Hello from Volendam!

bepsf

. ...We're talking SHORTS and T-shirts on Formal Night ... in the lounges before dinner, taking over the dance floor for "toot-toot" or whatever that awful song was that Brian mentioned, and eating in the main dining room. I'm sorry, but thats just wrong...

quote]

It's the shorts. That's what really gets me. Not wild about the t-shirts, but can live and let live. But, please put on long pants. How hard is that? I'm not obsessed with dress codes at all. I think that having folks in shorts in the dining room on formal night is inappropriate. Throw on a pair of slacks and I could deal with it. Guess I never realized it would bother me until I saw the photos. It's hard to overlook shorts.

BTW, Thank you so much Brian and Greg for posting all about this cruise. I've enjoyed reading about it from your perspectives! :)

Susan

Brian and Greg

As someone who was on the previous Volendam cruise, with the same itinerary, thank you for keeping the holiday alive. I have been following these postings with great interest and a certain amount of jealousy! Oh to be on board MS Volendam again!

From your reports it would seem we were blessed with better weather for the most part.

I am from the UK and discovered HAL in 2006 almost by accident but after researching the CC boards! On both occasions we have cruised with HAL I have hired a Tux so as to be able to conform with the formal dress nights. This has meant that I haven't had to load up my luggage by bringing my own from home!

On our first HAL cruise last year, even on informal nights I wore a collar and tie. I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed this year with the downgrading of dress code to just formal and casual. This was particularly so when I saw some of the attire on casual nights.

Formal nights on our cruise were fine as you are always going to see the odd few 'rebelling' against the code. I do think it is a shame though. I have to say I had no problem with the photos that were posted and if people want to disregard the dress code to such an extent they must surely expect to be ridiculed. I believe someone else has already said that if you don't want to dress smartly choose a more relaxed cruise line.

I am already looking forward to my next HAL cruise although think this will not be until 2009 as next year we want to cruise to the Baltic from the UK.

Save journeys home all and happy future cruising!

:)

Is there a chance that someone who has just been on the panama canal cruise could scan and post the daily newspaper here? We are on the ship leaving the 23rd and always wind up missing things because of scheduling. It sure would be nice to get a peek into the future.:)

I am also curious what took place at the Culinary Arts Center (Kitchen Stadium)? By the way, for those who were away, Michael Symon defeated John Besh to join the ranks of Iron Chef.

Thank You

I'm enjoying this Volendam cruise travelogue very much. Great writing, great photos! Thank you.

HOWEVER, I agree with others here that taking photos of unsuspecting folks in order to post those photos on a message board, solely for the purpose of castigating and ridiculing them, demonstrates a lack of good judgment. I'm sorry this otherwise excellent thread had to be thus derailed.

(Disclaimer: I do have all avatars, signatures and photo links turned off, so I can't see them unless I click on them. I have chosen not to click on the photos of the dress code violators in order to respect their privacy.)

Karin

I could not agree more! 100% I just saw all these comments and sadly also the photos. Rev... I am sorry but who are you the fashion police? I have to say I have lost respect for you when it comes to this. As someone else said it would be a different story if you ASKED these individuals and ALSO told them the purpose of the photo! YOU knew what the reaction would have been so you tried to sneak some photos of them. This is wrong since the purpose of it was to post them here. Yes people are in public places, but this does not give you the right to take and post for this as some example. I too wish I would have been one of these individuals to then be in contact with you. What's next ReV? You see someone who is wearing a dress but it is really old , dated, out of style and this does not fit the norm of cocktail dress so you post her as well? I am sorry it is not your job to be fashion police. If this really offends you so much then please go on another line or stay at home. I feel these are guidlines that HAL post and not RULES. Trust me when I sail I for sure adhere to the dress suggestions but when I come across someone not in "code" so be it!

shocking that a man in your position has chosen to do this.

!

I read and as always enjoyed RevNeal's great review.

I saw the photos and was looking for code violaters in the dining room and did not see any (They must have been there but not in the pics posted). I saw a couple in a shop.

I understand HAL would prefer that everyone adhere to the suggested dress code the entire evening and in all public areas, but I just don't think it bothers me what others are doing outside of the dining room. What about those who have late seating and are still in shorts because they have been at the pool and are on their way to their cabin to change at 7:30pm? Are they not allowed to use the elevator or stop in the gift shops? I understand the issue with the bar, but since we never go to the bars I haven't had to deal with that issue.

To me this is the same as leaving my home to go to dinner (we walk everywhere) and passing by others in jeans as we make our way to a restaurant.

I am interested if HAL let guests in shorts or jeans into the dining room?

Greg and Brian:

I too so much enjoyed your travelogue and it has made the last 10 days go by so much faster as I wait out just more 9 days till we board the Volendam. I have been in travel mode all month in anticipation of our cruise. We are cruising with 2 other couples and for both of them this will be only their 2nd cruise and I have been forwarding your posting to them and they really enjoyed the comments. I did not find any of the pictures you posted to be out of place or wrong as all you did was point out the obvious that if you have a big enough group, HAL will bend over to the all mighty dollar and let the group do and dress any way they want. I used your pictures to send an email to the other 2 couples in our group to clarify what is acceptable and not acceptable in the DR on formal nights, otherwise my brother in law would want to be one of those trying to get away with shorts in the DR. He gave in to my sister in law and will now be wearing a dark suit, after he saw how out of place those people in your pics looked. So thank you.

