Hello from Volendam!

bepsf

Have you checked to see if the dessert is on the Lido menu on "Revels with Rudy" night?

I don't do Lido---at least for dinner.

But you have a good idea there. Once Richard posts a picture of the new dessert I'll know what to look for at the next day's lunch. Sometimes the leftovers show up then.

Gosh, am I the only one who actually LIKES that Master Chef Dinner? We planned to avoid it last cruise, but our servers were so excited talking about it .... we didn't want to disappoint them. Yeah, it was sort of hokey - but the staff looked like they were really having fun. One server started a juggling routine, and our whole half of the dining room was cheering him on. We were glad we were there to see them cut loose for a bit and "do their thing".

Gosh, am I the only one who actually LIKES that Master Chef Dinner? We planned to avoid it last cruise, but our servers were so excited talking about it .... we didn't want to disappoint them. Yeah, it was sort of hokey - but the staff looked like they were really having fun. One server started a juggling routine, and our whole half of the dining room was cheering him on. We were glad we were there to see them cut loose for a bit and "do their thing".

:)

You're not the only one who actually likes the Master Chef Dinner. Some do like it, including some who post here. However, many people don't. Personally, the times I've experienced it I've been very embarrassed for the stewards, who have appeared to be very uncomfortable with the routine. I also don't particularly like the menu options for the meal, nor do I like the flashy show in the dining room. That's just my opinion.

Sorry, but if "their thing" is juggling then they should be in the show lounge. I prefer to have folks whose "thing" is dinner service taking care of me in the dining room, Donna.

My fondest hope is that one of these times they go into the "Chuck E. Cheese" routine that the entire dining room is empty!

But, here's a question - what happens in the lower dining room (the "any time" DR) on Amateur Juggler night?

On our last cruise I felt as Greg does.

I didn't get the impression the Stewards enjoyed it at all. Sure, they were smiling, doing the dance, playing the role, but their hearts weren't in it. And I quietly said to our Steward "Not your favorite night, is it?" and his response could not have been more clear.

It is not.

On our last cruise I felt as Greg does.

I didn't get the impression the Stewards enjoyed it at all. Sure, they were smiling, doing the dance, playing the role, but their hearts weren't in it. And I quietly said to our Steward "Not your favorite night, is it?" and his response could not have been more clear.

It is not.

I'm not fond of the night either. At my first one, my chef's hat fell apart and I really didn't want to wait until after the "show" for my dessert. However ... my wine steward was a big ham (he was a soloist in the crew show) who loved it!. My steward was OK with it, but not overjoyed - his assistant didn't crack a smile during the marching.

Didn't have one on the Oosterdam in January, but that may have been due to the introduction of AYW dining and the Code Red.

Thanks for the info, Richard. And thanks for the offer to post the new dessert picture. Since I'll never again be hungry enough to attend the Master Chef's Dinner I think that's the only way I'll ever see it. ;)
Here it is, as requested

2948589280086199872S500x500Q85.jpg

Oh, now talk about cutbacks. I'm not a fan of the Master Chef's dinner, but at least the dessert was something to look forward to, but I see that is no longer true.

You'd think, if the line wanted to save money, they'd cut out the Rudy "My ego is bigger than my toque" Sodamin autograph....;)

Here it is, as requested

2948589280086199872S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks for the visual, Richard.

I agree with Sage---the dessert was the only thing this dinner had going for it, so they take it away. :rolleyes:

I was even able to eat the chef's hard hat. :D

I am glad someone else says they like the Chef's dinner, I thought maybe there was something wrong with me. I and my DW and our tablemates on our last cruise on the Amsterdam enjoyed it very much, even the dinner.

through the ditch,

Greg, I love that you call it "The Ditch" as well - when we went on our Panama Canal cruise (with a bunch of friends we'd met on previous cruises) we called it the "The Ditch" cruise and one couple had t-shirts made for us which we all wore proudly during our transit.

When we were 50 days from sailing, I did a daily countdown and sent everyone an email with the message that was to be sung to the tune of "Camptown Racetrack": "XX more days till we're Doin' The Ditch, doo dah, doo dah", thus the shirts!

2746273070046068627S425x425Q85.jpg

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived