Bringing Duct Tape, what is the purpose?

wilson9112

I have read that some people take duct tape on the cruise. I have been on several cruises and I have yet to figure out why? Does anyone know? If so, can you tell me a few ideas? Thanks:D

Even the people who brought along the duct tape in the first place are probably asking themselves "Why the h*** did we bring this stupid duct tape for?"

Although I brought duct tape on our first cruise, I don't anymore. However, I do bring a roll of scotch tape to stick notes on the mirror for the Steward or the kids. I also tape the magnetic card that we use for the safe to the bottom side of the desk drawer so we know where it is....and nobody else!

I took some with me last year, I wasn't going to because I like minimize clutter when traveling. I kept reading about it here on CC, but thought, nah. Here's what changed my mind:

I was reading one of Barry Eisler's "John Rain" thrillers, John Rain is a Japanese-American assassin. He always has all of these odd things to kill with.:eek: Anyway, in this one particular book, John Rain says he always carries a length of duct tape, wrapped around a credit-type plastic card, in his wallet. Because you never know when you will need duct tape.

So that's what I did. I wrapped some duct tape around a plastic card, put it in my purse, and took it on our cruise. I used a small amount to take lint off of my black sweater.:)

Silly, huh?:D

I took some with me last year, I wasn't going to because I like minimize clutter when traveling. I kept reading about it here on CC, but thought, nah. Here's what changed my mind:

I was reading one of Barry Eisler's "John Rain" thrillers, John Rain is a Japanese-American assassin. He always has all of these odd things to kill with.:eek: Anyway, in this one particular book, John Rain says he always carries a length of duct tape, wrapped around a credit-type plastic card, in his wallet. Because you never know when you will need duct tape.

So that's what I did. I wrapped some duct tape around a plastic card, put it in my purse, and took it on our cruise. I used a small amount to take lint off of my black sweater.:)

Silly, huh?:D

Yeah it is lol. Guess I won't bother. So much talk about it, I thought there must be some good use out of it lol..:D

On the fashion board there was a gal who recommended it to use to make a homemade strapless bra, you know with those gowns that it is hard to wear any type of bra with but for gals who don't want to go braless-all I could think to that suggestion is OUCH!!!!!! after all you would have to remove it later, right?

Although I brought duct tape on our first cruise, I don't anymore. However, I do bring a roll of scotch tape to stick notes on the mirror for the Steward or the kids. I also tape the magnetic card that we use for the safe to the bottom side of the desk drawer so we know where it is....and nobody else!

and you think an experienced steward has not seen your hiding place?

On the fashion board there was a gal who recommended it to use to make a homemade strapless bra, you know with those gowns that it is hard to wear any type of bra with but for gals who don't want to go braless-all I could think to that suggestion is OUCH!!!!!! after all you would have to remove it later, right?

Wow. I have seen masking tape used, and in fact it is a staple on fashion shoots. But duck tape? Nothing like losing a bunch of skin.

I ALWAYS carry a SMALL roll of Duct Tape when I travel. Came in real handy one trip when my zipper on my suitcase decided not to close properly! I just duct taped it closed and off I went. Kept me from having to buy a new one while on vacation! You just never know when it will come in handy.

• Administrators
I ALWAYS carry a SMALL roll of Duct Tape when I travel. Came in real handy one trip when my zipper on my suitcase decided not to close properly! I just duct taped it closed and off I went. Kept me from having to buy a new one while on vacation! You just never know when it will come in handy.

I'd never brought duct tape before on a cruise, but I'd read the tip a few places prior to our Hawaii cruise this past summer and happened to see a small roll at the local grocery store (not a honking, Home Depot type roll) for less than $2.00. So I figured, oh what the heck, and tossed it in. During our cruise, when SO's small rolling bag was delivered to the cabin, somehow the plastic handle had been semi-shattered. There were metal rods moving around, sharp pieces of plastic on what was left, etc. Since we didn't know if it had happened at our hotel or on the ship (our luggage was picked up at the hotel for delivery to the ship), plus the luggage itself wasn't a high dollar item, we didn't make some kind of claim or complain. We just fixed it -- with -- tada! The duct tape! SO looked at me like I'd invented paper napkins (a side benefit)! ;)

So I agree with the above -- you never know when it will come in handy!

