Na Pali coast Kaui

ski ninja

If you are a NCLA ship, you will see it from your ship on the day you leave Kauai. The ship sails past the Na Pali coast on it's way to Honolulu.

We are taking a helecopter tour with Blue Hawaiian while on Kauai which includes seeing the Na Pali coast.

• Administrators
That would be nice if we did cruise by it on our way out of port, that would free us up to do something else on Kauai. We are on RCCL, does anyone know if they cruise past it as they leave port like NCL?

I believe that only the NCLA ships offer the Napali Coast sailby. You can check your RCCL itinerary; if a sailby is offered it should be listed on it.

I know that Holland America also does the Napali coast sailby. We did it two years ago, and friends of ours going on the same trip will be doing it in about two weeks. We are looking forward to a repeat when we are on POH in January! It is SO beautiful!

I was interested in seeing the Na Pali coast by boat but am trying to figure out who to go with. Anyone have any suggestions?

NCLA offers this excursion in Kauai, the boat will get up close to the shore for great views of the coast any marine life.

http://www.napali-explorer.com/

Click to Enlarge and other photos of the coast

color]<a href=color]

• Administrators
Which side of the ship is best for viewing the coast? Port or Starboard?

We have a balcony on the starboard side and I'm hoping thats the right side to view it from!

Thanks,

Gem

The port side of the ship gets the full view of the length of the Napali Coast sailby. Most NCLA captains turn the ship (once, or more than once) during the sailby to give the starboard side a view, as well. But it's port side that gets the full enchilada on the view.

• Administrators
Which side of the ship is best for viewing the coast? Port or Starboard?

We have a balcony on the starboard side and I'm hoping thats the right side to view it from!

Thanks,

Gem

:( Sorry, but the port side has the view of the Napali Coast during the entire sailby. However, most NCLA captains do turn the ship once or twice during the sailby to give the starboard side a view.

Does the PoAm (7 day cruises) do the sail by as well? It doesn't look like it on the itinerary map but in the past I've heard that they do. The 10day cruises show the sail by on the map.

I'm on the back/port side so that would be awesome!!

Kristi

Do the Napali Explorer!

We did the Napali Explorer as well as saw the coast line from both helicopter and from the cruise ship. All 3 are very different imho. The Napali sees it the best as well as you get the lore/legend of the beaches, see all the marine life, we went into a cave, etc. The helicopter sees it beautifully from the air. The cruise ship is nowhere near as close. You 'see' the cliffs and beaches, but not like from the Explorer. It was a highlight of our trip and the others on board with us. Plus, when Napali picked us up at the pier, we had a wonderful drive to that side of the island and back where they answer all your questions about the island culture, hurricanes, whatever your mind can think of to ask. :)

We were on PoAm in early Oct. One of the things the ship's Hawaiian guide said during the Na Pa Li sailby is that because of military installations on the northwest coast of Kauai, boat traffic is restricted. So when we sailed to Na Pa Li, we left the harbor and sailed counterclockwise around the island to get to Na Pa Li, then eventually got to a point where the captain turned the boat around and we sailed back the way we came. This means that both sides got a view of the coast. We were on starboard side, so went up on deck for the first part of the sail by, then returned to our cabin and balcony when the boat turned around and were able to watch the sunset on the coast from there.

Just got of the Oct 27th Pride of America sail.

We had a balcony room on port side. NCL sailed past the cost first while it was light out and we saw everything perfectly.

Once the ship turned around and went back for the other side to view, it was starting to get dark out.

It was worth seeing, beautiful but really slow.

Archived