To those who have sailed Adventure, is it as bad...

3redheads

My DD & I sailed on AOS this past April and loved the ship, the crew, everything. There was a good mix of Puerto Ricans and mainlanders, no issues at all. I did notice that the Puerto Ricans were all wearing those croc shoes in an array of different colors, from adults to little kids :p . I asked someone about them and they told me they were very popular in PR. I think you will have a great experience. The ship is beautiful and the crew is excellent! Happy Sailing!

This is pretty much only for the OP, and anyone else who has a genuine concern.

It is likely that your AOS cruise out of San Juan is going to be fabulous. I'd bet most of them are. The AOS is in great shape and the crew is wonderful.

The people that are knocking those of us who complain have not been on one of the bad cruises. There is nothing more frustrating than having people tell you "It's what you make of it," or in some other way make it your fault that you had a less than perfect experience.

I just got off a journey where they trashed the Solarium and the Promenade with broken glass and food. One evening, a whole section of the Promenade was closed off to clean up the mess. You couldn't even walk through. The pool area, theater audience, stairs and elevators, Promenade, etc were total chaos. And it wasn't because they "spoke Spanish" or some other ignorant accusation the others have mentioned. I dearly love cruising and am faithful to RCI. I've seen all the rude behaviors others have seen on every cruise. But this cruise took the cake. For now, my cruising out of PR is a thing of the past. I will not chance that experience again. And mine is not the first. It has become common on that particular ship.

I really hope you are not unfortunate enough to end up on one of these sailings. I really hope your cruise is great. After all, my first one on AOS certainly was.

This is pretty much only for the OP, and anyone else who has a genuine concern.

It is likely that your AOS cruise out of San Juan is going to be fabulous. I'd bet most of them are. The AOS is in great shape and the crew is wonderful.

The people that are knocking those of us who complain have not been on one of the bad cruises. There is nothing more frustrating than having people tell you "It's what you make of it," or in some other way make it your fault that you had a less than perfect experience.

I just got off a journey where they trashed the Solarium and the Promenade with broken glass and food. One evening, a whole section of the Promenade was closed off to clean up the mess. You couldn't even walk through. The pool area, theater audience, stairs and elevators, Promenade, etc were total chaos. And it wasn't because they "spoke Spanish" or some other ignorant accusation the others have mentioned. I dearly love cruising and am faithful to RCI. I've seen all the rude behaviors others have seen on every cruise. But this cruise took the cake. For now, my cruising out of PR is a thing of the past. I will not chance that experience again. And mine is not the first. It has become common on that particular ship.

I really hope you are not unfortunate enough to end up on one of these sailings. I really hope your cruise is great. After all, my first one on AOS certainly was.

And it should be noted that you aren't the only one with experiences like you described. You did a service to pax that may have booked or had booked...nothing wrong with warning someone of a potential problem.

Bully for the people that have had no problems...many more may not have any..but it still serves a purpose for RCI to be informed of issues like these. It is pretty obvious there are some serious security issues if this kind of behavior is allowed to go unchecked.

I just got off a journey where they trashed the Solarium and the Promenade with broken glass and food. One evening, a whole section of the Promenade was closed off to clean up the mess.

QUOTE]

This is an example of why I have a problem with some of your negative postings.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=464826&page=22

Here you stated that you didn't know what happened in the promenade and someone replies to you that a table where there was a liquor sale, collapsed. No mention of it being due to vandalism or the promenade being closed. Then you post on this thread and totally turned it into something ominous and negative! I'm certain that some of what you say actually occurred, but when I read inconsistencies like this it really makes me question everything else!

And yet, the only vandalism that occurred during my cruises occurred on the Jewel coming out of Fort Lauderdale. Pool chairs going overboard and the Future Cruise Consultant area was destroyed to name a few. So, IMHO, it can happen on any ship and not necessarily out of San Juan.

Maybe it would be wise to keep suggesting that when there is bad behavior, those passengers are put off the ship. My first cruise on the AOS, that exact thing happened. I never saw anything, but there were passengers being put off the ship at several of the ports. Keeps down the total destruction if you ask me. Would have been nice if they had done that on the Jewel cruise.

I am sorry that Paul had a bad experience, but again, I don't think it is totally about cruising from San Juan.

