No-break out sunscreen

travel_babe

I couldn't find a thread about this, but if there is, just point me to it.

Last 2 times I was south of Canada I used Hawaiian Tropic and Coppertone sunscreen. Both times I broke out in little bumps, once on my back, the other time all over. The bumps were small and skin colored. They itched a bit, but aloe gel helped with that.

I'm not sure if I'm allergic to the sunscreen or what, but if anyone had a similar situation and found a good sunscreen, I'd be a very happy cruiser!

PS: Title should read: No break-out sunscreen. Oy.

Do you mean the face sunscreen? I like the Oil of Olay 30 spf for Faces. Neutrogena makes my face super greasy and very red.

You might want to check to see if your regular makeup line makes a sunscreen. Most of them have 15 or 30 spf moisturisers or tinted moisturisers.

Hope this helps!

I couldn't find a thread about this, but if there is, just point me to it.

Last 2 times I was south of Canada I used Hawaiian Tropic and Coppertone sunscreen. Both times I broke out in little bumps, once on my back, the other time all over. The bumps were small and skin colored. They itched a bit, but aloe gel helped with that.

I'm not sure if I'm allergic to the sunscreen or what, but if anyone had a similar situation and found a good sunscreen, I'd be a very happy cruiser!

PS: Title should read: No break-out sunscreen. Oy.

Were you out in the sun maybe for too long? Its possible that you had a reaction because of that. But I'm not a doctor...so don't quote me.:)

Re: Sunscreens.... A good one is Ombrelle by Loreal. Its a bit more costly than the average, and it doesn't contain any fragances or colorants, and is pretty much greasless. I really like that one and I find it works well. No breakouts!! :D SPF's range from 15- 60. You can purchase it at any Shoppers and I'm sure there are other stores that carry it as well. Another one you may want to try is by Kiss My Face. Its all natural and works great as well.

I hope this helps!

I too have sunscreen allergies--Severe, itchy red rashes! Try NO-AD. It has NO-Additives, thus the name.....not sure about putting it on your face but for your face try Clinic or Mary Kay sunscreen. More delicate on sensitive skin.... Something else I have noticed in the last few years is that as I age, I seem to be getting more and more sensitive to the sun. I love the sun and a pretty tan but the last 3 years at the beach i have broken out on my chest and legs so bad that i was itching unmercilessly. Age is a killer

I get sun poisoning which is little bumps like white blisters; sometimes I don't even see them but I feel them if I run my finger over the spots. It can take weeks for the spots to fade away and if I have lots of them I sometimes feel sick. I use Polysporin to help it if it is really bad.

I use Spectra 50; wear a big hat; wear sunveil shirt (sometimes even the gloves) or a Columbia 30 SPF Shirt and limit my time in the sun as much as possible. I still go to the beach but limit my time to 30 mins. in direct sun then I get under an umbrella. A few times I was pretty hot during our cruise this summer (Med/Egypt) with the long sleeves but not once did I get sun poisoning. As soon as the sun was not a threat I took off the sun-protection top.

Banana Boat was another brand that did not cause a problem for me.

Hope you find the right product for you.

Kathy:)

On my cruise a couple of months back I had a really bad reaction to my sunscreen. I bought SPF 60 (LOL - yes, I am fair) and I broke out so bad. I ended up having to go to the infirmary and getting prednisone pills!

I threw it away, but I think it was some kind of "sport" sunscreen. That had never happened to me before in my life. I have NO allergies. By the time it was done it was all over my torso. Misery!

I have really sensitive skin, and burn easily as well. My favorite sunscreen is the aerosol kind made by Neutrogena. I can't remember the exact name, but it comes in a light blue metal can, and says something about cooling spray. I'm prone to acne, but I can even use it on my face (spray it on your hands and apply to face, or if you're brave, close your eyes, don't breath, and spray away!). I usually buy it at Walmart (cheapest), and I've also seen it at Eckerd, Riteaid, CVS, etc.

I love the Neutrogena Fresh Cooling spray that the previous poster mentioned. I can spray my back, my face, I use it on my daughters face, so much better than trying to smear the lotion on evenly. And on her hair part, mine too, the top of DH's head on the small thin spot. I love it, and am really glad to hear that someone has flown with this, the whole aerosol can thing in the luggage...

Neutrogena also makes a non greasy one, for the life of me I can't remember the exact product name. White tube, blue cap, says non greasy or something on it. I actually use it for my face every day in the summer. I have avoided Neutrogena products in the past, the face washes, moisturizers, everything they make has made my face break out terribly! I'm not sure whether it's the time that has passed since I bought it previously, or advances in technology, or the fact that I am only using thier sunscreen, but it didn't break out at all.

I'd love to hear the responses from more ladies, I'm always looking for suggestions too!

My daughter is very allergic to products, and can only use a few brands of make-up, shampoo, lotions, etc. I checked with her, and she told me she uses Blue Lizard for her body, and Clarins on her face. Maybe these would work for you, as well. Good luck!

Archived