Taking Your Laptop

SantaAna,CA

Hi, all. On my first trip on the Legend, I used the ship's computers. On my second cruise, I brought my laptop and, although it was nice to have it in my cabin, the connection kept breaking off and it was frustrating. My last cruise was a year ago on the Pride, just wondering what anyone's experience has been lately with the internet connection and, if in your opinion it's worth it to bring your own computer? I'm wondering about the hassle of bringing it....especially if I'm going to have the same problems this time around.

Thanks!

Jane

Hi Jane!

(waves to Jane)

I haven't been aboard since March, but I imagine the biggest advantage is, for your own laptop, you're only charged for being online. If I'm not mistaken (and I might be!), if you use the ship's computers, you'll be charged while on them, whether you're online or not. At least, that's the way it is with some of the mass market lines.

Just know that your own connection will mirror those of the on-board computers; no better, no worse. If they're down, so are you. :)

Hoping you have a marvelous time!

Paul

thanks for the memories! ;)

I guess it's hit and miss, isn't it? I was just thinking, last year, I left my laptop in the taxi that brought me to the ship. Thanks to Seabourn and one of the customs guys at the port, they got it back to me before we sailed. I am going to seriously thinking about bringing one more thing with me, if you know what I mean!

Jane :rolleyes:

We had our laptop with us in the Med end of August on the Legend. While in port we were able to use our aircard (wireless) without using the ship's internet and it was a breeze. While at sea we used the ship's connection without any problem.

Jane-

My wife and I are first time cruisers and we will join you on the Seabourn Pride on the 17th. I can not find any documentation regarding the internet expense on board. Can you shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance!!

James

Spotteddogs,

I am not Jane, but don't think she will mind if I answer your question since she is "offline" at the moment. You will need to purchase a service package which can be used for the computers in the computer center, your Wi-Fi equipped laptop or both (I don't know what happens if you both are using your laptop and a computer in the computer center at the same time). The following rates are in US$ for the hours of service provided. ½ hr - $13.50, 1 hr – $24.95, 2 hrs – $47.95, 4 hrs – $89.95, 8 hrs – $167.95, 16 hrs – $287.95 and 32 hrs – $479.95.

This is why I bring my laptop so I compose all my emails and posts offline then logon and cut and paste or login and download my email then logoff (to read offline) to minimize connection time. If you are using a computer in the computer center, the meter starts running the moment you press "Login" and continues until you press "Shut Down." If you are a slow typist, a laptop is the only way to go. ;)

The above have been the rates for the last two years. When you activate your service with one of the computers in the computer center, you will be prompted to purchase a package (the cost is added to your shipboard account) and all the rates are displayed and you can choose the package that is best for you.

Enjoy your cruise. The attentive wait and service staff will win you over right away. Within a week, you both will be adddicted to Seabourn and there is no drug or therapy to cure it except take more Seaboourn cruises! It is a nice affliction to have! :eek: :D

Bon Voyage and blue skies, calm seas and gentle breezes on all your sailings! :)

Had a good working experience on board with my lap top. I was also told that if you are in your cabin sometimes leaving your door open a crack will help get on line faster. The antenna on your laptop makes all the difference as well. The newer onces are great so you can put on an external one as well. you can get it from any computer store. My one gripe is if the whole system is off and you look at your computer it will say good signal, not good if you get on and no INTERNET so you are charged while waiting to see that what's going on. If that happens I always asked fr a credit.

Thanks to Paul and Margate for all the info. James, I look forward to meeting you and your wife on the Pride. After everyone's opinions, I think I will opt to bring my laptop with me after all.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! The Luggage Club picks up my dive bag today to send it ahead of me to Barbados. Whoooooppppeeeeee.

Oh, and boo to y'all....happy Halloween!

Jane :)

Archived