Passport for NCL

Luckyone2

I have read where passports are not being required until Summer 2008 on cruises. When I try to register on the NCL site, and it comes to documentation the only option being given is passport. I am cruising in March. I KNOW that I should get a passport anyway, but is NCL requiring them before Summer 2008?

Thanks!

Yes they are :( I called to make sure after I went to the government site stating that it wasn't going to be in effect until summer 2008, and I even stated this to the representative. She told me that it was NCL's policy that all cruisers had to have passports. So needless to say, my husband and I are going this week.

I have read where passports are not being required until Summer 2008 on cruises. When I try to register on the NCL site, and it comes to documentation the only option being given is passport. I am cruising in March. I KNOW that I should get a passport anyway, but is NCL requiring them before Summer 2008?

Thanks!

NCL updated their page a few days ago. I believe it says you do NOT need a passport now until summer,a BC will suffice.

Thanks!

Sorry here is the quote from the NCL homepage.

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

You only need proof of citizenship and a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, a valid or recently expired passport, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a report of your birth abroad.

NCL strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air.

Here's the problem: there is always the possibility that you will return by air. If you miss the ship, if a loved one falls ill or dies, or if they kick you off, you will be returning by air. And that means a passport.

So, it is just plain smart to get one, whether it is required or not by NCL.

Here's the problem: there is always the possibility that you will return by air. If you miss the ship, if a loved one falls ill or dies, or if they kick you off, you will be returning by air. And that means a passport.

So, it is just plain smart to get one, whether it is required or not by NCL.

I couldn't agree with you more. You, or a family member with you or at home, can get sick, or have an accident, with little warning.

My brother, at age 53, had a stroke earlier this month without much warning in Fort Worth, spent over a week in the hospital, and the bill so far has reached $61,300. He's doing very well now and is at home.

Besides getting your passports, don't forget to get cruise insurance too. You never know when and where small disasters will occur. The odds are it will occur when you can least afford it, or at the most inconvient time.

I want to book one of those last minute cruises, and I do not have a passport. The cruise I want is on Dec 2 and there is no way I can get a passport before then (and I have no intentions of trying). I have cruised twice, the most recent was last May, and used my BC and drivers license as identification and had no problem. Will this not work now? This cruise is in less than a month and I really want to book it! I have not tried NCL and really want too but if they will not let me use my BC I will have to sail with another line this time. :(

for 2007, you are fine with photo ID and BC....if you are cruising in/out of the states..no flights. the ships are having a hard time keeping up with the passport rules...the government changes them after the ship's have their new booklets/website up.

I am cruising in March as well and JUST attempted to complete the advance guest registration form on their website. I don't see any updated information saying that you just need proof of citizenship and a photo ID. That might be for cruises within 2007, but not 2008. Here is what it says on the advance guest registration form on their website:

DOCUMENT TYPE

U.S. Citizens
traveling to Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Hawaii to Fanning Island, Mexico and the Caribbean require the following documentation:

• Passport

Note:
Only the documentation type listed will be accepted for sailing.

Failure to present appropriate documentation will result in boarding being denied with no refund offered.

Notary stamped or photocopies are NOT accepted.

I'm not foolish, please, quite the opposite.

Given what happned with the cruise we were on, We had to do immigration right on the boat. that meant showing your passport because we were reentering US waters.

People do get stuck in foreign countries for whatever reason. So having a passport prior to traveling just makes your life easier.

It only takes a few weeks to get one these days because there's no longer any backlog.

I honestly wouldn't travel outside of the country without it because of all the craziness outside of our borders these days. If you DO get stuck and have to take a plane back, you'd be out of luck and would have to go to an Embassy. They would help you get a passport as long as you could prove you were a US Citizen, but you'd still have to have one before getting on a plane back into the country.

The government says one thing to citizens, another to the travel industry. Think about who they happen to be leaning on hardest...and its not really the citizens.

All I can say (and anyone else for that matter) is if you feel its worth taking chances, then go for it. I won't tell you to not do it because you're grown, you have to do what ever it is you think is best for you. Just know that you could have an issue should you go to a non US destination.

-Q

Veryhotred - I traveled in March without a passport, and without a problem. I am usually a better safe than sorry person, but just didn't do it. I don't think it will be required until January 1 2008 for NCL. I am getting one for my cruise in March because my husband is nervous of missing the boat and having to fly back (and not being able to). Do what makes YOU feel comfortable and have a great trip!

