Azamara Quest Review

tbelian

Thanks for posting this. I believe there will continue to be some confusion about this sailing, as I would definitely refer to it as a two-night pre-inaugural, with the inaugural sailing taking place on October 24. Your comments were interesting, especially those about the party. I, too, would have thought that the perfect opportunity to get feedback from loyal Celebrity cruisers.

While it's good to read that you were pleased with the cruise, ship and service overall, I don't think this is going to be representative of the experience of passengers over the past and next few weeks. Since the paying customers boarded on October 24, they will have high expectations for their Azamara cruise experience -- as they well should. I hope that the problems experienced by passengers on the October 24 two night sailing are ironed out by the time of our sailing, although the butler vs. stateroom attendant issue will likely persist for some time.

I'll look forward to reviews from passengers onboard the October 26 sailing, which arrived in Tampa (due to TS Noel) this morning.

Thanks again.

Karen,

I'm not sure I concur with what your are suggesting. Without reading too much into it, I get the distinct impression that you are suggesting the "paying customers" would have high expectations, and perhaps higher expectations than those who got a 'free cruise', and thus have a more valid opinion (again, as I posted elsewhere, that this was not 100% 'free'. We paid airfare, boarding costs for pets, transportation to and from airports, several hundred dollars in total). In a sense, I would think that the passengers on the 10/22-10/24 cruise would be even more critical of the experience, since the majority of them were in the travel industry as travel agents (American Express, for instance, had a very high presence on this cruise). And personally, as a past Celebrity cruiser, my expectations would be as high as, or even higher than my expectation of a Celebrity cruise. Also note, in terms of the overall rating, we scored the cruise on the 'LOW' end compared to the other reviewers (one other score was lower than ours, the rest were higher, and in the '5' range).

As to whether or not this was the 'official' inaugural cruise, I don't really consider this to be a 'badge of honor', so if someone else want's to wear it, so be it. I will say that Azamara touted this to us as the inaugural cruise. It's their ship, I guess they can call it whatever they wan't.

tbelian,

Next time you are offered a free cruise, I will be glad to take it. DH and I live only an hour away from port, our son will take the dog, I am retired and very flexible.

Looking forward to any free cruise.:rolleyes:

Karen

tbelian,

Next time you are offered a free cruise, I will be glad to take it.

Karen,

I was just trying to 'quantify' it. I think maybe it's easy for someone to think 'well they got it all for free, so how objective can they really be?' (and I don't mean you personally are suggesting that). Oh yea, there was that PTO time too... I wish I was retired every once in a while...:D

I don't post often, but some of this seems silly to me. If poeple want to be hooked on names, so be it. Call our sailing pre-inaugural if you wish, but it was called the inaugural sailing by Azamara, so my DH and I have referred to our sailing as such.

Sorry, if you don't feel it is representative of how others have or will feel about their cruise. As stated, it is only our opinion and not meant to represent the opinions of others. To be perfectly honest, I resent the implication that because we did not pay for our cruise, our expectations might be different than those who did. Our cruise may have been free, but since we live no where near Florida, our air tickets, transportation to and from airport along with a hefty bill from our kennel certainly guaranteed that this was not a "free" trip, so our expectations are no different from any other passenger.

With all that in mind, it is a cruise, a vacation. Certainly everything was not perfect, but you can choose to let it destroy your trip or not. We have often said, we are on vacation, it is not life and death. Also, anyone on Quest knows it is a new ship, there will be kinks. Many people don't want to buy a first year model car because the kinks don't get worked out till the second year. The same can be said for anything new. Sure you get bragging rights to be one of the first, but you may also get the grief that goes along with it.

So the glass is half empty or half full. Have a great trip and roll with the punches, or look for the negative and let it dampen your vacation, you choose. We have already made our choice.

While I was not suggesting that their opinions would be more valid, I suppose in some ways I was suggesting that paying customers (those paying a cruise fare in addition to the costs you incurrred) would have higher standards than those who paid no cruise fare. After all, there would be more passengers onboard beginning with the 24th sailing, likely none of the company executives before whom the crew and staff would want to perform well, and only those amenities available that are advertised by Azamara for regular passengers. (I don't know if you received any special amenities -- 24-hour open bar was available on the Liberty of the Seas pre-inaugural, as an example -- but wanted to separate those that may be offered on a "free" cruise vs. those on all the other cruises.)

I didn't mean to imply that your expectations were low, but simply that since the passengers boarding Quest as of Oct. 24 were paying a full cruise fare, they would expect to receive everything the cruiseline has advertised within reason. One must expect that there will be glitches and problems that must be resolved on a new cruiseship (new to Azamara, obviously) and a new cruiseline, but things like hot food offered cold or no coffee available at the 24-hour coffee stations, and non-working phones and poor or no internet connections are not some of them. I'm sure it takes some time for the crew to become familiar with the ship and with one another, so I wouldn't expect them to work like a well-oiled machine the first few cruises, but I would expect that the butler/stateroom attendants would know not to disturb passengers who have a "Do Not Disturb" sign on their doors and the assistant waiters would make sure that water glasses are refilled without asking.

