Bringing Duct Tape, what is the purpose?

wilson9112

Wow, You mean you buy a case of water and you dont have to put it in a piece of luggage. You just tape your info on it? Nice ideas:)

Nope, doesn't go in the luggage. I used to do that till I learn this easier way. Also like some one else said you can do it with soda too.

The main reason for doing the water is so the plastic doesn't loosen or tear while being handled.

I print out a couple of sheets of paper with our information on it. I use a big font (36 or 48), red for the cabin #, black for everything else. I get two tags on one sheet of 8x10 paper. Example from our last cruise:

NCL SUN

LAST NAME

AFT

This is also the same thing we use on our ice chest.

Nope, doesn't go in the luggage. I used to do that till I learn this easier way. Also like some one else said you can do it with soda too.

The main reason for doing the water is so the plastic doesn't loosen or tear while being handled.

I print out a couple of sheets of paper with our information on it. I use a big font (36 or 48), red for the cabin #, black for everything else. I get two tags on one sheet of 8x10 paper. Example from our last cruise:

NCL SUN

LAST NAME

AFT

This is also the same thing we use on our ice chest.

An idea I am going to use. Thank you!

We also had a large long cut in one of our suitcases that occured at the port before we got our luggage in our room. We used the duct tape to tape it together till we got home.

I've also read that its great if you tear the hem of slacks.

I have read that some people take duct tape on the cruise...have yet to figure out why?

1. Used to hem pants in 20 seconds beore leaving cabin.

2. Repaired carry on luggage handle GOING to the port.

Wow. I have seen masking tape used, and in fact it is a staple on fashion shoots. But duck tape? Nothing like losing a bunch of skin.

this was recomended for a double EE gal who could not find a bra that fit her properly to wear a gown with no straps-I guess maybe masking tape only works for skinny models. Personally I am midsized and I doubt it would work for me, except to keep my nipples from shinning through thin fabric. but, no I will not use duct tape! I just pick a differant gown!

as far as hemming pants, you can now buy that liquid thread stuff which makes hemming a breeze- but I do that home, prior to leaving on my trip so I can press a crease in the bottom of those pants also, I hate the look of hemmed pants that have not been creased in the new seam-they look at though they were "tacked up" temporaily so a shorter person could borrow a taller peron's pants-so no duct tape for that as far as I am concerned!

On my July AOS cruise, I had to purchase 5 cartons of cigarettes. Without any extra space available in my luggage, I just duct-taped 4 of them around the carrying case I got in St Thomas for the booze I had bought.

I LOVE THIS!!! The visual made me laugh for 10 minutes. I'm still laughing. I'm from Texas, were you raised in the south also? That seems like total southern ingenuity.

Somehow, you'll never have a use for duct tape until you don't have it with you. The zipper in my new suitcase let go on a trip to San Francisco and I had to buy expensive luggage straps to keep it shut to get it checked. After that, I never went anywere again without duct tape. The wheels were about to fall off of another suitcase and a pull up handle cracked...all repaired temporarily with duct tape!

It makes a great strapless bra for well-endowed gals who find the regular strapless bra doesn't work well to hold them up. I've been using it for years to fashion a strapless bra after getting the instructions from my girlfriend whose husband was a Playboy photograher. A lot of tape is apparently vital in that business!

For those who prefer it, duct tape also comes in clear now...believe 3M manufactures it.

To refresh, and possibly add a few uses:

1. Repair broken luggage parts/pieces

2. Emergency repairs to clothing

3. Keep drapes closed after a somewhat lengthy nite out and want to sleep in.

4. In rough seas, dresser drawers have been known to open - walk into one at night.. ouch!

5. Leave your handcuffs at home?? :rolleyes:

6. Blister preventer (I was the Boy Scout poster)

7. Ensure the single beds - made into a double/queen - do not separate while under 'stress'.;)

8. Name tags.

9. If you have a balcony, either duct tape or a bungee could be used to hold the sliding door open.

10. .... any more ??