I am cruising in March as well and JUST attempted to complete the advance guest registration form on their website. I don't see any updated information saying that you just need proof of citizenship and a photo ID. That might be for cruises within 2007, but not 2008. Here is what it says on the advance guest registration form on their website:

DOCUMENT TYPE

U.S. Citizens
traveling to Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Hawaii to Fanning Island, Mexico and the Caribbean require the following documentation:

• Passport

Note:
Only the documentation type listed will be accepted for sailing.

Failure to present appropriate documentation will result in boarding being denied with no refund offered.

Notary stamped or photocopies are NOT accepted.

Just my opinion, but NCL doesn't have the friendliest web site around, I guess you're experiencing that.

I've had to take this whole passport issue on over the course of the last month, and NCL has changed its policies to conform with Dept. of State/ Homeland Security. I'll copy what has been posted here, and elsewhere, before, it's from NCL's site:

"As early as Summer 2008, the U.S. government will require all of our guests to be in possession of a valid passport when sailing on any NCL cruise.

Because passport regulations are subject to change, we encourage you to visit http://www.travel.state.gov for the latest requirements and overseas information before you sail.

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

You only need proof of citizenship and a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, a valid or recently expired passport, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a report of your birth abroad.

NCL strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air."

Just my opinion, but NCL doesn't have the friendliest web site around, I guess you're experiencing that.

I've had to take this whole passport issue on over the course of the last month, and NCL has changed its policies to conform with Dept. of State/ Homeland Security. I'll copy what has been posted here, and elsewhere, before, it's from NCL's site:

"As early as Summer 2008, the U.S. government will require all of our guests to be in possession of a valid passport when sailing on any NCL cruise.

Because passport regulations are subject to change, we encourage you to visit www.travel.state.gov for the latest requirements and overseas information before you sail.

NCL strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air."

That is the 2007 policy for NCL. The 2008 policy is passport only as of January 2008. I called twice to make sure - since I'm so cheap! :)

That is the 2007 policy for NCL. The 2008 policy is passport only as of January 2008. I called twice to make sure - since I'm so cheap! :)

I have spent I'd guess between 8-10 hours on this issue. Many emails, snail mail, phone calls. My TA likewise. We both have gotten mixed messages from NCL until recently, much like the one you have just received.

I will tell you my interpretation of the new verbiage on NCL's website, and that interpretation is that a passport will not be required for sea/land travel from the US to Mex/Carib/Bahamas/Bermuda/Alaska until the summer of 2008.

I truly don't think the people at NCL you talked with know what they are talking about. I would suggest that you have your TA call NCL to get the real scoop.

Here is the link directly from the NCL web site which addresses this issue:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=PassportRequirements

Also, this from NCL's "Required travel documentation and information" page on its web site:

"Proof of Citizenship & Proof of Identity

U.S. and Canadian citizens must provide PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP and PROOF OF IDENTITY for boarding NCL cruises returning to the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean or returning to Canada for Norwegian Sun Alaska sailings:

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP consists of one of the following:

Valid or recently expired passport (preferred)

Original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate (photocopies are not accepted)

Certificate of Naturalization

Certificate of Citizenship

Report of a Birth Abroad

PROOF OF IDENTITY consists of one of the following:

(applicable to everyone 16 years of age and older)

Government Issued Photo ID

Valid Driver's License that Includes a Photograph

Company policy dictates that any guest traveling without proper photo identification as described will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund will be issued.

As early as Summer 2008, the U.S. government will require all of our guests to be in possession of a valid passport when sailing on any NCL cruise.

I have spent I'd guess between 8-10 hours on this issue. Many emails, snail mail, phone calls. My TA likewise. We both have gotten mixed messages from NCL until recently, much like the one you have just received.

I will tell you my interpretation of the new verbiage on NCL's website, and that interpretation is that a passport will not be required for sea/land travel from the US to Mex/Carib/Bahamas/Bermuda/Alaska until the summer of 2008.

I truly don't think the people at NCL you talked with know what they are talking about. I would suggest that you have your TA call NCL to get the real scoop.