Anyway, I'm disregarding my own suggestion of only reporting on what I personally experienced! Sorry, but just trying to make a point. As far as what the what the cruise was called, I agree that Azamara should call it whatever they wish and the passengers who sailed on that cruise will use the same terminology. I think it makes it confusing, but c'est la vie.

Once again, I do appreciate your review and thank you for taking the time to write it, as well as posting your photos. They were terrific.

Karen

(I don't know if you received any special amenities -- 24-hour open bar was available on the Liberty of the Seas pre-inaugural, as an example -- but wanted to separate those that may be offered on a "free" cruise vs. those on all the other cruises.)

Interesting that you mention alcohol. Yes, it was open bar during our cruise... For the record, I'm not a drinker. My opinion was not clouded or influenced by scotch colored glasses.

Interesting that you mention alcohol. Yes, it was open bar during our cruise... For the record, I'm not a drinker. My opinion was not clouded or influenced by scotch colored glasses.

LOL!! I hope no one thought my Liberty review was clouded by red colored glasses. :)

Karen

If Cruise Critic members weren't allowed to comment on someone's opinion, review or experience, these boards would be very boring -- in fact, there would be little reason for them to exist. Tbelian questioned some of my comments, and I hope I clarified my thoughts for him.

Karen

Hey, I thought that it was a nice review, essentially unbiased, written by an experienced cruise who usually knows what he's talking about.

I appreciated the comments and found the review useful.

Thanks, Tbelian.

I'm not sure whether the cruise was "free" is relevant.

I think this fact is very relevant. It all goes to state of mind while on the ship. Your immediate reaction is one of gratitude for being selected in the first place and human tendancy would be to overlook items that might be important to others.

In addition how could one consider this cruise to be indicative of what paying customers are receiving when they have an open bar set up (matters not if you drink or not) and events not typically on a normal cruise. If I had to hazard a guess I would image the menus were slightly hyped up for this event and the food quality better than what the general public will receive.

This was a dog and pony show in order to pump up the image of the cruise line and the ship. If anybody tries to sell it as this is what Azamara is then I would take it with a huge grain of salt.

If Cruise Critic members weren't allowed to comment on someone's opinion, review or experience, these boards would be very boring -- in fact, there would be little reason for them to exist. Tbelian questioned some of my comments, and I hope I clarified my thoughts for him.

Thank-you for clarifying this. It goes a long way to bolstering some of my past arguments that have been summarily dismissed by many others.

This was a dog and pony show in order to pump up the image of the cruise line and the ship. If anybody tries to sell it as this is what Azamara is then I would take it with a huge grain of salt.

Even though I wasn't there, I do disagree with the first sentence. I think it was an oppportunity for TAs, VIPs and select Captain's Club members to see the ship and meet the staff. I believe most of them know it wasn't a "typical" Azamara cruise (meaning a 12 or 14 night cruise) but were perfectly capable of forming and sharing an opinion of it, as the OP did.

But when you write that it isn't "what Azamara is," I would agree with that. I think the early cruises will have issues like the early Journey cruises did, and eventually everything will settle into place. At that point (and I can't guess when that will occur), I hope it will be the cruiseline experience that Azamara is advertising. Time will tell...

Karen

I think this fact is very relevant.

I disagree.

The flip side of that coin could be, if they really wanted to apply some influence, they would have footed the entire bill including all associated costs. They did not.

How can it not matter if you drink or not if there is an open bar? It was something I didn't participate in, so it is moot to me.

We didn't just overlook stuff. Did you read my review?

I find this thread very interesting..As a TA that has traveled on many free or discounted cruises over my 40 years in business..I feel I am much harder on a cruise line than passengers..I look for things the general passenger wouldnt..although I did pay full fare for myself and my daughters on Journey in September..I never waiver from the way I view ships..

I found Tbelian more than fair to Quest as I also had a staff member on who had the same comments.

I think if Azamara was really listening they would have already done away with their butler/steward situation since day one everyone has made fun of it..

IMHO and it is just an opinion free or pay either the ship is good or its not..I did a 2 day "free" 2 day trip to nowhere on NCL several years and HATED every minute of it..including the 4 hours it took to dismbark in LA (why so long I have no idea)

I want to thank everyone that posts a review..good, bad or indifferent that is what a review is fo the way that person sees the trip..I know from experience every persons expectation is different..