I'd never brought duct tape before on a cruise, but I'd read the tip a few places prior to our Hawaii cruise this past summer and happened to see a small roll at the local grocery store (not a honking, Home Depot type roll) for less than $2.00. So I figured, oh what the heck, and tossed it in. During our cruise, when SO's small rolling bag was delivered to the cabin, somehow the plastic handle had been semi-shattered. There were metal rods moving around, sharp pieces of plastic on what was left, etc. Since we didn't know if it had happened at our hotel or on the ship (our luggage was picked up at the hotel for delivery to the ship), plus the luggage itself wasn't a high dollar item, we didn't make some kind of claim or complain. We just fixed it -- with -- tada! The duct tape! SO looked at me like I'd invented paper napkins (a side benefit)! ;)

So I agree with the above -- you never know when it will come in handy!

Guess it came in handy for you:D Maybe I will take a small roll lol.....

Travel / camping stores have a 2-pack of small rolls. In September 2007, after we had just boarded, I was putting wine into the cabin fridge and noticed a lot of water in the fridge. To get a good look, I put my eye-glasses on the floor and put my head into the fridge. I then went to get a small towel to mop up the water. Guess what -- I stepped on my glasses and broke the frame. My spare was prescription sun glasses. And as Murphy's Law says, the screw had come off that! It was duct tape to the rescue -- after 6 trips I found an indispensable use! /Sultan

On the fashion board I asked about blisters...and one person responded that boyscouts use duct tape to PREVENT blisters when hiking. And if you can find flesh colored it could work for regular shoes. I just didn't know they even made flesh colored duct tape...and if they do I will definetely get some for putting on my heels.

On the fashion board I asked about blisters...and one person responded that boyscouts use duct tape to PREVENT blisters when hiking. And if you can find flesh colored it could work for regular shoes. I just didn't know they even made flesh colored duct tape...and if they do I will definetely get some for putting on my heels.

Wow, great idea! Now Im taking a roll for sure. Thanks all!:D

We take a roll of duct tape with us every time we cruise. At first we were like this is just in the way. Then ideas and things happened.

1. We take a case of water with us on the ship. We duct tape around the sides to keep the water in. Then we duct tape a piece of paper to the top with our cabin number on it. Haven't lost a bottle of water since.

2. The hem in my dress came loose. (I don't sew.) I used a piece of duct tape for a quick fix.

3. We take an ice chest as one of our pieces of luggage. We use duct tape to securely close the ice chest to and from home. Again using a piece of paper with our cabin number on it tape to top and sides.

4. To remove lint from clothes.

5. We could use it for luggage repair if needed.

There are many other uses that it could be used for. Duct tape is a versitile tool.

We take a roll of duct tape with us every time we cruise. At first we were like this is just in the way. Then ideas and things happened.

1. We take a case of water with us on the ship. We duct tape around the sides to keep the water in. Then we duct tape a piece of paper to the top with our cabin number on it. Haven't lost a bottle of water since.

2. The hem in my dress came loose. (I don't sew.) I used a piece of duct tape for a quick fix.

3. We take an ice chest as one of our pieces of luggage. We use duct tape to securely close the ice chest to and from home. Again using a piece of paper with our cabin number on it tape to top and sides.

4. To remove lint from clothes.

5. We could use it for luggage repair if needed.

There are many other uses that it could be used for. Duct tape is a versitile tool.

Wow, You mean you buy a case of water and you dont have to put it in a piece of luggage. You just tape your info on it? Nice ideas:)

Wow, You mean you buy a case of water and you dont have to put it in a piece of luggage. You just tape your info on it? Nice ideas:)

We do that with soda. Just slap a luggage tag on the 12 pack, it gets to the cabin just fine.

I have read that some people take duct tape on the cruise. I have been on several cruises and I have yet to figure out why? Does anyone know? If so, can you tell me a few ideas? Thanks:D

No self-respecting Southern will ever go anywhere without duct tape and WD40.

Had a very nice 26" suitcase sliced right down the front somewhere from porters at the pier and arrival in cabin on HAL. I had carried a pack of duct tape from an auto center that was folded flat for 14 cruises, never once needing it. Well, that cruise I was so glad I did not take it out but kept it in there as it secured the case for the trip home. I was trashing it when a neighbor teen asked for it. He used it for summer camp 3 times and it went to college with him this fall!! Still has the original duct tape up the front center.

i had a soft-sided bag in jamaica, an hour before the shuttle to the airport...it ripped...all way along the zipper. the shuttle driver and the bellhop ran over to one of the employee's cars and got a roll of duct (that they knew would be there). from then on, i pack the duct tape!!!

Nope, doesn't go in the luggage. I used to do that till I learn this easier way. Also like some one else said you can do it with soda too.

The main reason for doing the water is so the plastic doesn't loosen or tear while being handled.

Archived