How much tip for luggage handler?

wilson9112

We usually give 1 or 2 dollars per bag. I'd say it's more likely to be the $2 per bag because I feel guilty of how many bags we have and how heavy they are :o Last time I just BARELY made the 50 lb limit. My suitcase weighed in at 49.8 lbs!!!:eek:

We also give $1-2 per bag based on size and how far they have to bring them. We got off the Crown this morning and the porter brought our 7 bags from the terminal all the way out to car parked at the Pier so we gave him a $20.

We usually give 1 or 2 dollars per bag. I'd say it's more likely to be the $2 per bag because I feel guilty of how many bags we have and how heavy they are :o Last time I just BARELY made the 50 lb limit. My suitcase weighed in at 49.8 lbs!!!:eek:

LOL..I did that last time but I learned my lesson. Im packing much less this time and limiting myself to one bag only! I never use what I bring. I probably use 20%:D .

Odds are if you ever want to see your luggage again, you'll tip them a couple bucks a bag regardless of what the sign says.

How true that sounds. I always gave a buck but I guess I will make it two! P.S...I love the pic of your cats. The cat on the right looks just like mine and I had to put him to sleep this week (my name on here is Wilson, that was my cat):(

We give a dollar a bag, but was very surprised when we left from Quebec 2 weeks ago on the Grand Princess, and the baggage handlers would not take a tip. That is the truth! My DH tried a couple of times to give them absolutely would not take it.

How true that sounds. I always gave a buck but I guess I will make it two! P.S...I love the pic of your cats. The cat on the right looks just like mine and I had to put him to sleep this week (my name on here is Wilson, that was my cat):(

Sorry about your cat wilson:(

yeah pets can be like family, I already told my husband when it's time for the dog to go down I would rather give her meds at home and let her go to sleep in her bed one last time, how sad for you... :o

ok before we get in trouble for being off topic, yes it is always best to tip the porters, we haven't lost a bag yet. In fact-now this was a bit shocking, when we were in st. lucia last April for a week, when we went to fly home the check in for the flight is outside, there were some men who grabbed our bags and said, don't forget to tip your porter if you want your bag to make it on the plane. They stood there holding our bags staring us down, there was no where to bring the bags, it was the check in right there but you can be sure I had my husband give the man 20.00 so we and our luggage could get on the plane!

We usually tip about $2/bag. And I am sooooooo sorry about your cat. We just had 1 of ours put to sleep... I almost needed psych meds after.... and he has a sister that needs to be put to sleep too but I just can't do it right now.

OMG, I still have his sister but she is healthy. This year has been terrible for pets. I put my 12yr old cat to sleep in March she had cancer. Now I put my 6yr old to sleep this week. My bird died 2 months ago. My dog is 12 yrs old and a German Shep and he is limping around. Im left with a sick dog, 1 cat and 1 bird. After they go I am NOT having anymore pets. My heart breaks and I cannot do it anymore.:(

Sorry about your kitty Wilson!:( I had my Brianna just put down also-I really feel your pain!

Wilson - 2 brother cat retired to Florida with us in 96. We lost them a few years later (one almost 17 and the other 17 1/2) to kidney failure.

We said then, no more pets.

We lasted 3 years before we adopted 2 sisters from the humane society here. One is Smokie (the grey one) and the other Delilah. We didn't change their names.

You say now that you won't get anymore, but see what you think after a couple years of an empty house.

carlmm - You're surprised someone would "lose" your bags if you didn't tip them? It's just a fact of life in our world today. There are some things I miss about the 50s and early 60s.

Sorry about your kitty Wilson!:( I had my Brianna just put down also-I really feel your pain!

Wow, sorry guys, this turned into a pet thread. Now that we are on the subject, what do you do with a sick pet when you go cruising? If you have someone watch your pet and they get sick what do they do.

We give a dollar a bag, but was very surprised when we left from Quebec 2 weeks ago on the Grand Princess, and the baggage handlers would not take a tip. That is the truth! My DH tried a couple of times to give them absolutely would not take it.

Not so in Miami

Even with the sign that says "no tipping" the guy waited for one :D

Wow, sorry guys, this turned into a pet thread. Now that we are on the subject, what do you do with a sick pet when you go cruising? If you have someone watch your pet and they get sick what do they do.

Our house/cat sitter works at our vet's office and has our permission to do whatever is necessary. Check with your vet's office. I'd bet there's someone there who does pet-sitting.

We lost our sweet BJ kitty a couple of months ago to kidney disease. He was over 18 years old, but it was still very hard. We're not ready for another cat yet, but our house/cat sitter still takes care of our house when we cruise.

Back OT, we've never had a baggage handler turn down a tip. We check two suitcases and tip $5.00. Nothing has ever gone missing :) . Generally, don't believe the "no tipping" signs.

Our house/cat sitter works at our vet's office and has our permission to do whatever is necessary. Check with your vet's office. I'd bet there's someone there who does pet-sitting.

We lost our sweet BJ kitty a couple of months ago to kidney disease. He was over 18 years old, but it was still very hard. We're not ready for another cat yet, but our house/cat sitter still takes care of our house when we cruise.

Back OT, we've never had a baggage handler turn down a tip. We check two suitcases and tip $5.00. Nothing has ever gone missing :) . Generally, don't believe the "no tipping" signs.

Ok, maybe I will check into the vet. Thanks. And yes, I will give $2 per bag now:D

Was curious what the going rate was.

On the cat note, my kitty is laying on the floor holding one of my shoes chewing on the shoe laces. I have tried to convince him he isnt human and doesnt own the house, without much success.

Was curious what the going rate was.

On the cat note, my kitty is laying on the floor holding one of my shoes chewing on the shoe laces. I have tried to convince him he isnt human and doesnt own the house, without much success.

LOL, enjoy your kitty, I wish I still can. Have fun:D

I love stories about how wonderful cats are! I have 2 of my own & worry when they are home alone (I think they do too much partying when they know i'm not coming 'round for a while :D).

A few years ago I had to put my 8-month old kitten to sleep... lt was TOO SAD! We always say no more pets when this "round" is gone, but i don't think we can stick to it. The house is too empty without their little cat paws on the floor and no one to rouse me early in the morning :)

& no... i didn't have anything to add to the bags conversation :p

Archived