Jan

Even though I wasn't there, I do disagree with the first sentence. I think it was an oppportunity for TAs, VIPs and select Captain's Club members to see the ship and meet the staff. I believe most of them know it wasn't a "typical" Azamara cruise (meaning a 12 or 14 night cruise) but were perfectly capable of forming and sharing an opinion of it, as the OP did.

But when you write that it isn't "what Azamara is," I would agree with that. I think the early cruises will have issues like the early Journey cruises did, and eventually everything will settle into place. At that point (and I can't guess when that will occur), I hope it will be the cruiseline experience that Azamara is advertising. Time will tell...

Karen

Karen,

While I agree that the October 22nd "free" cruise wasn't necessarily a dog and pony show, I think its purpose was more than "an oppportunity for TAs, VIPs and select Captain's Club members to see the ship and meet the staff." Preview events, such as this one, are common throughout the travel industry and are not put on out of the goodness of the host company's heart. Host companies put on these previews in the knowledge that they will garner favorable press and favorable impressions among TA's which will sell future cruises in Azamara's case. Everything possible is done to ensure that previews such as the October 22nd cruise are as trouble free and impressive as possible.

IMHO, the problem with such preview events is that, no matter how honest and objective the reviews are from such a preview, they are not reliable because they are based on an event, a cruise in this case, that was not a typical cruise as will be experienced by future cruisers. It's like a restaurant review written by a reviewer who is known to the restaurant. The review is not helpful to the average diner because the reviewer's experience may not be typical to what an unknown, non-reviewing diner would receive.

The two friends who introduced us to cruising two years ago were among the Captain's Club members invited on the free October 22nd cruise. They stayed on board for the following two-day cruise. Thus, they were in position to compare the two cruises.

Based upon the significant differences in the reviews of the two cruises (particularly in service levels), I spoke with our friend last night and asked him if the crew changed between the two cruises. He replied that the crew was the same on both cruises but that circumstances on the first cruise masked problems that appeared on the second cruise. For example, there were about 250 to 300 passengers on the first cruise while the second cruise was at least virtually sold out. Service issues in the dining rooms such as wait times for open seating tables, would be much less apparent when the ship was less than half full. Similarly, cabin service was better on the first cruise because inexperienced personnel had fewer cabins to service. Also, since there were no charges for things like wine and other drinks on the first cruise, the major problem with the seapass system on the second cruise would not have been experienced by passengers on the first cruise.

Our friends summed up their experience by saying that they enjoyed the cruises and the small ship experince but would wait a year or so before booking an Azamara cruise again. We are going on our first Oceania cruise in January and I am eager to compare Oceania and Azamara when Azamara hits its stride.

I disagree.

The flip side of that coin could be, if they really wanted to apply some influence, they would have footed the entire bill including all associated costs. They did not.

How can it not matter if you drink or not if there is an open bar? It was something I didn't participate in, so it is moot to me.

We didn't just overlook stuff. Did you read my review?

tbelian,

Although Azamara did not pay all of your and other Captain's club member's associated costs, do you know for a fact that Azamara did not pay all such costs for TA's, media members and Azamara, Celebrity or RCI employees on your cruise? Since Jan had a staff member on your cruise, perhaps she can answer the question.

do you know for a fact that Azamara did not pay all such costs for TA's, media members and Azamara, Celebrity or RCI employees on your cruise?

No, I have no idea if they footed the entire bill for others who were on board.

tbelian,

Although Azamara did not pay all of your and other Captain's club member's associated costs, do you know for a fact that Azamara did not pay all such costs for TA's, media members and Azamara, Celebrity or RCI employees on your cruise? Since Jan had a staff member on your cruise, perhaps she can answer the question.

Associated costs, including tips were not included..

Jan

Just returned home after 7 days on the Quest. I should probably read everything posted before commenting - but - I wish our cabin had a Do Not Disturb sign so we could have put it on the door. We requested one several times - never received one. If you do turn the deadbolt, the butler's key will not open the door.

Second - the 2 night cruise (10/24 - 26) was not sold out. They never gave us any numbers but at the muster drill, there appeared to be twice as many people present on the 5 night cruise over the 2 night cruise. This was group B which met in the dining room. I am sure you will have more B2B cruisers who can comment on group A.

And for sanitary measures - We met in the dining room with tables set for dinner. People played with the silverware, glasses, etc. After seeing this, we booked Prime C for after the next muster drill.

Hope I am not repeating anything already said. I will continue reading.

J

And for sanitary measures - We met in the dining room with tables set for dinner. People played with the silverware, glasses, etc. After seeing this, we booked Prime C for after the next muster drill.

Oh, yuck! We were not in Discoveries for the drill, but we did eat there rather early that night. Yuck, yuck, yuck. The food was actually quite good, but now I'm worried about who was touching my fork before me!

Glad to hear from you, sorry we didn't meet you on the 2-day.

Archived