Here is the link directly from the NCL web site which addresses this issue:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=PassportRequirements

Also, this from NCL's "Required travel documentation and information" page on its web site:

"Proof of Citizenship & Proof of Identity

U.S. and Canadian citizens must provide PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP and PROOF OF IDENTITY for boarding NCL cruises returning to the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean or returning to Canada for Norwegian Sun Alaska sailings:

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP consists of one of the following:

Valid or recently expired passport (preferred)

Original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate (photocopies are not accepted)

Certificate of Naturalization

Certificate of Citizenship

Report of a Birth Abroad

PROOF OF IDENTITY consists of one of the following:

(applicable to everyone 16 years of age and older)

Government Issued Photo ID

Valid Driver's License that Includes a Photograph

Company policy dictates that any guest traveling without proper photo identification as described will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund will be issued.

As early as Summer 2008, the U.S. government will require all of our guests to be in possession of a valid passport when sailing on any NCL cruise.

I read the lengthy thread last week concerning your situation. I wish you the very best. I know what you think you worked out, and I know what one part of the web site says, but the part where you have to register before you leave for the port will only accept passport information, no birth certificate info.

As a suggestion, I would get in writing from someone at NCL (or better yet get your congressman to get it from the state department for you) with authority that you can travel in your time frame without passports. I am very concerned that in spite of what you think you have resolved that you are going to be more than very disappointed. I hope that it doesn't happen but the way this passport issue has gone for the past year I would not trust anyone.

Good luck and I hope you end up being able to laugh at all this mess when you get back.

I am just telling you what two separate representatives told me for my March 2008 cruise as well as showing you the information that comes up when I try to register. Hopefully you will get on without a problem. Have a happy cruise.

I don't doubt at all that you got that story from NCL reps. The information flow at NCL is not the best, and that's an understatement.

I personally would rely on hard copy information, and what is said on the web site is what I am basing my summer '08 time line on. I also have hard copy confirmation from someone at NCL to that effect, with an actual name.

Thus, I'm confident traveling w/birth certificates until the govt. sets a firm date for passports.

I read the lengthy thread last week concerning your situation. I wish you the very best. I know what you think you worked out, and I know what one part of the web site says, but the part where you have to register before you leave for the port will only accept passport information, no birth certificate info.

As a suggestion, I would get in writing from someone at NCL (or better yet get your congressman to get it from the state department for you) with authority that you can travel in your time frame without passports. I am very concerned that in spite of what you think you have resolved that you are going to be more than very disappointed. I hope that it doesn't happen but the way this passport issue has gone for the past year I would not trust anyone.

Good luck and I hope you end up being able to laugh at all this mess when you get back.

Curiously, I have hard copy print outs of our advanced guest registration forms, and there are five options allowed for proof of citizenship, two of which are state issued birth certificate and passport.

As I said, I have a confirmation of this policy with a name from NCL, IMHO getting something from the govt. is not necessary as both DOS and Homeland Security have stated that the summer of '08 is the new time line.

Veryhotred - I traveled in March without a passport, and without a problem. I am usually a better safe than sorry person, but just didn't do it. I don't think it will be required until January 1 2008 for NCL. I am getting one for my cruise in March because my husband is nervous of missing the boat and having to fly back (and not being able to). Do what makes YOU feel comfortable and have a great trip!

If I was cruising next year or later I would get one but this cruise is SOON! I will not get one and take my chances. *fingers crossed* If something happens with my daughter, my husband will be here in the US so I think I should be okay. *knock on wood*. Me and my husband took our two kids on a cruise earlier this year and we all traveled with just our BC's and it was just fine. Thanks for the info!!!!!

Because passport regulations are subject to change, we encourage you to visit www.travel.state.gov for the latest requirements and overseas information before you sail.

Isn't it all so confusing?..lol..thank you for clarifying!!!

You can also get them expedited by paying extra and get them within 2 weeks. See the site http://www.getapassportnow.com and also check out http://www.travel.state.gov for the latest on travel by sea.

Earleri this year, passports were taking up to 4 mongths in my area to get them processed, but now since extra agents have been hired - it most recently took 4 weeks to get passports from the New Orleans passport agency for MS residents.

Don't risk it - get a passport! They are good for 10 years! What if the gov't or cruise lines change their minds AGAIN?????????

Just BE SURE you can get your passport back in time for the cruise because you will have to mail off your birth certificate. Worst case scenario if it doens't come in time, then you'd have to get another birth certificate to board the ship.

Archived