Jen

This is an example of why I have a problem with some of your negative postings.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=464826&page=22

Here you stated that you didn't know what happened in the promenade and someone replies to you that a table where there was a liquor sale, collapsed. No mention of it being due to vandalism or the promenade being closed. Then you post on this thread and totally turned it into something ominous and negative! I'm certain that some of what you say actually occurred, but when I read inconsistencies like this it really makes me question everything else!

Well Detective Happy Mom, since I must explain it to you.

I did happen to be in the Promenade when it was closed off. I did happen to smell the spilled booze. But at the time, I did not know what happened.

Did you happen to think that some of us from that cruise have each other's cell numbers and have talked off these boards? Probably not. Only recently did I find out what the cause was. And I was not surprised to hear the explanation.

So yes, I am bitter. I just spent $4000 on a cruise I wasn't happy with. Unless you were on that cruise, you really have no right to question what I experienced.

Those that have gotten to know me on this board over the last year know that I am not normally a bitter person. This was a bad experience and I have no problem reporting it.

Well Detective Happy Mom, since I must explain it to you.

I did happen to be in the Promenade when it was closed off. I did happen to smell the spilled booze. But at the time, I did not know what happened.

Did you happen to think that some of us from that cruise have each other's cell numbers and have talked off these boards? Probably not. Only recently did I find out what the cause was. And I was not surprised to hear the explanation.

So yes, I am bitter. I just spent $4000 on a cruise I wasn't happy with. Unless you were on that cruise, you really have no right to question what I experienced.

Those that have gotten to know me on this board over the last year know that I am not normally a bitter person. This was a bad experience and I have no problem reporting it.

Over 2000 posts in less than a year and you still have time for the cell phone??? LOL

I only take issue with this statement... "Unless you were on that cruise, you really have no right to question what I experienced."

When you post something on a public board you have to expect to be questioned. Surely your experiences have taught you that.

Ok, I'm simmered down a little now. Listen, I was with a group of friends and family on that cruise. One of which, my Mom, happens to be our TA. So, this cruise has been quite the topic of conversation. And yes, I did find out today from her what happened in the Promenade. Every single person in our group was angered enough to write letters to RCI. Others in the roll call also feel the same way.

I have no problem reporting the bad with the good. But one thing I am not is a liar, or one who embellishes.

BTW, the majority of my post count came from a lively roll call thread earlier this year. :rolleyes: Not that it matters though.

Ok, I'm simmered down a little now. Listen, I was with a group of friends and family on that cruise. One of which, my Mom, happens to be our TA. So, this cruise has been quite the topic of conversation. And yes, I did find out today from her what happened in the Promenade. Every single person in our group was angered enough to write letters to RCI. Others in the roll call also feel the same way.

I have no problem reporting the bad with the good. But one thing I am not is a liar, or one who embellishes.

BTW, the majority of my post count came from a lively roll call thread earlier this year. :rolleyes: Not that it matters though.

Well then, certainly you can understand my confusion having read both posts. I know that you've posted the bad with the good having read your entire review of this cruise. You gave certain elements very high marks something a bitter person (you labeled yourself that which surprised me having read your review) would not do. I enjoy reading the roll call of a ship AFTER it returns, when it is a ship I will soon be sailing on....that is how I came across your posting I was referring to. Now go calm down some more. :O)

Paul, I would be angry, too, if measures weren't taken to control the situation. You would think that people would have been put off the ship with such bad behavior. I don't doubt you had a bad experience, but I think that totally giving up on AOS out of San Juan is a bit much. Have I cruised out of Fort Lauderdale again.....no. Is it based on that one cruise? No. I have enjoyed cruising out of San Juan and circumstances keep bringing me back. 2009 looks like a cruise out of Galveston so FLL will just have to wait.

Jen

You gave certain elements very high marks something a bitter person (you labeled yourself that which surprised me having read your review) would not do.

Unfortunately, Fellow Passengers is not one of the graded categories.

Other than the numerous behavior problems on my particular cruise, everything else was honestly great. The ship looks wonderful and the crew was great. My one and only beef with the crew was a lack of control over the bad behavior.

We went the end of April, 2007 and had a good time. I will admit our waiter was not the best, so we just didn't go to the dining room. After he asked us what our room number was, I thought that was strange and reported him. I have never had that happen on any of our cruises. A cruise is what you make of it. It would be nice if ALL people would respect each other, but heh, it doesn't always happen on land either so you make the best of it. Enjoy yourselves! AOS is a great ship.

Archived