river cruises that include wine with dinner

nbevins

I have no idea, but on my two river cruises I certainly had wine with lunch and dinner.

Aboard the RV Pandaw while cruising 750km along the Mekong I had the choice of some excellent French, Californian and Australian wines.

Aboard thge RV Sukapha while cruising the Brahmaputra I has less than average Indian wines (choice of red or white, and all from the same winery) because the import duty on foreign wines made them prohibitively expensive.

My first experience of this was not on a cruise, but at the Oberoi Hotel in Bali where a very average Australian wine - Jacobs Creek - which I could buy back home for about $6-50AUS was $120US!

We were on Amadeus Waterways "Amadagio" from Amsterdam to Budapest and went through so many bottles of really good wine that I lost count. They were very generous with their wine. We go next time to Russia.

Buck

On both our Viking cruises, wine had to be purchased separately. Buying wine ashore was an adventure but corkage at 10 euros per bottle (around 15 US dollars) was expensive in our view.

Anybody know the position on Peter Deilmann boats (our 2008 cruise)?

we have been on two European river cruises with Amadeua Waterways and there was free wine and beer at each dinner - as much as one wanted - no limit at all. Both cruises were memorable events and we liked it so much that we are booked again for 2008.

Gate 1 serves complimentary wine and beer at dinner only. After dinner someone from the bar comes to each table with a selection of 2 0r 3 after dinner drinks. But know that if you take them up on their offer they have you sign a charge to your cabin. It isn't made clear that there is a charge for this when the offer is first made.

Our Danube River cruise on Deilmann's Mozart did NOT include wine with any meal. At the captain's receptions, they did provide free wine, lots of it, and a few hors d'ouvres but not enough to balance the wine :rolleyes: .

They had a few wine stewards around at mealtime. They brought the wine and other drinks, including sodas, which were not free either.

S

• 1 month later...

Neither Viking nor Deilmann provide free wine. In fact both charged us for any soft drinks as well, and for coffee if we had it in the lounge outside of certain times. The prices were no more than one would expect to pay in an average hotel or restaurant and the selection was somewhat limited, naturally, because the boats are small.

Archived