St. Barts info?

eandj

St. Barts is without question my favorite island in the Caribbean. It is also easily the one which has the highest concentration of super-wealth, which makes for some quite nice coffee shops and dining options. This is probably the only island in the Caribbean where three and four star dining options litter the landscape. If you are a "foodie," you'll love Gustavia (the main, yet quite small village-like city). It is unlike any other island in the area.

Instead of walking down street filled with run down architecture, you'll find that St. Barts feels as if someone took a French village and plopped it down in the middle of the Caribbean.

That all being said, it is also THE most expensive island in the Caribbean. A decent hotel (three stars) will run you at least $300 US/night. Two cappuccinos will easily cost you $15 US. A nice three course dinner at one of the gourmet restaurants will run you close to $250 US.

In my opinion, it is all worth every penny. St. Barts is a gem -- enjoy it!

We loved St Bart's. Got a rental car (made arrangements beforehand and they were waiting for us at our tender in spot) and covered the whole island, and what fun we had looking at the beautiful homes and the glorious beaches. I would suggest trying to get out by the airport and watch a plane land - it's worth the whole trip. What a scary ride that must be! Lunch at the Karl Gustaf Hotel simply delicious. Of course we were there on a Sunday and lots of shops in Gustavia were closed...we read they were going to be that's why we got the rental. The wealth is evident by the lack of pretentious people. When you really got it, you don't have to flaunt it. It's our favorite of the islands, as well.

Thanks for your suggestions re St. Barts. It will be our first there too. Looking at the excursions offered by O., we really want to do something on our own. More than just an hour tour.

Will there be offerings by tour companies when we arrive at port? I like the idea of covering a lot of the island, but not sure if we want to rent a car and do it ourselves. If there is any other info you can offer, I'll be reading and researching these boards/threads.

We have been to St. Barts 6 or 7 times, never on a cruise though. Landing in a tiny plane in St. Barts is a heart stopping experience.

I would recommend renting a car. The island is very small and you can easily see most of it yourself. Bear in mind that is is very hilly and the roads are quite narrow so driving is not for the faint of heart! Get an automatic rather than a manual shift. St. Barts, like most wonderful places, has changed over the years and is much more built up and crowded than it was 20 years ago. It remains a unique island, however. Some beaches are topless or on occasion nude. You will find lots of information on Trip Advisor. Rent a car, pack a lunch and a towel and head for one of the gorgeous beaches. Or eat lunch in one of the hotels and use their facilities. You will have a fabulous time!

The 2 things I enjoyed most in St. Barts was the snorkel trip to the "island of the dogs" and exploring the shops on the streets by the harbor. One place you don't want to miss is "Le Select". Its the home of the original "Cheeseburger in Paradise" made famous by Jimmy Buffet. Ask anyone where it is and they will direct you. It has a nice courtyard where you get a beautiful view of the shops & harbor.

Thanks for all the input. Will happily accept other opinions and ideas. My husband is a beach guy and is thinking St. Jean Beach or Saline. I know St. Jean will be busier. opinions? Guess we like the idea of walking the streets and maybe enjoying a beverage at an outside restaurant/bar too.

All the beaches are beautiful but I would recommend Saline, probably fewer people. You need to park and then walk a bit, up a hilly path. Have fun.

If we rent a car, and have to pick it up at the airport, do you have any idea what cab fare is to the airport from the cruise port?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Glad to read more info re St. Barts. I found the answer to my earlier ? re cab fare. We can pick up a rental at the airport by cabbing it there for about 10euros...approx. $30.

It will give us more freedom to "stop and smell the roses" rather than doing a tour.

I am REALLY looking forward to this stop. From what I read, it is great .

We are going in Jan. When are you going to be there LHT28?

The company we rented our car from brought it right to the dock, was waiting for us with our name on a sign, as we tendered in. When we were done for the day, we simply re-parked the car in the lot right there, they had us lock the keys in it, we walked down and got back on the tender to the ship.

The company we rented our car from brought it right to the dock, was waiting for us with our name on a sign, as we tendered in. When we were done for the day, we simply re-parked the car in the lot right there, they had us lock the keys in it, we walked down and got back on the tender to the ship.

Thanks for that info. Sounds VERY convenient. Do you remember the name of the agency and the cost? Thinking even if it's a bit more than Budget or one of the other airport agencies, it will make up for the cost of the cab trip to the airport and that inconvenience.

we are doing the Mar 10th cruise so hope you report here when you come back!! ;)

Lyn

Oh yes, I will. I don't read much about Oceania's Carib cruises and I'm sure there will be others that will appreciate "hints". It's our first O cruise. This is kind of a trial cruise for us to see if we like the atmosphere, food, service etc. before commiting to a longer Med cruise.

Not sure we're supposed to post any agency, etc., in this forum, but send me an email and I'll be glad to send you the email info I have on the person/agency we used. Very nice young man. Bear in mind that when the other poster said the roads are narrow, that's putting it mildly. Up hills and around turns that reminded me of the "Road to Hana" on Maui.

Often times you just have to pull over and stop and let someone drive past, and they do the same for you. The roads appear to be about as wide as a nice bicycle trail, then the cars are quite small, too. But, oh it was a fun day.

jrmosieratatlanticbbdotnet

Archived