Audio Books

LynnAB

Jim,

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry. I have been sooooooooooooooooo bad about posting.

Let's see. I'm doing a LOT of reading on my Kindle in between jobs. As far as audio books, I just started Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (a woman's book, I'm sure) in my car. I haven't gotten far into it so I can't comment yet. I got into a cruise reading mode and READ Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk (very good) and Cruise Confidential. I love "insider" type cruise books. I need another cruise <g>. We're HOPING to cruise again in December (fingers crossed).

What are YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU reading/listening to? I read about 10 Spenser books but want something different now.

Thank you for starting this thread back up!!!

HI!!!! Just finished reading Cruise Confidential myself. Thought I would hit the other cruising books as well. I need to look at my list to see what I have read lately. Will do that tomorrow and get back to you. Good luck on th potential cruise, is this the one out of Jersey??? We are cruising August 2nd on the Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach, a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Jim

Jim,

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry. I have been sooooooooooooooooo bad about posting.

Let's see. I'm doing a LOT of reading on my Kindle in between jobs. As far as audio books, I just started Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (a woman's book, I'm sure) in my car. I haven't gotten far into it so I can't comment yet. I got into a cruise reading mode and READ Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk (very good) and Cruise Confidential. I love "insider" type cruise books. I need another cruise <g>. We're HOPING to cruise again in December (fingers crossed).

What are YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU reading/listening to? I read about 10 Spenser books but want something different now.

Thank you for starting this thread back up!!!

Herman Wouk,didn't he write all those books on WW2?

HI!!!! Just finished reading Cruise Confidential myself. Thought I would hit the other cruising books as well. I need to look at my list to see what I have read lately. Will do that tomorrow and get back to you. Good luck on th potential cruise, is this the one out of Jersey??? We are cruising August 2nd on the Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach, a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Jim

I really enjoyed Cruise Confidential. I'm trying to find as many cruise, crusing type vacation stories as possible. If you have any other suggestions, that would be great.

No, we canceled the New Jersey Explorer cruise and cruised on Liberty of the Seas out of Miami again this past May. We just LOVE that ship and the crew ... and we live so close.

Now we're looking a December out of Miami ... hopefully ... but not sure which ship yet.

Herman Wouk,didn't he write all those books on WW2?

Yes ... Winds of War and War and Remembrance are supposed to be very, very good. I have both now for my Kindle but haven't started either. From what I gather, men and women seem to like these books equally, so that's kind of neat.

I started Don't Stop the Carnival a few years ago (based on several recommendations) and didn't get into it at that time. I started again right before our cruise in May and really, really enjoyed it. I love Wouk's writing style! I would definitely recommend checking him out.

Hi guys guess we all got busy, I know I did. As for audio books I just finished two that I really enjoyed, Dog On It by Spencer Quinn and Something Rotten by Jasper FFord. Dog On It is the first in a series with the next book coming out in January, it is a "Chet and Bernie mystery" Chet being a dog and Bernie being a privet detective, the story is told in first person by Chet. As for Something Rotten it isn't the first book in the series I think it is four or five. The first book The Eyre Affair is the first book, I am currently reading that right now. They are sci/fi-fantasy-mystery and very ereverent. The main character is Thursday Next who works for SO 27 the literary branch. I am really enjoying the premiss. As for cruising our next cruise is a back to back on the Carnival Dream in January. It is our 20th anniversary present to ourselves. We should have about 60 people from the MonkeyHeads and Cruise Critic getting together on the first cruise and quite a few on the second. Well I've got to get back to going through the e-mail. More later.:D

Hi guys guess we all got busy, I know I did. As for audio books I just finished two that I really enjoyed, Dog On It by Spencer Quinn and Something Rotten by Jasper FFord. Dog On It is the first in a series with the next book coming out in January, it is a "Chet and Bernie mystery" Chet being a dog and Bernie being a privet detective, the story is told in first person by Chet. As for Something Rotten it isn't the first book in the series I think it is four or five. The first book The Eyre Affair is the first book, I am currently reading that right now. They are sci/fi-fantasy-mystery and very ereverent. The main character is Thursday Next who works for SO 27 the literary branch. I am really enjoying the premiss. As for cruising our next cruise is a back to back on the Carnival Dream in January. It is our 20th anniversary present to ourselves. We should have about 60 people from the MonkeyHeads and Cruise Critic getting together on the first cruise and quite a few on the second. Well I've got to get back to going through the e-mail. More later.:D

Ah I think I may have talked with you about the Monkeyheads over on Cruisecritic. Thanks for the reads, will have to look into them.

Yes ... Winds of War and War and Remembrance are supposed to be very, very good. I have both now for my Kindle but haven't started either. From what I gather, men and women seem to like these books equally, so that's kind of neat.

I started Don't Stop the Carnival a few years ago (based on several recommendations) and didn't get into it at that time. I started again right before our cruise in May and really, really enjoyed it. I love Wouk's writing style! I would definitely recommend checking him out.

I have not read any. I do think I remember watching a TV miniseries on one of those with Robert Michum (among others) some time ago.

Not to totally steal the blog line but watching mini-series like these (and others like Rich Man Poor Man, QB VII, and Roots, really got me interested in reading.

I really enjoyed Cruise Confidential. I'm trying to find as many cruise, crusing type vacation stories as possible. If you have any other suggestions, that would be great.

No, we canceled the New Jersey Explorer cruise and cruised on Liberty of the Seas out of Miami again this past May. We just LOVE that ship and the crew ... and we live so close.

Now we're looking a December out of Miami ... hopefully ... but not sure which ship yet.

Good for you (both cruising and living close). I wonder if there will be an Oasis in your future????? You being such a royal fan. I saw some ideas on cruising (baseline stories anyway) in one of the blogs on here. I will try and find it. There was about 6 I think.

