Best hotels in Galveston?

Perini3

This post will probably be moved soon to the homeports/gulf coast forums. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

A lot of info there. Personally, I stayed at the Harbor House which is just a block or so from the terminal. (Harbor House is actually the hotel that the web cam is on.) Left the car there for free during cruise -- I had walked over after the cruise and picked the car up and returned for Mom while others were still waiting for the shuttle. I also enjoyed the hotel, especially getting up early and seening the Ecstasy cruising in from behind the hotel.

I have cruised 5 times from Galveston and I stay at the Holiday Inn on Seawall. It has room service, a restaurant, nice rooms and a great view, if you pay extra, of the ocean. They have a special parking lot for your car and free shuttle to and from the dock! It is a great place to stay for one night because I always drive in the day before my cruise leaves. If you do stay here, be sure when you check in that you immediately sign up for a time to be taken to the dock. Our first stay, i didn't know that, and it was a mad dash to the ship at 2pm because that was the only time they had left!! However, that was our first cruise and we have learned a lot since then!!:D :o :D

I got my daughter and her new husband a room at the Grace Manor Bed and Breakfast in Galveston. It's on Post Office St. and the Strand is within walking distance. The room was gorgeous with a nice balcony overlooking the garden in back. Breakfast was fantastic in the morning she said. Mimosas, quiche, meats, pastries, fresh fruits, etc, and even a chocolate whiskey cake for dessert.

She said the house was beautiful and Barbara was a most gracious host. She said that they were very spoiled while they were there and it was a highlight on their honeymoon. They spent the night before their Conquest cruise there and free secure parking down by the pier is provided for the week. So, no shuttle is necessary and it may be easier to leave their parking than the pier's parking areas.

Grace Manor's website is www.gracemanor-galveston.com

The Hilton is a great choice. We stayed there last December and they had free cruise parking and a free shuttle to the pier.The morning of the cruise, they called our room and told us our ship was arriving two hours late due to a bad storm, and they told us to relax in our room and they would call us when it was time to go to the pier. After the cruise, the shuttle picked us up within 15 minutes and dropped us off next to our car. It couldn't have been any easier. We are staying there again before our cruise next month.

• 3 weeks later...

We decided to stay at this hotel due to the price and the free cruise parking. We booked the hotel through Galveston.com for $69.99 plus tax with free cruise parking. The total bill was $80.34 so we were very happy with this price.

The hotel is located about 10 minutes from the terminal and is one block from the beach. I would rate this hotel just under a Holiday Inn or a Days Inn. We requested a 1st floor and received the room on the 1st floor. It was a handicapped room which meant it was larger than most. The bathroom was huge but the bathtub was small. I would stay here again for the cruise, but if I had to stay here for more than one night or if I could get a Holiday Inn to match this place, I would not stay here again.

There is a grocery store across the street just in case you forget anything and plenty of food around the hotel. The breakfast at the hotel consisted of a danish and coffee. We decided to go get breakfast at Mcdonalds which was only 30 seconds away.

The taxi was $13.00 going to the terminal and $12.00 on the way home.

The hotel is nice enough for a one night stay for the cruise and I believe this is the cheapest hotel in Galveston with free cruise parking. The area was safe and our vehicle was parked directly in front of the hotel lobby.

Here are some pictures of the hotel.

1001696yr3.jpg

1001698vt5.jpg

1001701ir8.jpg

1001703jh9.jpg

1001704yh2.jpg

Just read your review. I've been looking for hours trying to find something reasonable in Galveston. Can you tell me how long ago you stayed there? Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks so much! This is our first cruise out of Houston.

This was actually our second stay here, and now I am wondering WHAT was I thinking! I didnt sleep much at all. (no exaggaration)

As far as room size goes it is great!

BUT I could never stay here again. They have inside the room A/C units that go off and on all night and it was soooo loud it kept me up all night. :( When it would turn off I would doze off only to be woken back up each and everytime the thing came on.

Around 4 am, I finally turned the entire thing off and slept on top of the blanket as it got warm/humid quickly in the room, but I had to get a few hours of sleep.

I know noise doesnt bother everyone, but wanted to give a head's up to anyone that it might.

I can still answer any questions you might have regarding other aspects of the hotel. It is a nice place, the food is good, it has a good location, the shuttle worked out perfect, but next time we are headed to the San Luis.

We stayed here last week (Dec. 1st) prior to our Conquest cruise 12/2. We did not notice anything by the way of noise from our A/C unit. Maybe you should have contacted the front desk? We had a great stay here @ the Hilton and would not hestitate to stay here again. Beautiful property!

I've stayed at the Hilton before and didn't notice the A/C, but I have had that experience at other hotels when the A/C cut on and off all night long and kept me awake. I started taking earplugs with me when I travel. They have saved me many sleepless nights. Of course, another glass of wine probably wouldn't hurt either! ;)

We've rotated between Harbor House and Hotel Galvez. Galvez is Wyndham so if you are a "member" you will get points and perks. Harbor House guests have access to the pool at the Galvez. Galvez is adding on a spa that should be ready soon - first it was June 07, then December 07, last I saw was early 2008. Sigh.... The pool at Galvez is great - although it is apparently closed for renovations until January. Harbor House has no restaurant of any kind although you are walking distance to all kinds of places. Galvez has a restaurant on site and is on the Seawall. Shuttle to the port is nice along with covered, protected parking for $20 for the cruise week. You can sign up for the shuttle in advance so you will have a time reserved. Don't plan on using the shuttle to go back after the cruise though or you will wait a very long time. After a few tries, we will do a cab back from now on. It's not worth the 45 minutes of hassle to wait. We go down 2 nights early so the cost is fine for us but I can see others choosing more of a budget hotel for a simple place to sleep the night before.

Archived