Best Island to buy Rum????

roudy1

It's my first time in San Juan, and I want to do a walking tour of the old city. We probably wouldn't have time to do that and the Bacardi factory.

So far, there are TWO excursions listed for San Juan for us. Two. And one is a walking tour! The Barcardi tour says it's a debarkation day excursion for the Destiny only. So why is it even listed on our Miracle cruise as an excursion???

The problem with packing bottles is that it's hard enough to pack for a 7-night cruise (including dresses & shoes for 2 formal nights). I just can't imagine I'll have any extra room for booze.

Hmmm. If I pack a bottle of wine and a bottle of booze for the journey, then at least the wine will be gone and I'll have some spare room. :D

We brought an extra suitcase, a small one, to use for souveniers, including alcohol. We stopped in St Thomas, so including the one you are allowed to buy onboard, we were allowed up to 5 bottles per adult, duty free. Remember, you can buy more, you're just supposed to pay the tax on them when you come back to the US if you do.

In St Thomas, we bought all of our liquor from the Kmart, which we had seen advised on these boards. Amazing prices - $3 to $4 for the local Cruzan rums, $7 for the big bottles of flavored Cruzan. They also carried rum from other countries, including my favorite Appleton from Jamaica, for the same price I paid in Jamaica. They had all the other types of liquor for great prices as well.

As for rum cakes, Tortuga are the best. On this last cruise, I checked the prices in all the ports and found that it was cheaper to buy them from the cruise ship store.

Last year on the Conquest, I wanted Appleton Dark rum so I thought I could get a deal in Jamaica. The cheapest I found it was $10.00 for 1 litre. One of the street guys said I could get it at the grocery store for $8.00. So, I waited until Grand Cayman and bought it at Big Black Dick's for $8.00/litre.

So, you can't always get Jamaican rum cheaper in Jamaica if you are shopping in places tourists go. Wait until Cayman and go to Big Black Dick's. Be sure and price your liquors at home to see if you are getting a deal or not.

I bought rum in Jamaica. it was within walking distance to ship. I remember a man was selling coffee outside, and if you were coming from the ship it was on the right hand side. The lady in there was really nice and had taste testing in the back. The rum was very cheap, they packed it nicely and they brought it back to the ship so I didn't have to carry anything. If you like baileys like my husband does then you must buy the Irish rum cream, it comes in many flavors and it was really good. If you lived near me I would ask you to bring me back some.:) and i don't even drink, that is how good it was. Enjoy

We have a group sailing on the Conquest in February to W. Caribbean. My question is what Island, Grand Cayman or Jamaica, can you get the best rum and rum cake. Also is there one store better than another.

Thanks, Char

Grand Caymen:D

Tortuga rum cakes are ok...nothing compares to Calypso Rum cakes from Barbados. There are distributors in the US and they can be ordered on line. The Lemon Ginger is AWESOME!!!!

http://www.calypsorumcake.com/customer/success.php

All this talk wants to make me want order a few for the holidays!

You won't be sorry!

Liz

We have a group sailing on the Conquest in February to W. Caribbean. My question is what Island, Grand Cayman or Jamaica, can you get the best rum and rum cake. Also is there one store better than another.

Thanks, Char

I would say the Caymans over at the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory. If you go to HELL, you will see the store.

Fred

Too much work. I drink but not enough to warrant trying to get around customs (those people scare me) just to save a couple of bucks on duty.

We're flying home, too. Have to pack it now, correct?

Puerto Rican rum anyone?

Across from the cruise terminal is the Don Q store. They offer free tasting. DON'T Buy From Them. Half the price at the shop in the terminal.

When we went into the store, and talked with the "bartender" that was selling the rum. We told him we like Captian Morgans and he suggested we try the Don Q Gold. He mixed it with Pepsi and a slice of lime. Really Good. So, we bought a bottle $15.00. On the way back to the ship, we stopped at the shop in the terminal, and saw that the Don Q Gold was $7.00 or $8.00. :eek:

The prices in the terminal was just about the same as in St. Thomas.

They also offered some kind of an Airbag to pack your bottles in. In August, they were going for 3 for $5.95. The ad said they were "airline tested to 35,000 ft and suitable for luggage check in". I still have my circular, ask if you want and idea of their prices.

I was on the Crown Princess, and did NOT have to turn in my bottle of Don Q Gold when we returned to the ship.

In Grand Cayman, you can get the Big Black Dick rum at several stores by the pier. Need to order 1.5 hr before ship leaves though.

If only I had known about this stuff before I went to Cayman, I would've bought more than 2 bottles. This stuff is delicious, and I plan on stocking up next time I get there!

I brought home 5 bottles of the Jamaican Rum Creme, the left over vodka and kahlua from our cruise a week or two ago. They were all in my suitcase, in a ziploc bag and wrapped in clothes. No duty, no breakage and nothing was ever said by anyone.

BTW, I carried all of these bottles back on to the Liberty without anyone taking it away either.

Hey girl. I was wondering if you found your Rum Creme ... yea!!!!!!!

And no breakage...that is a miracle!!!!

I am a little confused. I thought I read somewhere that if you purchased liquor while in one of the ports, the ship personnel would take it when you tried to board, and hold it until the night before debarkation. Is that true??

I am a little confused. I thought I read somewhere that if you purchased liquor while in one of the ports, the ship personnel would take it when you tried to board, and hold it until the night before debarkation. Is that true??

Yes, that is what is supposed to happen. I usually transfer our liquor purchases to my tote bag. After everything goes through the scanner they usually have someone sitting at a table to take your liquor. I have never had them ask me to leave our purchases. We just walk by casually, get on the elevator, and smile all the way to our cabin.

Yes, you are suppose to turn it in. Just put it in your tote and if they ask for it...turn it in. If they don't, don't worry about it.

I can't believe we're having a discussion about rum and no one has mentioned Meyers Jamaican. IMHO it is one of the better rums out there. Also look for Pussers Rum from Tortola and Pyrate Rum from Anguilla.

All have distinct flavor as opposed to the bland taste of Bacardi Silver or any other clear rum.

Of course the absolute Cognac of rums is Havana Club from Cuba. However, bringing it back to the US violates a few laws so I'd never suggest anyone do that. ;)

I'm sure some of these are available at larger liquor stores in Jamaica and Grand Caymen. I know for a fact Havana Club is available in Cozumel. Buy it at smaller liquor stores a block or so off the main tourist area. It's less expensive there than in the tourist stores.

My favorites, by far, are:

Tortuga Banana Rum (Cayman)

Tortuga Rum Liquor (Cayman)

Mad Annies Coconut Rum Cream (Jamaica)

As for how much you can bring home, since these are considered developing Caribbean nations, you are allowed 2 liters per person duty free. Anything beyond that you have to pay duty (not very much and sometimes they won't charge you anyway).

Ok we bought Big Black Dick Rum in the Caymans!! Well I certainly will not call it the best rum thats for sure!! the bottle is pretty neat other than that Nope!! I would try Meyers Jamacian Rum!! BBD is great in jello shots:D

Archived