My Article on Packing for a Cruise

bamakathy

Thank you. It's a great article.

I'll never forget tyring to find our suitcases at the end of our first cruise. Three black suitcases... Hummm... There were a million that looked the same. Now I use a big tag or bow or yarn on the suitcase to make it stand out. The brighter, the bolder, the "crazier" the better!

LK

Thank so much for the tips. I know I have probably overpacked. Just could not resist, since this is my first cruise. Had a question about the shorts. I read that you could wear shorts in the dining rooms during the day, just not at night. Is that correct?

speaking of water on the cruise...is it just me or is it nasty? i mean in the dining room it is fine, but from other places it was terrible tasting. this was on the fantasy. i was forced to pay the ridiculous $4 for the large bottle of water in our room. i was planning on bringing my own this time, but i drink a lot or water & can't bring enough for 7 days. has anyone else had a similar experience? maybe the water will be better on the legend!

speaking of water on the cruise...is it just me or is it nasty? i mean in the dining room it is fine, but from other places it was terrible tasting. this was on the fantasy. i was forced to pay the ridiculous $4 for the large bottle of water in our room. i was planning on bringing my own this time, but i drink a lot or water & can't bring enough for 7 days. has anyone else had a similar experience? maybe the water will be better on the legend!

I think that water is pretty good from their tap and I ALWAYS drink water during meals since I don't drink soda at all and don't drink alcohol while eating. Maybe it just tastes different to you because you're drinking from a plastic cup instead of a glass. It all comes from the same source I'm sure.

Read your article and it hit home.

Boy did we overpack on our last cruise.

We realize we didn't have to take 5 bathing suits, 2 are more than enough.

And shoes, sneakers on your feet, and one in the suitcase, one pair of dress shoes, and one pair of water shoes.

hopefully this time I will get it down to 3 suitcases weighing less than 5- pounds each.

Thanks again

I travel with a portable water filter - it stays in my suitcase when

I'm at home so I never forget it. It's about the size of a large mug - made by NSA, purchased on eBay. I take 5-6 bottles of water packed in a baggie in the bottom of my suitcase - then I refill them with water I filter from the bathroom tap. I travel all over the coutnry for business, and some water tastes nastier than others - this way I'm always prepared.

what a great idea, kim! thanks for the information! i don't think it's just in my head that the water tastes different....somehow i think it is different in the dining room. i do hope it is better on the legend! but i am going to look on ebay right now for one of those! thanks!

Good article, but I have a couple of comments...

I don't really like the idea of spreading the word that Carnival cruisers don't really need to dress up for formal night. Carnival isn't THAT casual. But I'm one of those "formal night means formal" advocates. I don't really want to see women in their hideous crocs on formal night. I'd like to see more "public" articles encourging people to dress well on those nights. :)

I also really dislike the idea of people bringing a water bottle then refilling it at the buffet. I mean, they've just had that in their mouth. The thought that they then walk up and stick the mouth of the water bottle against the nozzle is pretty disgusting.

Anyway, some good suggestions there. I know I always overpack, but I'm going on my 1st 7-nighter in my past 3 cruises and I just don't know how I'm going to get all those clothes packed (2 formal nights rather than 1; 2 more days plus a pre-cruise travel day). I'm worried that if I try to pack too lightly, I'll run out. But that's why they have laundry rooms!

Besides, I don't even know if last year's cruise clothes still fit! I may end up wearing 2 outfits over and over and over. :p

Archived