"Tips" about tipping you may not already know..

wrkfire911

I always thought that tipping in $2 bills or special dollar coins was odd anyway. I know people are trying to be special and set themselves apart, but you can do that with your attitude toward the staff. Being respectful and thanking them for their wonderful service is enough. They don't need designer money. ;)

Thanks for the link wrkfire911

I always liked your answers and input but I have to disagree with you on this one where you think that leaving special dollar coins are odd.

On my last two cruises my sister and I each left a gold coin on our pillows that first night before we went to the main dining room. The next morning when our steward thanked us we ask her/him if they preferred to have an American "paper" bill or the dollar coin and each replied that they kind of like the gold coin because it was different. So what might seem odd to you is not necessarily odd to the person that is getting it. And yes, I know that is your opinion and we are each entitled to our opinions but I just had to say my two cents worth.

I always liked your answers and input but I have to disagree with you on this one where you think that leaving special dollar coins are odd.

On my last two cruises my sister and I each left a gold coin on our pillows that first night before we went to the main dining room. The next morning when our steward thanked us we ask her/him if they preferred to have an American "paper" bill or the dollar coin and each replied that they kind of like the gold coin because it was different. So what might seem odd to you is not necessarily odd to the person that is getting it. And yes, I know that is your opinion and we are each entitled to our opinions but I just had to say my two cents worth.

Then it's probably best to ask what the person prefers because then again, what one person "kind of likes" could be different than what another wants.

last cruise we had extra wine and champagne that we brought on board and didn't open. i gave that to my steward on the last day and i swear he lit up like a christmas tree! way more then he did on the first day when i gave him a $20.

Hello Lowie,

Perhaps your steward was very happy with the wine, ....... but many will not be so happy. There are many stewards from countries that their religion will not let them drink any alcohol. Also most cruise lines are very strict with their crews and no alcohol is allowed in their cabins.

To the OP;

thanks for posting the link and informing 'us' about the 'clean money'.

It is absolutely true - few years ago I was visiting Poland and 'the banks' were discounting any US money that was marked with anything that did not belong there: any ink, any stamp, any writing on the bill front or back, or any damage to the bill / note. They were also not too happy to accept any hundred dollars bills ( the old style) not knowing for sure if it was the real thing.

Wes

Archived