FT Lauderdale - Early flight

vvnh16a

I would doubt that very much. Even though the ship Docks at 7:00, (probably gets into port around 5:00 AM). The ship still has to clear customs, Also no one is allowed off until everyone has cleared thru the Purser. There are always a few people that refuse to answer the repeated calls to come to the pursers office to settle their bill. I have very rarely seen anyone get off before 8:45 and that is with everything going right.

Even thought the airport is only a 10 minute cab ride, I doub't very seriously you will be able to make a 8:50am flight even if you are among the very first off. Port Everglades, even when it is going well, is one of the slowest disembarking ports I've experienced. I would try to change my flight to not earlier than 11am. Good luck.

In June I made a 10:10 flight with no problem, but I was the 3rd person off the ship and still only got to the airport at 9:15. Then there was a holdup at airport security. Personally, I don't think think there's a snowballs chance you'll even be at the airport by 8:50. Besides, why put yourself through that stress? You're coming off a relaxing vacation and then you lose all the benefits of that relaxation by becoming a crazy person trying to make an impossible flight. I say take it a little easier. Make it better for you! Find a later flight! If you can go US Air they will have an agent there who can assist you right on the ship. Just MO!:)

I agree with the others. Those that delay settling accounts and those from other countries having to clear immigration on the ship have hearing problems. Don't forget to allow at least one hour at the airport to clear security.

Unless you have an overwhelming reason to catch an early flight, you are setting yourself up for some bad things.

1. If you miss your flight, there are seldom any courtesies extended any more by the airlines. You will likely be paying some steep penalties.

2. If you miss your flight, you may wind up sitting at the airport all day. Remember, FLL is a small airport and with few flights. Most of the folks on your ship (and others) will have booked all available seats all day.

3. If there is any delay at all by Immigrations and/or customs, you're not going to make it.

4. Your last day on board will be a nightmare as you rush through breakfast and wait impatiently as the arrival formalities are finished.

5. The worst part of all. You'll have the close connection on your mind all week and you'll be constantly thinking about what can happen. Worrying is not a fun activity.

The standard advice is to book a flight leaving anytime from Noon on. That way your last day on board is relaxed, you can have a nice breakfast in the dining room, stroll around the ship one last time, chat with the new friends you've made on the cruise, and get to the airport in a calm, peaceful manner to enjoy your trip home.

I totally agree with everyone else. Don't book a flight this early. In addition to everything else that's already been mentioned, Ft. Lauderdale's security lines are notoriously long, even though they make efforts to get people through with upcoming flights. You need to be at FLL at least 90 minutes before your flight to have a comfort level at all.

There are so many things that affect disembarkation that a flight this early is a very risky proposition.

WV4891 put it best. NO (*&^$#@ WAY. FLL Airport is a zoo on weekends during cruise season. I have a 12:20 PM flight booked in January, and I am not necessarily comfortable. Two years ago, there was a problem with customs on Celebrity Millenium and they did not start debarkation untile 10 AM. We arrived at 11 AM for the next cruise and passengers were still getting off.

We were on the 5/22/2004 cruise on Century. While we had priority for disembarking because we had a Royal Suite, we did not leave the ship until almost 9:30 a.m. The reason being that about four or five cabins did not clear immigration, and the crew had to continiously page these very rude people.

We got to the airport around 10:30 a.m., because we had Celebrity transfer vouchers, and they hold the buses until everyone is accounted for. So much for priority. The airport was a mad house with people sitting and sleeping on the floor. Four or five ships all dumped their pax at the airport all at about the same time. Most of the flights going west departed in the afternoon - such as ours departing at 2:30 p.m. It was a mess!

For our 2/19/2005 cruise on Century, we are staying that Saturday night in Fort Lauderdale, and flying back west, the next morning.

As to your question about your early flight - no way!

I thought I was being optimistic but all the cruisers on this board appear to have a definite opinion on catching a 8:50 flight. May have to revert to plan "B" . I knew travel time to the airport would not be the problem, but customs and security delays are hard to predict these days. As Walt said, missing the flight would be a bad way to end a great trip.

BTW I do have a question if you had an option which would you rather ....Travel from Port Everglades to FLL airport or the Port of Miami to MIA airport??

Rich in N VA

I found the people who work at the Miami airport to be nowhere as friendly or cooperative as the ones at Fr. Lauderdale. Miami has a far greater number of international flights which leads to more security. Finally, the restaurants in the Miami airport are the pits.

If you haven't gathered, I definitely prefer Ft. Lauderdale!

On the other hand, the airlines know how much people hate Miami airport and have priced flights out of it lower than the ones out of Ft. Lauderdale....... :mad:

What hdawson said, in spades! You got some very, very bad advice whoever told you to try an 8:50 flight!

Miami is not a passenger friendly airport. And the Port Everglades/Ft Lauderdale Airport distance is hard to beat, it's practically walkable! I know of no other port/airport that can say that. Stick with that, just make a more reasonable timed flight.

• 1 month later...

Here is one for you. I am planning our Jan Summit trip. The only problem I see is that AA is cutting service here in Colorado Springs. We used to be able to get the 12:10 flight into DFW and then a quick layover into Colorado Springs. Seeing that AA cut flights into COS, I would have to sit in DFW for 4 hours. However, I can catch a 10:07am out of FLL and still make my connection into COS. I know its close. I have made it into FLL by 9:15am. My question is do you think I would be better off doing a 10:07am out of FLL or 11:47 out of MIA. I need to use AA because of free 1st class. One last thing, just off Infinity Alaska and they did have the airlines come aboard like they did years ago, are they doing that now out of FLL on Summit??

FYI, I asked the same question about 10:41 flight and got pretty much the same answers.

There was a reason or two why 12:30 flight FLL - Boston cost $124 vs $79 for 10:41...As we had 3 people in our party we ended up staying in FLL one more day...and it was cheaper that way. ;)

I have made a 10:10 flight out of FLL but with assistance getting through security. It was a fluke that I got off with the first 4 people on Century in June and could get an earlier flight. I was originally booked at noon,

Century had US Air people on board but that was all.

Will be arriving 9:30pm on Jan.1st from New Orleans (visiting family for the holidays) into the FLL airport. Would it be better to stay at a hotel close to the airport and then taxi in to the pier on Sunday morning for our 01/02/05 cruise aboard the Century? If so, any hotel suggestions? Thank in advance!:)

Archived