St Thomas Beaches

Maab

We will be on the CB in Jan. and wanted to know about a ship's beach excursion version going on our own. We want to spend more than 2 or so hours at the beach. Any idea how much it runs for a taxi to Magen’s Bay? Are there taxi's there all day, (at the beach)? Is it safe enough to do it that way versus a ship's excursion? Cost/benefit, etc. We haven’t been there since our honeymoon 16 years ago. Is there a better beach that can be recommended?

BTW, this is our first Princess cruise, been on celebrity and RCL before, comparisons?

We will be on the CB in Jan. and wanted to know about a ship's beach excursion version going on our own. We want to spend more than 2 or so hours at the beach. Any idea how much it runs for a taxi to Magen’s Bay? Are there taxi's there all day, (at the beach)? Is it safe enough to do it that way versus a ship's excursion? Cost/benefit, etc. We haven’t been there since our honeymoon 16 years ago. Is there a better beach that can be recommended?

BTW, this is our first Princess cruise, been on celebrity and RCL before, comparisons?

Take a cab to Morning Star Beach with the Marriott. It is beautiful and there is a bar and restaurant

I totally agree with Logie. Beautiful beach, nice chairs and umbrellas "for a price", and a great little restaurant for food and drinks. You can ask the driver to come back for you. I plan on going back there in May. :)

Magen's bay is gorgeous and quiet. You can get food there too. No one bothers you there and the water is warm and calm. Although we went on a ship excursion, there were plenty of people there that came by cab also.

I have been to both Megans Bay and Coki's beach. Megan's Bay is beautiful. We went by taxi early in the am, around 8, and it was not crowded. We left around 1 and it was really starting to get busy. Coki's beach is next to the aquarium (spelling) which we also went to. Coki's is a very good snorkle spot because they feed the fish. My DH and grandson said it was the most fish they had ever seen. Megan's Bay you pay a small admission fee, I think around $3, but really don't remember. Megan's Bay is a lot closer and a less expensive cab cost. Anything else just ask. I would return to both beaches. This time, in Dec. we are going to St. John for the beach since this is our 4th time in St. Thomas and really want to see St. John. We are taking a ship tour for this because I really don't want to be watching my watch all day afraid of missing the ferry. Forgot to mention, both beaches have very calm water with no waves.

Loved Coki Beach! We were there in January 2006 and are going back again in January. We rented chairs and umbrellas and they take your food and drink orders and bring right to you. Excellent snorkelling and calm waters.

Magen's bay is gorgeous and quiet. You can get food there too. No one bothers you there and the water is warm and calm. Although we went on a ship excursion, there were plenty of people there that came by cab also.

I can't advise you about the beach, but you can find the taxi fares here (you will be docked at Crown Bay):

http://st-thomas.com/

Select "Transportation" then "Taxi Rates"

an even better web site is Vinow. CC won't allow a link. Enter the usual url: www then vinow followed by good ol' dot com. It has an excellent section on beaches, including photos.

I have to vote for Magen's Bay as the best beach in St. Thomas. It is truly paradise.

We've taken two week-long vacations in St. Thomas, so I'm lucky enough to be familiar with the entire island and it's beaches.

Coki beach is great for snorkeling if that's your interest, but it is a small beach and gets easily crowded.

I like Magen's the best because it is such a large beach that you can walk down and get away from the crowds. Plus the water is great and there are lots of trees for shade. There is a snack bar and regular bar there too & if you hang out by the snack bar, there are waitresses who will wait on you & bring you whatever frozen drink you like.

You can take a cab there or rent a car. The taxis are there almost all day long to take you back to the ship or into town. If you do rent a car, be sure to stop by "Udder Delite" on your way back, (it's in the dairy distributor that's right by the road) they have liquor milkshakes that are to die for!

My second choice would be Emerald Beach which is where the Emerald Beach Resort is located. It's a lovely beach and you can rent snorkel equipment.

We weren't too impressed with Coki. We found the beach to be very small and really over crowded. Don't get me wrong, we still had a great time (how could we not, we were in paradise), but I think our next stop will be Magen's Bay.

CruiseLiz..you sold me on that one!:)

I'm glad! I really do think that Magen's is the best. We spent entire days there when we visited in August and the time just flew.

Definitely check out Udder Delite if you can, I'm still dreaming about the shakes.

Sapphire Beach is also very lovely. I couldn't think of it at the time, but it would actually be my 2nd choice.

Have a great time!

We weren't too impressed with Coki. We found the beach to be very small and really over crowded. Don't get me wrong, we still had a great time (how could we not, we were in paradise), but I think our next stop will be Magen's Bay.

Love Megans Bay, there is no contest between the two.

Karen

I agree with the other posters that Coki can be very crowded, but the snorkelling was the most amazing I have ever seen. You can definitely still relax there with your chair and umbrella. I rented a blow up lounger and floated around on that (got burnt badly!) after I was exhausted from all the snorkeling. I was there in March and I believe the "train style" taxi was $11 per person one-way. We did set up a return time for them to pick us up and that worked out great. I'm sure you will enjoy whichever beach you choose! :D

I have been to secret harbor several times as my sister lives on St. Thomas and I visit once or twice a year. secret harbor is her favorite beach but I like Coki better. That being said Secret harbor is fairly small like Coki but almost no one ever comes there. there is a bar but I can't recall about food. anyway the snorkeling is pretty good since there is a rock outcropping to attract fish. Hope this helps. Joan

i vote for magen's also, coki can get too crowded if there are a lot of ships...magen's all you have to do is walk all the way to the right and you're away from everyone.

the marriott beach is nice and close but the water is more choppy and not as calm as magen's...much cheaper to do on your own also vs. the ship, they always fill up a van with people so it's only like 5 dollars a person plus the 3dollar entrance fee...the painkillers there are the best!

If you have the time take the ferry over to St. John. My wife and I were the only ones on Cinnamon Bay Beach. It was absolutely amazing! It takes about an hour with the taxi and then the ferry, but it was absolutely worth it. The view is breathtaking and it was basically our own private beach.

Of course if you don't want the commute part, Magen's Bay is awesome as well, but can get a bit crowded.

Honestly, you probably won't go wrong at any of them. Enjoy either way!

F

I have been to Secret Harbor. Its a beautiful beach and very good off shore snorkeling, straight out and on the sides where the rocks are. You can rent a chaise lounge and there is very nice shade under sea grape trees and palm trees. There is a bar, and restaurant plus restrooms. The food was very good. There is also a dive shop where you can rent snorkel gear. No waves at this beach. You will see alot of iguanas which are harmless. It was great. I had the best time.

It is part of the secret harbor hotel. So all you have to to do is go to the lobby and they will call you cab.

It is so uncrowded and peaceful that I will probably go back on my next cruise, even though I would like to try coki beach, because of the raves it gets for the snorkeling, but the only thing that turns me off is the crowds. Because I live in NYC and am subjected to crowds everywhere I go, I really try to seek out places where I can avoid a crowd if at all possible.

Try Secret Harbor, you wont be dissapointed.

Marge

Starz723

Sailing the Carribean Princess

July 10, 2008, E. Carribean

Archived