Audio Books

LynnAB

I wondered about whether or now audiobook lovers were readers. I guess I never really tried because I only drive 10 minutes to work (hate the car so long car rides never happen) and usually listen to music when doing house work etc.

I'm going to give it a try. Any suggestions for a first timer? Should I listen to a book I love (like Harry Potter) or something entirely new?

I would go for something new to hold your interest.

I wondered about whether or now audiobook lovers were readers. I guess I never really tried because I only drive 10 minutes to work (hate the car so long car rides never happen) and usually listen to music when doing house work etc.

I'm going to give it a try. Any suggestions for a first timer? Should I listen to a book I love (like Harry Potter) or something entirely new?

I agree with Jim ... something new to keep you going. My only caveat is: If you don't like the narrator, don't force yourself to listen to the book. Narrators definitely make or break the experience for me. On the plus side, there are a LOT of wonderful, wonderful narrators.

If you tell us what types of books you like, we might even have some suggestions of particularly good books/good narrators.

I agree with Jim ... something new to keep you going. My only caveat is: If you don't like the narrator, don't force yourself to listen to the book. Narrators definitely make or break the experience for me. On the plus side, there are a LOT of wonderful, wonderful narrators.

If you tell us what types of books you like, we might even have some suggestions of particularly good books/good narrators.

Lynn makes an excellent point (and we have discussed it here as well). Narrator's can really add or detract to the the read (or should I say listen) of the book. We all have our fav's that we can impart on you, if you would like.

Sometimes being well-educated doesn't solve all problems!! :)

I am very fortunate to be able to download books from NY Public Library. They are downloaded using OverDrive and happily sit in the Media, Overdrive file. My problem is....I want to listen to them on my iPod. I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm doing (hence the lack of education in technical matters). I feel like I should find a teenager to help me out!!!!!

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to make my audio books come out of their happy little home in Overdrive and on to my iPod?

Thank you...thank you...thank you. (30 days until my first cruise, so I have time to play with it)

Sometimes being well-educated doesn't solve all problems!! :)

I am very fortunate to be able to download books from NY Public Library. They are downloaded using OverDrive and happily sit in the Media, Overdrive file. My problem is....I want to listen to them on my iPod. I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm doing (hence the lack of education in technical matters). I feel like I should find a teenager to help me out!!!!!

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to make my audio books come out of their happy little home in Overdrive and on to my iPod?

Thank you...thank you...thank you. (30 days until my first cruise, so I have time to play with it)

Don't remember seeing you here before, welcome (if you have been here sorry). I can't give you any help here I am sorry to say. I download from our library as well. Never gotten Overdrive to work with IPOD, only on a MP3 player. I also use Netlibrary, which does have some (not all) audio books that can play on IPOD's. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Thank you for the welcome. I wander around CruiseCritic a lot, but usually maintain a "low profile." I would hate to come off sounding like the new kid on the block in the midst of true cruising gurus. You all sound like a really great group!

My favorite audiobook???? The Harry Potter series. I love the narrator, who does an excellent job of consistency in the many voices even across the various volumes.

Thank you for the welcome. I wander around CruiseCritic a lot, but usually maintain a "low profile." I would hate to come off sounding like the new kid on the block in the midst of true cruising gurus. You all sound like a really great group!

My favorite audiobook???? The Harry Potter series. I love the narrator, who does an excellent job of consistency in the many voices even across the various volumes.

I think you will find some Harry Potter fans here. I have never gotten into those myself but it may be my loss. We also spend a fair amount of time discussing narrators such as Michael Beck, Frank Muller, George Guidall, Richard Ferone, C.J. Critt, Blair Brown....I do go on.

Don't worry about what you sound like, we are all friends here (sometimes in some other blogs it gets a little strained but not here). Ask and comment away!! Feel free to discuss your cruises, what you have done or wish to do.

Jim

As usual, I agree with Jim. Jump in ANYTIME!!! Really!!!

I haven't listened to the Harry Potter books ... yet. Someday! Every review of the audiobooks is fantastic. Is that where Jim Dale is the narrator?

Jim Dale's interpretation is really wonderful. You can determine who's speaking just by the "voice" that he's using. Each voice is unique. It makes listening so much easier.

My other favorite authors are Fern Michaels, Diane Mott Davidson, Maeve Binchey, and some others. They're all female type non-fiction, but I tend to want to just read/listen to light and airy (where I don't have to think). Too much of the day is spent thinking....to relax I go on strike and refuse to think!

Next most favorite thing to do....listening to old time radio on my iPod. Great Gildersleeve, Fibber McGee & Molly, Halls of Ivy, Lux Radio Theatre, and on and on.

