Ater Dinner Cordials

kelelmel

Does HAL offer after dinner cordials every evening after dinner? I was introduced to this ritual on RCCL and have come to really enjoy it. Every evening they come around with a tray of cordials (a different one each night) that come in various color glasses that you get to keep (for an exorbitant price, of course). The only other line I have been on is Carnival and they did not offer this. You can always have one made but then you have to make the decision of what drink you would like, I prefer having the decision made for me as I am not that creative. Was wondering if HAL offers this or any other line for that matter?

I have only taken one cruise on Princess cruise lines, and this was one one of the things that put me off this line. Pushing liqueurs in neon colored plastic glasses in the DR after dinner is not my idea of class. The Maitre D` was doing the pushing and he told us he was so embarrassed to have to do it. On HAL, if you want an after dinner liqueur, all you have to do is ask your wine steward....jean :cool:

I really like the cordials. I have a set of those "loving cups" in assorted colors. Purchasing the cup was optional (I think $2.00 less without). I really enjoyed them as most were a Bailey's base with added liquors. Never had I seen someone push them but simply bring the tray around. They have been serving after dinner drinks on various cruiselines since I started sailing in the 1980's.

Can you order an after dinner drink from the wine steward? It would serve the same purpose. No creme de mint.. something special :)

(cute Marc - lol!)

The RCCL cordials were presented as if they were complimentary, which seemed like a really nice touch. Then after we indulged, we found out we had to pay for them. Paying would have been okay, but they could have been a lot more up front about what they were doing.

Same thing happened to us on Princess, Jean. It was so tacky and it annoyed us for the steward to spend 5-10 minutes presenting his "pitch" trying to sell his 'alottment' of cordials which, it seemed, he was expected to get rid of. We were waiting for him to take our dessert and coffee requests.....and he was babbling on about how great the 'collectible' neon glasses were. That was our last Princess cruise and things like that were one of the major reasons we decided to make little effort to ever cruise with them againl.

I think it's a nice touch and I think RCCL does it quite tastefully, never pushy. As a matter of fact sometimes we would have to track the person down to get them, but once they knew we were interested they always asked (not pushed) on future nights. We have previously traveled with friends and/or family and most nights we would all take turns buying rounds for the table and would each make a different toast. Needless to say, I have a couple dozen sets of the 'loving cups', which are quite attractive. They are a bit larger than a shot glass, have an hour glass shape, are glass (not plastic) and come in nice colors (don't recommend putting them in the dishwasher, found that out the hard way).

I realize I can just order a drink after dinner but I am not seasoned in cordials and would have no idea what to order. I tried this on Carnival and just wound up having a glass of port each night after dinner, which is always a great alternative. I suppose I will opt for the port on HAL also. Does anyone know if they have a good selection of port?

Thanks all for your feedback!

Archived