"Tips" about tipping you may not already know..

wrkfire911

just found this on a blogspot for crew members on ships..I was not aware of some of the issues with the exchange of American currency that they speak of...apparently in some places such as the Phillipines it is VERY hard to exchange damaged or old money as well as larger bills..and it says often they are given a less amount in the exchange because of it...

check it out...I know on my next cruise I will make sure to take smaller denomination bills that are in great shape to use for additional tips...I hope this means the automatic tipping is a good thing for the workers also..on my last couple of cruises I have noticed a large amount of phillipinos on the ship...they work hard for their tips and I'd hate to see someone most deserving of every cent to get cheated over a full exchange amount!

http://crewoffice.blogspot.com/2006/05/onboard-currency-trading-with-your.html

This is a good argument for tipping with 2.00 bills. I have not used them and will not just because of this reason. These people work very hard, I hate to see this. With the poor exchange rates it is bad enough to have to take a loss on the money that is given to with good intentions. Thanks to the OP for this info.

OK apparently you did not read the blog with the link I posted. Exchanging is not always the case as you seem to have assumed. Maybe you should read the article. He also speaks of the $2 that are commonly used for tipping and how they are very hard to exchange. How often do you find crinkled and torn money? LOTS is my experience, there is no way that they can continuely exchange tatterted and torn bills and also the larger ones always at the pursers desk.

I did not post this as an "obsession" on crew issues nor did I post it to be flamed on the issue by yourself and others. I do tip appropriately and often go above and beyond the reccommended tipping amount. I believe in rewarding excellent service. In turn I happen to "care" that the hard earned money is exchanged appropriately to the dollar amount that I entended it to be in the first place.

JHMO....I do hope that others here find this information useful as was the original intention !!:)

Gaileeh..thanks for the positive comment!

I did follow your link and read the blog. I guess that I already knew this, and these are the things that I already do.

What I found particularly interesting is to read the comments posted in response to his column.

Several people said that they had been misled by CC, or that they had gotten this misinformation on CC.

All I can say is that EVERY time I have seen someone post about tipping in $2 bills or "gold" dollar coins, MANY people have responded and said not to.

They can exchange larger bills at the pursers desk. Stop obseesing about crew issues, tip appropriatly and don't worry so much about things that don't concern passengers.:confused:

It does concern all of us, if they can't get paid or things become too much of a hassle and they are a commodity to (good workers) to be had, they will move on. That affects the passengers, because we lose the best of the best to take care of us. And isn't that part of what cruising is about?

In the big picture, what a way to look at taking care of our other human beings. I appreciate the OP being concerned enough to look into something like this. I would hope there are people out there that are concerned about my welfare also.

It was a simple informative post, it is too bad people can't just see it that way.

Linda

OK apparently you did not read the blog with the link I posted. Exchanging is not always the case as you seem to have assumed. Maybe you should read the article. He also speaks of the $2 that are commonly used for tipping and how they are very hard to exchange. How often do you find crinkled and torn money? LOTS is my experience, there is no way that they can continuely exchange tatterted and torn bills and also the larger ones always at the pursers desk.

I did not post this as an "obsession" on crew issues nor did I post it to be flamed on the issue by yourself and others. I do tip appropriately and often go above and beyond the reccommended tipping amount. I believe in rewarding excellent service. In turn I happen to "care" that the hard earned money is exchanged appropriately to the dollar amount that I entended it to be in the first place.

JHMO....I do hope that others here find this information useful as was the original intention !!:)

Gaileeh..thanks for the positive comment!

I found this informative and very glad you posted this information.

I was told (and now think that was wrong information) that crew members like being tipped in American special dollars (the Indian girl - can't spell, so won't try;) ). That sounds like that could be a real hassle for them. I also was told and did give some phone cards. The crew members prefer to get the cash and buy their own, I was told by the crew member the card I gave may not work from their locations. I felt really bad about giving something that may be of no use.

Linda

I always thought that tipping in $2 bills or special dollar coins was odd anyway. I know people are trying to be special and set themselves apart, but you can do that with your attitude toward the staff. Being respectful and thanking them for their wonderful service is enough. They don't need designer money. ;)

Thanks for the link wrkfire911

This is another reason why I add the tips to my Seapass account.

I work for a bank and am very familiar with the problems people can have using US currency in another country. It was not uncommon to have clients request only new bills for this purpose.

I got a kick out of the one flaming CC. If the poster would only realize that there are a lot of us that have always suggested against gimmick tips and gifts. Whether it be a gold coin, $2 bill or a bad t shirt, what some give trying to be cute isn't necessary wanted.....

this has probably been mentioned already...but why do you give cash for ANYTHING unless you want to tip someone who doesn't charge for their services (ie. busboy in buffet).

just put the tip on your ship card.

you mean AGAINST tipping with $2.00 bills?

This is a good argument for tipping with 2.00 bills. I have not used them and will not just because of this reason. These people work very hard, I hate to see this. With the poor exchange rates it is bad enough to have to take a loss on the money that is given to with good intentions. Thanks to the OP for this info.

every cruise, however, i end up with foreign (non-US) coins. i just leave in the desk drawer in the stateroom the night b4 i disembark. the steward takes them. i don't consider it part of the tip. sometimes they are permitted off the ship at various ports. i guess they might be able to use them.

I got a kick out of the one flaming CC. If the poster would only realize that there are a lot of us that have always suggested against gimmick tips and gifts. Whether it be a gold coin, $2 bill or a bad t shirt, what some give trying to be cute isn't necessary wanted.....

umm...i'm not sure that my stateroom attendant or waiter has access to the purser's office. or a staff purser.

anyone know?

They can exchange larger bills at the pursers desk. Stop obseesing about crew issues, tip appropriatly and don't worry so much about things that don't concern passengers.:confused:

I think this is GREAT information. I did the designer stuff, that was before I found these boards and was mislead with some bad advice. The person was only trying to be nice and helpful, but these boards are more helpful than anything.

Linda

umm...i'm not sure that my stateroom attendant or waiter has access to the purser's office. or a staff purser.

anyone know?

It's my understanding crew have their own 'bank' on board. There is paymaster who handles their automatic tips and salary. I don't think the Officers or Crew have any of their business tended to at the Purser's Office or Front Office (it is sometimes called) that we use. I think there is a separate Crew Purser.

this has probably been mentioned already...but why do you give cash for ANYTHING unless you want to tip someone who doesn't charge for their services (ie. busboy in buffet).

just put the tip on your ship card.

Some people like to tip extra after they've put the tips on their ship card and feel that giving it directly to the staff is a bit more personal. Also, some tips are pooled so it's a way to give a tip to one specific person.

last cruise we had extra wine and champagne that we brought on board and didn't open. i gave that to my steward on the last day and i swear he lit up like a christmas tree! way more then he did on the first day when i gave him a $20.

Archived