Jim Dale's interpretation is really wonderful. You can determine who's speaking just by the "voice" that he's using. Each voice is unique. It makes listening so much easier.

My other favorite authors are Fern Michaels, Diane Mott Davidson, Maeve Binchey, and some others. They're all female type non-fiction, but I tend to want to just read/listen to light and airy (where I don't have to think). Too much of the day is spent thinking....to relax I go on strike and refuse to think!

Next most favorite thing to do....listening to old time radio on my iPod. Great Gildersleeve, Fibber McGee & Molly, Halls of Ivy, Lux Radio Theatre, and on and on.

I have seen some of these at the library as well. Have not checked them out yet though.

We definitely like the same types of books. I've frustrated because I want to listen to Fern Michaels' trilogies ... Vegas, Texas ... and they're not on Kindle yet! Darn!

I like Maeve Binchy a lot, too, and just bought Scarlet Feather for my Kindle. Have you read it?

We definitely like the same types of books. I've frustrated because I want to listen to Fern Michaels' trilogies ... Vegas, Texas ... and they're not on Kindle yet! Darn!

I like Maeve Binchy a lot, too, and just bought Scarlet Feather for my Kindle. Have you read it?

I've never been disappointed in any of hers, except maybe one which was a compilation of short stories. That was like eating one pistachio nut -- definitely want MORE.

I enjoy the way the characters remain steady and it's like following someone's whole life. Have read Scarlet Feather but it's been awhile and now you have wanting to start her books again!!! Thank you.

About 3/4 the way through Beach Music. Very good book with some interesting twists and turns. Would not be surprised to see it being made into a movie some day.

Oh, I am sooooooooo far behind you. It's not for lack of enjoying the book. I've just been overwhelmed with work lately (which is a good thing in some ways, of course). I haven't had much listening time. Next week is looking like a lighter work week, so hopefully I'll be able to calm down and pamper myself a bit.

Oh, I am sooooooooo far behind you. It's not for lack of enjoying the book. I've just been overwhelmed with work lately (which is a good thing in some ways, of course). I haven't had much listening time. Next week is looking like a lighter work week, so hopefully I'll be able to calm down and pamper myself a bit.

OK..........I'll wait, but want to discuss further when you are ready.

OK..........I'll wait, but want to discuss further when you are ready.

Me, too ... but I'm only in Rome ... where Jordan was spotted by the private investigator.

I have one quick question: At this point in the book am I supposed to know why Jordan is on the run? I heard one WORD, but I don't really know what happened. Did I miss something, or is it going to be revealed later?

Me, too ... but I'm only in Rome ... where Jordan was spotted by the private investigator.

I have one quick question: At this point in the book am I supposed to know why Jordan is on the run? I heard one WORD, but I don't really know what happened. Did I miss something, or is it going to be revealed later?

I have seen other things revealed later on but not that yet. No, you did not miss anything.

BTW congrats on the 3,000th post. As usual, I am in awe of a "blue Ribbon Cruiser"

Wait a second! "Blue Ribbon Cruiser" is a new addition for me????? Now I'm really impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I probably never would have noticed that if it weren't for you. THANK YOU!!!!

I have seen other things revealed later on but not that yet. No, you did not miss anything.

I feel sooooooooooo much better. I really felt like I was missing a huge piece of the puzzle on my way to work yesterday.

I have about two hours left of listening. Very interesting and there were some twists and turns that I was not expecting. Let me know where you are at.

Soooooo funny. I was just signing on my computer to let you know where I'm at <g>. I'm at the end of Disc 7, where Max has come to America (South Carolina) and meets Silas McCall. I just finished the whole thing with Max as the butcher's apprentice (ugh!) and pretty much got banished because of the Singers.

Since yesterday I've been listening a lot more.

Soooooo funny. I was just signing on my computer to let you know where I'm at <g>. I'm at the end of Disc 7, where Max has come to America (South Carolina) and meets Silas McCall. I just finished the whole thing with Max as the butcher's apprentice (ugh!) and pretty much got banished because of the Singers.

Since yesterday I've been listening a lot more.

I guess you have been listening more. I did think of you during this part and there is another upcoming section which is graphic as well (has to do with George). Great book, could easily see this being made to a movie. They will answer your question in regards to Jordan and what happened him as well. Good stuff coming up!!!

I guess you have been listening more. I did think of you during this part and there is another upcoming section which is graphic as well (has to do with George). Great book, could easily see this being made to a movie. They will answer your question in regards to Jordan and what happened him as well. Good stuff coming up!!!

What an author!!! Conroy amazes me with his storytelling.

I am on Disc 11. So much is happening. I'm past the shooting in the Rome airport. Wow, that was wild.

I'm listening whenever I can now because I have to hear what's going to happen next.

George? I don't "know" George yet, do I?