Best Island to buy Rum????

roudy1

We have a group sailing on the Conquest in February to W. Caribbean. My question is what Island, Grand Cayman or Jamaica, can you get the best rum and rum cake. Also is there one store better than another.

Thanks, Char

Several Grand Caymen liquor stores have a special. We usually get it at the Pirates Grotto, but the one by Margaritaville has the same deal. I got 3 bottles of Captain Morgan delivered to the ship for $21. I've purchased this same special four times without any problems. The first three it was only $20. Very easy and you don't have to carry anything around with you.

Rum cake I'd buy on the ship, just easier.

We have a group sailing on the Conquest in February to W. Caribbean. My question is what Island, Grand Cayman or Jamaica, can you get the best rum and rum cake. Also is there one store better than another.

Thanks, Char

Of all the Rums in the world, Jamaica and Puerto Rican rums are world renowned as the best. But I bet your question is where to get those great rums the cheapest. Good luck on your shopping quest

Larry

Thanks Snoozeman...appreciate the info. Char

Your welcome--enjoy the Conquest. Be sure to 'study' your French Impressionists before you leave. You'll enjoy the decor even more when you realize it is all from period paintings or in the style.

Your welcome--enjoy the Conquest. Be sure to 'study' your French Impressionists before you leave. You'll enjoy the decor even more when you realize it is all from period paintings or in the style.

Yes Snoozeman I plan to study French Impressionists before we leave...we are so excited about this cruise and have heard that the Conquest is a beautiful ship....thanks for your tips.

Just had to pop in and say hey char ... wish I was going with yall! Have a great time!!

Hi Stephuney...I wish you were going with us as well...but do understand. Sooooooo good to hear from you...I think of you often. Love ya, Char

And thanks to the others as well for the information...keep it coming love hearing what everyone thinks about the rum.

Char

In Grand Cayman, you can get the Big Black Dick rum at several stores by the pier. Need to order 1.5 hr before ship leaves though.

I bought 5 bottles of this stuff on my last cruise and LOVVVVVE it! 2 bottles for friends and 3 for me!;)

Char - I'll bring a bottle on our cruise for a little taste testing before hand!:p

Thank you for that... Many people have criticized the decor of the Conquest and other Carnival ship because they find it confusing. I find it wonderful. Farcus has woven a wonderful tapestry of theme and style.

It's a shame that more people don't take the time to really understand and enjoy his amazing talent.

I recommend the Black Beard rum cakes...think that is the name, still not wide awake. They are in the port as someone else said by the statue of big black dick, and walk back into that courtyard near the port. Some claim its a little better plus they have good specials. For $29.99 we got the 6 pack of 4 oz cakes plus a 2 lbs cake free included. On the ship we were on the six pack of Tortugala was $27.99. They also sold the 1 lbs on the ship. Seems like the l lbs ran about $15.99. or 3 for $45.

I thought it was worth my time to buy my rum cakes in the port where they had lots of samples to try and you could get a deal.

Thank you for that... Many people have criticized the decor of the Conquest and other Carnival ship because they find it confusing. I find it wonderful. Farcus has woven a wonderful tapestry of theme and style.

It's a shame that more people don't take the time to really understand and enjoy his amazing talent.

So true. I see something new (new to me) each time I sail on her. Beautiful ship.

Sangster's Original Jamaican Rum Creme is absolutely wonderful. You're probably looking for regular rum but I would suggest you at least try this. If you like Bailey's ~ you will love this stuff! The liquor store at the port had it cheaper than the stores in town.

Another suggestion is while in Jamaica you could take a tour of the Appleton Rum Estates and try a lot of different ones. If you do that, they are usually cheaper if you buy them there.

Cheers!

I bought 5 bottles of this stuff on my last cruise and LOVVVVVE it! 2 bottles for friends and 3 for me!;)

Char - I'll bring a bottle on our cruise for a little taste testing before hand!:p

Thanks Sher...only 101 days until we cruise. I am sooooooo ready.

Char

5 bottles? Don't we have customs restrictions? I thought "spirits" were 1L per adult. Except we're stopping in St. Thomas, which has higher limits, but doesn't the booze has to be an island product to get those higher limits?

:confused:

Rum cream is delicious stuff! Bought some in Jamaica and Grand Turk.

I'll be stopping in San Juan soon and would love something (not Bacardi). Is anyone familiar with anywhere near the pier to make a purchase?

5 bottles? Don't we have customs restrictions? I thought "spirits" were 1L per adult. Except we're stopping in St. Thomas, which has higher limits, but doesn't the booze has to be an island product to get those higher limits?

:confused:

Rum cream is delicious stuff! Bought some in Jamaica and Grand Turk.

I'll be stopping in San Juan soon and would love something (not Bacardi). Is anyone familiar with anywhere near the pier to make a purchase?

I have heard it suggested (by our CD on last cruise) that you can get other pax who are not buying alcohol to divide up your bottles and carry them off for you, and give them to you when you are off the ship.

I brought home 5 bottles of the Jamaican Rum Creme, the left over vodka and kahlua from our cruise a week or two ago. They were all in my suitcase, in a ziploc bag and wrapped in clothes. No duty, no breakage and nothing was ever said by anyone.

BTW, I carried all of these bottles back on to the Liberty without anyone taking it away either.

Archived