Train from Naples to Rome

We will be arriving in Naples and would like to take the train to Rome Termini station. Does anyone know what station is closest to the Cruise ship dock in Naples ? We arrive at 9 AM and are wondering about what time we can realistically hope to catch a train. Also, should we buy or tickets in advance or just take our chances so we can get on whatever the first train is? Any advice is appreciated! Jeanne

We will be arriving in Naples and would like to take the train to Rome Termini station. Does anyone know what station is closest to the Cruise ship dock in Naples ? We arrive at 9 AM and are wondering about what time we can realistically hope to catch a train. Also, should we buy or tickets in advance or just take our chances so we can get on whatever the first train is? Any advice is appreciated! Jeanne

Have you thought to look at the Italian Railways site? I'm sure that will answer most questions.

Multimap will let you know where the right station is.

The appropriate board covering your cruise line will be able to offer assistance as to speed of disembarkation - or is this merely a day trip?

Matthew

We did the exact same journey three years ago from Naples to Rome because we had never been to Rome before. We used the http://www.trenitalia.it website to look at schedules but did not buy the tickets until we got to the station. The route is operated by Eurostar Italia highspeed train equipment. Seems like they had an English link on the site but if they don't, use NAPOLI CENTRALE as your origin station and ROMA TERMINI as your destination station. My recollection is that the route is nonstop. Buy a roundtrip ticket so that you know what train you're going back to Naples on and have sufficient time to return to the ship. Rush hour traffic conditions existed when we returned to Naples but we had a great taxi driver this time who loved to drive on the tram tracks or up on sidewalks to get around other vehicles!

You'll need a taxi from the port to the Napoli Centrali station. The taxi drivers were all looking to give excursions or long drives so they weren't interested in the short route to the train station however they gave me to a "younger" driver who took us. Make sure the meter is not covered; ours was and I didn't notice it until after we started and of course it had about €10 already on it. When we got to the station I gave the guy about half of what was on the meter! It's about a 15-minute cab ride and I would not recommend walking it. In Rome the Termini station is a hub and you can use the Metro from there; buy a day pass from a newstand and count your change carefully!

BobK/Orlando

If you need to get on a particular train/time and it happens to be a Euro Star Italia--I would buy advance tickets on the Trenitalia English web site since advance reservations are needed(http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html, confusing at first, but doable, Amica discount may be available, you will get ticket receipt and confirmation by return e-mail--if too tough try RailEurope.com but you'll pay more). If it's NOT a EuroStar Italia train--you can buy tickets at the station ticket office or the ticket machines (in English).

Les

here are many trains from Naples to Rome, but the service is inaccurate.

It always buy tickets at the station, you have information on schedules in real time.

Do not worry, if you miss a train passes not much time to take another train!

Archived