First Timer - Which Deck/Cabin-Carnival Victory?

owrp

Some women friends and I are planning a 4 day cruise on Carnival Victory to Canada in the summer.

We are choosing between OceanView cabins on Riviera Deck (6A) or Balcony Cabins on Empress Deck (8B).

The plusses to the OV/Riviera are:

$100 less expensive

I've heard lower deck=less motion sickness

More interior cabin space

Plusses to Balcony/Empress are:

Balconies are nice (especially for morning if one person sleeps later than the other)

More window light in room

Less stairs/elevators to get places from the Empress deck than from the Riviera deck (?).

Which would you choose?

Thanks!

I'd be less concerned with a balcony on a 4 day cruise. Depending on when in the summer you are sailing, it may not be great "hanging out on the balcony" type weather going up the east coast. How many of you in a cabin? The o/v's aren't a lot bigger than a balcony cabin. If you are going 2 to a room, I think you'll be fine with the space in either. Empress deck is a good location. 2 up or 2 down from the 2 main decks you will visit during the cruise. Amount of light isn't something I would be concerned with. The picture windows let in plenty of light.

$100 dollar difference between a balcony on the empress or a window cabin on the Riveria??

Take the balcony. (i dont know where an oceanview cabin has more cabin space compared to a balcony) with a balcony you have somewhere to retreat to while the other person is getting ready for dinner.

Am I reading something incorrectly? I understand the interior part of the Riviera OceanView to be 220 sq. ft. and the interior of the Empress Balcony Cabin to be 185 sq. ft. (Total space is the same but OV interior is more spacious). Is this true?

Thanks for your feedback. Any other thoughts?

How true is it that the Riviera deck would be less movement? Since I've never cruised before, I don't know if the motion will affect me, but it is a concern.

I have heard that some O/V cabins have the same space inside the cabin as the balcony cabins have including the balcony space. Can't say for sure which ones do or don't. I wouldn't say there will be a lot of difference for movement between those 2 decks. Personally, and this differs from person to person, I think it matters less how high you are compared to where you are front to back. You will get more motion near the front than anywhere else, no matter which deck you are on.

Actually its mid deck that has the least motion, front OR aft has more. We were on deck 2 last cruise in the very front and got to being ready for all that motion to end lol. Very far front you will feel it if it gets rough. Think of a teter toter, the fulcum in the middle and both ends moving the most.

Yes, lower down also should have less motion.

I think balconys with be fun on a cruise with girlfriends to sit out on. With my sister we just get the OVs. She isnt one to want to sit out much.

Those 6Es are fun, 230 s.f. but you usually have to book 4 to the cabin to get them. They are on spa deck close to the pool and the buffet and have floor to ceiling windows. Im guessing the Victory is a Conquest class ship and would have the 6Es. Too bad you are not a past guest to get a free upgrade.

Am I reading something incorrectly? I understand the interior part of the Riviera OceanView to be 220 sq. ft. and the interior of the Empress Balcony Cabin to be 185 sq. ft. (Total space is the same but OV interior is more spacious). Is this true?.

Sometimes those 6E's costs more then a balcony guarantee. they are located on the spa deck. which sometimes will feel a little sway-depending on the waters.

compared to an inside cabin the oceanview cabins are a little bit bigger. Oceanview rooms use the space for a sofa.

You are looking in terms of sq footage but remember in that sq footage a lot of furniture is in place. A closet, a vanity, a sofa, 2 beds so basically what you have is the floor in front of the vanity. and the floor to get to the window/balcony door.

I have done inside. oceanview and balconies. I do not see any difference between an ocean view and a balcony cabin.

oceanview cabin

15744902TdoSNoDKpp_th.jpg

notice the box up in the ceiling --thats the upper bed that gets pulled out at night

15744891pzHJhNDzif_th.jpg

balcony

283577025xCvlQF_th.jpg

use www.cruiseclues.com and scroll down to the Carnival Victory- in there you will see tons of photos of different cabins.

Victory is part of the Destiny class, not Conquest, although the Victory and Triumph have a different spa deck configuration. We stayed in a 6E on Victory and would take that cabin again in a heartbeat. I think our kids would rather sleep on the floor under that sloped window than in beds LOL.

Teeter totter is not the best way to describe a ship's motion. The hull is designed so the bow rides up and down, breaking the waves. In heavy seas the bow moves many feet up and down in relation to the surface of the water, while the stern stays more constant. Since the ship isn't sitting on a solid object like a teeter totter, the stern doesn't have to pitch down 20 feet if the bow comes up 20 feet. I'm not saying you don't feel movement back there, but my aft cabins have been a lot more comfortable than the forward ones.

Archived