Desdemona, I also agree. After 10 cruises on other lines, DH and I signed up for our first HAL cruise thinking that we would be mingling with people like ourselves that enjoy dressing up for the evening on board. While perhaps posting the pictures wasn't particularly kind, I didn't find them offensive at all, just disappointing that even on HAL dress rules aren't enforced. I am looking forward to the rest of Brian and Rev Neal's post. By the way, I thought the leather pants looked smart. Georgetta

Thank you, Georgetta. I don't think you'll regret trying HAL. As Rev. Neal explained, the large number of those who were not dressing according to suggested code is an aberration. You will see some on every cruise but rarely, if ever, anywhere near this number. I think the enforcement, or lack thereof, was due to the numbers. We've seen people politely stopped at the DR door and asked to return to their cabin for the appropriate attire. I sincerely believe that you will have a wonderful time and enjoy the beautiful ships of HAL. Have a great cruise!:D

Des

I think it's been about 18 months - on the casual nights. I believe it started in April 2006 or thereabouts. We definitely saw them on our Alaskan cruise in May 2006 and again this year.

The HAL Know Before you Go booklet defines smart casual as:

“Slacks and sport shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women”

I see nothing about jeans in that statement???

“Slacks and sport shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women”

There used to be a statement that jeans were prohibited. This statement was eliminated quite some time ago. Increasingly, most cruise lines refrain from mentioning specific textiles/fabric content of clothing.

They stopped explicitly prohibiting jeans, which was formerly a part of the description. That meant that, by default, they accepted them. They also removed the signs saying they weren't acceptable. (Please don't shoot the messenger; just explaining what has happened).

Susan

There used to be a statement that jeans were prohibited. This statement was eliminated quite some time ago. Increasingly, most cruise lines refrain from mentioning specific textiles/fabric content of clothing.

And HAL takes another step backwards.:eek: Looking more and more like my Volendam cruise may be my last HAL cruise. My parents were on Celebrity this spring and jeans were not allowed in the DR on casual nights. All they seem to want to wear are jeans and so I will tell them to sail with HAL in the future.

I understand mistakes, lapses in judgment, impulsive humor that back fires and all the other assorted things that we humans do.

I did not understand a "pre-response to disbelief from certain voices..." given I could not recall any such voice let alone multiples.

I was curious and thought perhaps I missed something on this thread.

I took the time to reread this entire thread and in doing so, enjoyed most of the ride, again. I was not able to find a single post that expressed disbelief, in what was observed.

There were however, many posts from those saddened or supportive of the choice of attire and an assorted variety of posts related to why the Dining Room Manager had not banned the hundreds of non-compliant passengers from the Dining Room versus the impracticality of doing so.

The Rev subsequently observed that he had never seen this many passengers who were not dressed to code. And later, articulated that HAL sometimes enforces the dress code, dependent upon the attitude of the staff and the percentage and attitude of the passengers, not dressed. I for one agree with this.

So I remain confused about this whole deal and fully acknowledge no one owes me a response nor do I expect one.

Like all others, I appreciate most of this ride and wish all the passengers on the Volendam, a safe trip home, tomorrow. Peace.

Hammy, thank you so much for stating the obvious (to some of us anyway) and doing it so well. You always are the voice of reason and I love your posts.

And if you are confused, imagine how some of us newbies feel. :confused: :(

I still don't understand why people are so comfy in jeans. I know I'm in the minority, but I think they are the most uncomfortable clothing you can wear.

But let's face it ... there are jeans and there are dungarees. They are very different. The problem is there are a lot of very stylish looking jeans, some with beautiful embroidery and a bit of "bling" ... and then there are the frayed jeans with holes in them that some find so stylish.

So who decides which is "smart casual"? As always, once you relax the dress code you're on the road to casual casual. But that is what they've done to entice more people to cruise. HAL has decided to bow to the trend and the eventual result is obvious.

This cruise Brian and Greg were on is just the start. I've been around the block enough times to see the writing on the wall.

We're on one of the last full traditional dining cruises for a full 14 days. I generally don't pay much attention to percentages following dress code, but I'm going to try this time.

Jade, I agree with you. I've been guilty myself of suddenly noticing the time and realizing I'm still in shorts in a public area around 6:00. One reason we like late sitting is to have a longer day. Not a lot of fun to have to run and hide or quickly get to a non-public area when the short hand hits the 6!:D

I still don't understand why people are so comfy in jeans. I know I'm in the minority, but I think they are the most uncomfortable clothing you can wear.

But let's face it ... there are jeans and there are dungarees. They are very different. The problem is there are a lot of very stylish looking jeans, some with beautiful embroidery and a bit of "bling" ... and then there are the frayed jeans with holes in them that some find so stylish.

So who decides which is "smart casual"? As always, once you relax the dress code you're on the road to casual casual. But that is what they've done to entice more people to cruise. HAL has decided to bow to the trend and the eventual result is obvious.

This cruise Brian and Greg were on is just the start. I've been around the block enough times to see the writing on the wall.

We're on one of the last full traditional dining cruises for a full 14 days. I generally don't pay much attention to percentages following dress code, but I'm going to try this time.

Jade, I agree with you. I've been guilty myself of suddenly noticing the time and realizing I'm still in shorts in a public area around 6:00. One reason we like late sitting is to have a longer day. Not a lot of fun to have to run and hide or quickly get to a non-public area when the short hand hits the 6!:D

Hi Heather :) You're so right about "there are jeans and there are dungarees". Personally I never bring any jeans on a cruise, and yet I wear them at home a lot and find mine very comfortable. And they don't have a hole or frayed edge on them :D I have a question though, since HAL allows shorts, is there any rule about how short the shorts can be without being offensive? I mean, some people might push that envelope too. Just a thought. :eek:

Archived