New to solo - where do I start?

stunned

I have never cruised solo, but DH says he is cruised out and I really want to try it on my own. But, I am unsure how to go about this.

Are there special rates for cruising solo, or do you pay double?

Is one cruiseline more supportive over the others?

Any other important info I need to know?

Thanks for all your info you share, I really find these boards so helpful.

There are so many different lines, I think the thing you have to do first is decide where you want to go, and in what kind of style.

Large lines like Holland America or Princess will have more options for activities on board. I prefer the smaller ships of Seabourn because they have only 208 passengers, max, and cater to single women travelers. They always issue an invitation to a hosted table at dinner for a solo traveler. You don't have to accept of course, but I like this kind of hospitality!

Seabourn has generous single supplements. Other lines may not. If you book far enough in advance, you can snag a 125% supplement on Seabourn for run-of-ship, which means, you take whatever cabin is available usually a week or so before you sail. Not to worry; Seabourn's cabins are huge, and all outside!

I think you need to make a list of what is important to you and what you can live without. Then cruise the CruiseCritic boards for each line and see what everyone has to say about them!

Good luck to you!

Jane

Like Jane, I prefer the smaller ships. I've done Seabourn and Crystal as a solo along with Celebrity and I feel the smaller ships tend to be a little more solo friendly. With Crystal, they have a lower single supplement than most other lines, starting at 125%. The mass market lines usually charge 200% unless you book an inside cabin on Carnival, a 1A, and then you pay 150%. I don't care for lines like NCL, where it's basically open seating. For singles, open seating can be a very uncomfortable experience. At least with Seabourn, you receive an invitation to dinner each night from an officer, crew member or someone from their entertainment staff, so you never have to worry about dining alone. On Crystal, they have traditional seating, so you're meeting fellow cruisers on the very first night. Your age range is also a consideration. Lines like Seabourn and Crystal cater to an older demographic, usually those over 50. So if you're a "youngster", you might want to consider Celebrity, Princess or RCCI, but again with those lines, you'll probably pay 200%. Go to a local travel agent, pick up some brochures and see what appeals to you, then go from there.

Jane and Kitty,

Thank you for your responses. I have done NCL, Carnival and RCCI before as a couple and will definitely look into Seabourn, Crystal and Celebrity. It is a good place to start. I have never used a travel agent before, usually just search the web for best deal.

Just a suggestion, but why don't you check out the Cruise Critic Group cruises? I know there are a few going on with Carnival cruise lines and from what I have seen there are many solo cruisers. I too, have a CC group going on the Serenade and I am a solo cruisers. When we did the Freedom of the Seas we had a pretty good group of solo cruisers that were part of our group.

I'm in the same "boat" as you. I love to cruise and the DH rather stay home with the two legged kids.

I booked the Inspiration with Carnival last January. They offer a 1A for 150%. I had a b2b booked and had a great time. I also an going on the Elation with Carnival in December. I ended up getting a OV on great deck for the 150$. I paid less than $500 for the five day in an OV for myself. The cost of the room a few months later would have cost me almost $1000.

Also, with Carnival they do a good job of putting solos togeather at dinner. They put them at a large table so you have lots of people to get to met.

I just look around for good deals

I have never cruised solo, but DH says he is cruised out and I really want to try it on my own. But, I am unsure how to go about this.

Are there special rates for cruising solo, or do you pay double?

Is one cruiseline more supportive over the others?

Any other important info I need to know?

Thanks for all your info you share, I really find these boards so helpful.

Hi, I sail solo all the time and love it:) I am going again

next month and can't wait:D

Yes, I usually pay double but for me (and I can only speak for

myself of course;) ) but for me it is worth every penny.

I have read all about the luxury lines and maybe one day I will

be able to afford them but even with their low supplements, the

actual cruise price is out of my budget.

Yes, they are small ships and I do agree with the saying you

get what you pay for but when the finances aren't there then

I look at other options.:)

I sail with Celebrity and love them. 13 times on them in the last

4 years and I always have wonderful crusies. Everyone has their

preferences and you know the thing about it is....every ship on

every cruiseline sells out! So there is a choice for everyone and

everyone has a choice!:D

Once you make your choice I would go over to the roll call boards.

It is a really nice way to meet other people on your specific cruise!

Have fun!!!

I will put my two cents in as well. Being that you are from Iowa, when you pick a cruise that you like also consider what your airfare is going to be (I NEVER do the cruise lines air as it is too expensive). You might also want to check Happy Hour on Tuesdays. That is where I found my upcoming cruise for 11 nights (solo, of course) with air for about $1200, port intensive. I have met several other cruisers on CC who are on my line so I never feel alone even though I have my own cabin. Good luck, but prepare to become addicted. This is my third one this year.:)

No one can tell you what cruiseline to take for your first solo because each person has different experiences. As for me, I have stuck with RCCL because I have always felt safe. I am about to try another line in 2008 just to see if I'm missing anything. Almost went on the NCL Gem transatlantic leaving the same time (12/3) for 9 days, but I'd rather be warm than frigid the entire time. To each his/her own!

On my upcoming Southern Caribbean cruise, I have made some good friends who sound like lots of fun to hang out with. In fact, one of them is as young as my son (36) and is a gay father of two. He just made his air arrangements and is flying to four different airports just to get to PHL and fly to San Juan with me. He said he will have pink hair but he sounds like a lot of fun to be around. Another couple are from GA and older than me by a few years (I am 61), but they also sound like interesting people so I'm set. I don't think $1100-1200 for a cruise is a big deal for 11 nights, do you? I am so excited, but will truly miss the g-kids and hubby, but not the dogs!

Hi:) thanks for the compliment...it is the only time I ever

really enjoy pictures;) ....not by the photographers but just

fun shots from my camera.

As for the price of that cruise? For a solo I agree it is good.

11 nights less than 1200.00? I would be it on it too:D if I could.

That is about 100.00 a day...give or take a few bucks....to me

that is a good price:) And I will be 50 in March and going on a 10

night cruise for that one and mine is more than that.....but I wanted

to do something special for the BIG 50:).

My dad is picking up my airfare~his birthday present! Nice pop!!!!

The following week I checked again and it would have cost me over $1600! I'm supposed to go on this cruise. I can feel it. That's why I got it so reasonable:). I always have to have an OV because I like to see where I'm going and just for the light in the room. I may have obstruction this time, but that's okay. They never really cover the entire view. I don't plan on being in the room for long anyhow, only for napping to rejuvenate and get going again. I get "ants in my pants" if you know what I mean. I could sit on a bench and just watch people coming and going and that would suit me fine, but wouldn't sit for very long. Would have to move to a new "position".

Patty, I book inside cabins 99% of the time.

I know there have been many, MANY threads over the years

on what type of cabins people book. To be honest, I book

what I can afford and balconies are out of my $$$ (had 2 in

17 cruises) both on special.

But when I book a cruise I look at the price of an inside before

anything else.

(That is just me;))

Anyway, have a great cruise and the folks you mentioned sound

like fun people:D

I feel so much better about solo cruising now, I really know I can do it if I want to. Your experiences and pictures give me the push to just do it. So if DH will not cruise in 08, I will definitely feel confident to go alone. I have been checking prices and ships and am just waiting to see the scheduled vacation time at work, thank you to all of you.

Archived