when we were on the Navigator in 2004 (he was a healthy 43 YO). He had a seizure two months later, thank goodness his brain waited until we were home - well he was - I was in IL for business, talk about stress!

The medical bills were outrageous. Actually they still are since one of the types of brain cancer he had has a 75% chance of returning.

Just ask yourself if you would be able to afford the bills if something were to happen and/or if you needed a med evac from the ship. Your age should not be a factor.

###

Hello Everyone,

We are scheduled on the Radiance sailing form Fort Lauderdale on 13 Jan 08. The final payment / cancellation deadline is a few days away on 3 Nov.

Our son, Calvin, just completed Boot Camp with the US Marine Corps last Friday and is home on leave as I type.

He leaves this Tuesday for Marine Combat Training and completes that on Nov 27th. He will not get his next set of orders until then. At that time, he will either be sent on to his Military School or sent home to work as an assistant to the local USMC Recruiters until his school starts.

If he will be home, we don't want to go on the cruise!

Can anyone recommend Cruise Insurance that will refund our money if we cancel to be with our son if he is home with us in January?

Don't have a definite answer for you, but from one Marine parent to another, congrats on the new Marine!!

Doesn't the insurance offered by RC give you a 75% credit if you cancel for an otherwise noncovered reason?

Can anyone recommend Cruise Insurance that will refund our money if we cancel to be with our son if he is home with us in January?

You should check with RCCL - they have Cruise Care that you can voluntarily cancel your cruise for any reason not covered by the insurance portion of for up to 75% of the normally nonrefundable cancellation fees.

Jean, I am not an insurance agent (nor do I play one on TV), but I believe that "automatic" insurance on a card like American Express is purely "travel insurance" without medical coverage.

Or I could be wrong. :)

I did disputes for American Express and it covers some air evacuations. Im not sure all the terms. It got too complicated and I passed off disputes like that to experts who knew about crossing in and out of country lines like you were in California and wanted to get to Texas via ambulance and cross thru Mexico for some reason...cant remember the story. I do know we did air evacuations, but not sure of the ifs, ands and butts.

We also had rental car insurance, but you had to call them within 48 hours of wrecking the car. Since most didnt know they even had the insurance, by the time they found out it was past when they needed to call. It was only on personal card products, not corporate. Iv also seen more disputes than I wanted to from folks who waived the insurance when they rented a car....just for those who rent cars at ports. Folks who assumed their own car insurance covered them and it did not. It is against the law for the rental car agency to put the charge to fix the car you wrecked on your bill without your agreement....but they will still come after you.

Archived