Jim

Ooh .... I want to take a Mexican Riviera cruise someday, too. I just don't feel like flying to California to do it when we live so close to Port of Miami and Port Everglades. Sigh! Last night I was watching the Mexican Riviera cruise on Mariner of the Seas (sister ship to Navigator of the Seas that we have been on twice). I would LOVE to go on the Mariner cruise. Someday. You'll have such a wonderful time. I have never done that itinerary. Have you?

I haven't read anything by Jasper Fforde, but I know which series you're talking about and they sound interesting. I'd appreciate your review of The Eyre Affair. Do you or did you like it (depending on whether you've already finished it)?

I have not read any. I do think I remember watching a TV miniseries on one of those with Robert Michum (among others) some time ago.

Not to totally steal the blog line but watching mini-series like these (and others like Rich Man Poor Man, QB VII, and Roots, really got me interested in reading.

Oh, I loved Rich Man Poor Man years ago (the book, I mean). I wish that was available in ebook format, but so far I haven't found it anywhere. I'd read it again on Kindle.

Good for you (both cruising and living close). I wonder if there will be an Oasis in your future????? You being such a royal fan. I saw some ideas on cruising (baseline stories anyway) in one of the blogs on here. I will try and find it. There was about 6 I think.

Now, Jim, you KNOW I'm salivating over Oasis. I just HAVE to see it someday.

Hi guys!

I am still reading The Eyre Affair and so far I am loving it. I'll have to read Something Rotten again when I get to that point of the series.

We have done the Mexican Riviera three times once with the kids, once when we were supposed be on a different itinerary but got side tracked by a hurricane, and once again with the kids. But we haven't done it on the Splendor. My suggestion for Mazatlan is the Tequila Factory and Old Town Tour, this is the best tour I have ever been on, and not just because you get to taste a lot of tequila!!

Where are you staying when to get to So. Cal?

Hi guys!

I am still reading The Eyre Affair and so far I am loving it. I'll have to read Something Rotten again when I get to that point of the series.

We have done the Mexican Riviera three times once with the kids, once when we were supposed be on a different itinerary but got side tracked by a hurricane, and once again with the kids. But we haven't done it on the Splendor. My suggestion for Mazatlan is the Tequila Factory and Old Town Tour, this is the best tour I have ever been on, and not just because you get to taste a lot of tequila!!

Where are you staying when to get to So. Cal?

We are staying on the Queen Mary. Right next to where the Splendor will dock and wanted something for the group a little different than a regular ole hotel room. I know it is dated (70 to 80 years worth) but thought what the heck. Good info on the Mazatlan tour.

Now, Jim, you KNOW I'm salivating over Oasis. I just HAVE to see it someday.

I BET, one of our daughters is booked on her for early next spring. So PRICEY tho. We are trying to get on her as a TA at least a walk through when in port. If we do I will be happy to send you the pics.

Ooh .... I want to take a Mexican Riviera cruise someday, too. I just don't feel like flying to California to do it when we live so close to Port of Miami and Port Everglades. Sigh! Last night I was watching the Mexican Riviera cruise on Mariner of the Seas (sister ship to Navigator of the Seas that we have been on twice). I would LOVE to go on the Mariner cruise. Someday. You'll have such a wonderful time. I have never done that itinerary. Have you?

We actually did the same Itin 4 years ago. It was just two couples that time, group this time. As much as for the ship as the Itin.

Oh, I loved Rich Man Poor Man years ago (the book, I mean). I wish that was available in ebook format, but so far I haven't found it anywhere. I'd read it again on Kindle.

It was a great mini series as well. Just loved Nick Nolte and Peter Coyote in it.

It was a great mini series as well. Just loved Nick Nolte and Peter Coyote in it.

I bet I would love that. I'll have to check and see if it's available on DVD ... probably not, but I'll check.

I bet I would love that. I'll have to check and see if it's available on DVD ... probably not, but I'll check.

It is out on DVD, just checked on IMDB. Boy did I screw up the actors though, it was Peter Strauss, not Peter Coyote. Also starred Ed Asner (as their father) and Susan Blakely (whom I had a crush on as a result of the mini-series), and directed by Bill Bixby (the Hulk and and the courtship of Eddies father etc.).

It is out on DVD, just checked on IMDB. Boy did I screw up the actors though, it was Peter Strauss, not Peter Coyote. Also starred Ed Asner (as their father) and Susan Blakely (whom I had a crush on as a result of the mini-series), and directed by Bill Bixby (the Hulk and and the courtship of Eddies father etc.).

Hmmmm. Maybe I can pick that up one of these days, by the way.

As far as audio books, I just started listening to For One More Day by Mitch Albom. We'll see how I hold up through this one. You know how I am <g>.

Hmmmm. Maybe I can pick that up one of these days, by the way.

As far as audio books, I just started listening to For One More Day by Mitch Albom. We'll see how I hold up through this one. You know how I am <g>.

Not his best, IMHO but I did enjoy it. I would say it would near the edge knowing your likes or more appropriately dis-likes.

Listened to another book by Sue Miller. Had previously listened to The Senator's Wife and Lost in the Forrest. Just finished While I was Gone and think it is her best. All read by Blair Brown who I think is superb. Would recommend all three.

You will love the Queen Mary!! We stayed there years ago and loved it. I hear that check-in is easier if you stay the night at the Queen Mary.

Yes, I think so in regards to check in. They actually used to do in on the Queen Mary herself but I thin it is now moved to the bubble where they used to have the Spruce Goose. We do so enjoy flying in the night before a cruise and instead of staying in just a hotel room, it will be unique at the very least to stay on the Queen.