Wow. I have seen masking tape used, and in fact it is a staple on fashion shoots. But duck tape? Nothing like losing a bunch of skin.

Clear duct tape - yes, they make it - doesn't show through clothing and is a fabulous bra alternative... but you need to have practice with it or the result is not pretty. In experienced hands, no bra can come close.

Also, bandaids over the sensitive bits are a must.

Removal varies due to one's sensitivity to the adhesive. When in doubt, have a few nightcaps before removal.

Perhaps I should clarify something about the duct tape bra. You do not need to fashion an entire bra for this purpose. One length of tape goes under the boobs and that's it. It's all you need if it's done properly because it's not supposed to show under clothing.

I cut a piece long enough to go from one side of my body to the other. Here is where you might want to press the tape on a towel to release some of the stickiness before applying it to your skin. Lean over so your boobs are away from your body and apply the tape at the underneath part of the boob, starting at one side and continuing to the other side. When you stand up straight, your boobs will have the support they need and they will stay that way until you remove the tape.

It's a good idea to experiment with this before hand, so you learn how to do it and also to remove the tape afterward. I always travel with a small bottle of rubbing alcohol which helps in getting off sticky tape residue.

Some people may have sensitive skin and might want to look into buying surgical tape or special fashion tape used for this purpose.

For those who prefer it, duct tape also comes in clear now...believe 3M manufactures it.

6. Blister preventer (I was the Boy Scout poster)

JolieMadam...where can you find this? It will work great for the blister prevention.

UPCrawfish...this is one of the best suggestions I have ever heard. I am going on a search for the clear duct tape and putting in the luggage. I am sorry I didn't give you the proper byline in this thread. ;)

Perhaps I should clarify something about the duct tape bra. You do not need to fashion an entire bra for this purpose. One length of tape goes under the boobs and that's it.

Im guessing this isnt recommended for large chested women ?? :D

It's a good idea to experiment with this before hand, so you learn how to do it and also to remove the tape afterward.

Oh yah I can just see my husband now....Honey, what on earth are you doing??!! :eek: :eek: :D

Perhaps I should clarify something about the duct tape bra. You do not need to fashion an entire bra for this purpose. One length of tape goes under the boobs and that's it. It's all you need if it's done properly because it's not supposed to show under clothing.

I cut a piece long enough to go from one side of my body to the other. Here is where you might want to press the tape on a towel to release some of the stickiness before applying it to your skin. Lean over so your boobs are away from your body and apply the tape at the underneath part of the boob, starting at one side and continuing to the other side. When you stand up straight, your boobs will have the support they need and they will stay that way until you remove the tape.

It's a good idea to experiment with this before hand, so you learn how to do it and also to remove the tape afterward. I always travel with a small bottle of rubbing alcohol which helps in getting off sticky tape residue.

Some people may have sensitive skin and might want to look into buying surgical tape or special fashion tape used for this purpose.

Being a woman I can understand. But being a man and reading this LOL...I can see the guys picturing this in their heads..Yeah, I know,its rough being a woman :D

I'm definatly not a one strip will hold it kind of a girl. I'd end up looking like the top half of the tin man in the Wizard of Oz. We did use a bit of tape on our last cruise to soften the rough broken edge of our rolling suitcase handle after it got smashed.

I'm definatly not a one strip will hold it kind of a girl. I'd end up looking like the top half of the tin man in the Wizard of Oz. .

Same here, I may have to pack 2 rolls :D

You guys(oops gals) made my day. Way too funny!!!!!!

BTW, I just did a walmart run and they have the clear, so I bought a roll and put it with the things to be packed.

Cindy, no problem about the by-line credit...:)

One thing I should expand on though.... Since the Scouts are not wearing open-toed slings or high heels..:eek: we don't need the clear tape.

When we do have to use the tape for a 'pre-blister event', it is placed directly upon the skin of the heel where the 'heat' is beginning. then the proper socks are placed back over the tape and heel...

So, it's flesh / tape / sock(s) / boot.... Hopefully no blisters...:D

Archived