Passenger Fuel Surcharge Announced...

prescottbob

Ironically, I just posted a thread about the gasoline rise.

That's another $100 cost for DH and myself and possibly $400 more for our group.:rolleyes: Will my sister have to pay $5 per day, $10 per day or get a break on her single cabin?

The fuel supplement of $5 per person per day will be applied to all new and existing bookings for cruises on or after February 1, 2008. For existing reservations, travel agents will receive $10 per booking in administrative compensation for notifying their clients of the new fuel supplement and collecting the additional funds. Carnival Corporation & plc brands will provide additional information on the fuel supplement via their respective Web sites, as well as through various marketing and collateral materials.

BB - If you are reading this, just go ahead and save yourself an email...charge it to our cards! :D

This really offends me and will change my future bookings.

• How does Carnival Corp know what the price of fuel will be in February of next year?

• If the price of fuel goes down will the surcharge go down, or will we be able to expect a refund if it is lower than we booked?

[*]What about the price of food, it seems to fluctuate, should I expect a separate surcharge for that commodity? What about port charges? Labor contracts? The cost of the prime rate on Carnivals loans?

I am going to use my capitalist vote to move my dollars elsewhere.

With the cost of oil continually rising, I'm surprised HAL hasn't had to implement this policy before now. I see they are capping the surcharge at $70 per person per voyage. That helps some.

Sadly, I don't see how it can be avoided. Even my garbage company imposes a fuel surcharge - and they started that 2 years ago. I actually like the fee as a surcharge rather than a price increase - it leaves some hope that it's temporary.

As much as I love finding a bargain, this will not impact my decisions to cruise with HAL.

How does Carnival Corp know what the price of fuel will be in February of next year?[/size]

They don't. But because they don't, they most likely buy fuel FUTURES at various times of year to hedge against possible increases. Of course, this also means they lose some money if prices go down, but at least they are able to manage their accounts better over the long term.

I still don't think it is right to impose new charges AFTER a booking has been made at a certain price. They should change their prices for future bookings only -- and if necessary, they should hedge immediately as bookings come in, so they don't have to get people upset with changes.

The Carnival Corporation (owners of HAL), despite high fuel costs had record net income for the third quarter of 2007...The first nine months of 2007 was also a record...They have recently increased their dividend...They are doing very well...With the new surcharges they will be doing even better.

That's another $100 cost for DH and myself and possibly $400 more for our group.:rolleyes: Will my sister have to pay $5 per day, $10 per day or get a break on her single cabin?..............

:D

Hi, Sea Island Lady:

In the press release which Prescott Bob has kindly brought to our attention, it does say that the fuel supplement will not exceed $70 per person per voyage. This is a relief to me, as I'm planning a 66-day cruise.........:eek:

Karin

Rather than paying each TA $10 for implementing the new fee on existing bookings, why not just say from this point forward any new bookings will incur the fee?

I thought about this too. Some one decided that it was better to charge effective with sail date instead of booking date.

Air carriers do this by ticket purchase date because that is the final point of sail. Cruise bookings are not a final point of sail until final payment date.

The final payment dates ( point of sale) for cruises departing on 2/1 are in November.

Hi, Sea Island Lady:

In the press release which Prescott Bob has kindly brought to our attention, it does say that the fuel supplement will not exceed $70 per person per voyage. This is a relief to me, as I'm planning a 66-day cruise.........:eek:

Karin

It's a relief to me also Karin since I am booked on a 65-day cruise next year. Which reminds me, I will be back in Seattle (overnight) next September 18th. Maybe we can actually get together this time!;)

Valerie:)

It is a for-profit business in a capitalistic society. This is not a non-profit enterprise.

Yes, and in this capitalistic society it is quite appropriate to point out how little or how much a companies profits are, using their own reports...Then each of us can decide for ourseves how much of a surcharge is justified...

this is not a new concept. all modes of transport charge according to projected fuel prices. everyone does it. it is part of the cost of products. even my milk man charges delivery fees based on fuel cost. if they just raised the prices by $70 a person, then no one would be any wiser.

It was bound to happen...So many companies are doing it so it's no surprise to me..Have been told that even United Parcel Service is imposing a fuel surcharge..

Instead of raising the price of the cruise, they think it's better to tack on a fuel surcharge & no one will notice..However, cruise prices have barely kept up with inflation..And they have not significantly increased in the past ten years, as much as other venues have...Our cruises are still a good deal!

Agree with the poster who said that Carnival has already purchased fuel for next year...All their purchases are based on Futures.... Our Airline did the same thing & believe most large companies do it this way..

Thankfully, the max is $70 per voyage as we also book the longer cruises....

Cheers..:) Betty

I think all transportation companies will follow suit. Unfortunately, I've seen this on many utilities and other services. I think that it is better to know what it is upfront than hiding it in an increased cost of the fare. This way we know what it is. $70 max per person/per cruise is really a bargain.;) Hopefully, it will disappear some day (I doubt it!):confused: Maybe the cruise industry will continue its research on environmentally friendlier ships. Like the auto industry going to hybrid, I wonder what that means for cruise ships.

It is an exciting time in the cruise industry IMHO and I look forward to the next generation of ships:D.

Now HAL's exchange rate on the other hand......;)

I was going to say the same thing!;) We paid an 18% surcharge on our last cruise. (TA screwed up and didn't book in CndD).

We pay around $4 per gallon already.

Archived