WindSpirit service declining

mpfund

Just returned from a 2 week b2b Med cruise. This was our 5th Windstar cruise. Here are problems we encountered:

1. Upon embarkation, found the large TV screen in our cabin was broken. No effort to fix it was made.

2. One evening the bathroom door hinge which keeps the door open at varying degrees broke, making the door flap all night, hitting the closet. I requested it be repaired several times (on the 2nd night I roped it to the closet door), and only succeeded by complaining directly to a quality control person who was onboard from their headquarters.

3. At every breakfast/lunch it was quite difficult to get the waiters' attention to get beverages. I noticed several other people had the same problem.

4. On 2 days tours were late returning. Both tours had over 60 people on them. On the first day lunch closed promptly, meaning we could only grab a few salads and had to dine listening to the clash of the staff taking apart the food warmers. On the second day lunch was extended a half hour, but the tour returned even later so once again we gobbled lunch.

5. During the first week we were charged for the same bottle of wine 4 times. During the second week we were charged for a more expensive wine than we drank.

6. On the last evening a couple joined us for dinner as we were finishing our main course. We waited while they ate, and although they were able to order and eat dessert, we were not. We tried several time to get the attention of a waiter to get a menu/order, and were unsuccessful. Turns out they were too busy taking care of a birthday.

7. The dinner menu on week 2 was identical to week 1.

The bar staff, however, was just as terrific as ever.

Would I return to Windstar? Perhaps, but with lowered expectations.

Thanks Margery! We normally cruise on larger ships and are actually pretty excited about a smaller ship like the Wind Spirit. The reviews have been mixed although some of it appears to just be differences between cruising styles. It is a bit disconcerting to read about the problems you had and we hope they are isolated. The cabin problems would be a great concern of ours as well as we may be spending more time in the cabin during the evening since the entertainment is not what we’re used to. Not to say we won’t be enjoying the bar staff!

4. On 2 days tours were late returning. Both tours had over 60 people on them. On the first day lunch closed promptly, meaning we could only grab a few salads and had to dine listening to the clash of the staff taking apart the food warmers. On the second day lunch was extended a half hour, but the tour returned even later so once again we gobbled lunch.

The tours are run by independent operators and not Windstar so Windstar has no control over their schedules. You also need to remember that the staff has schedules that include time ashore. Windstar can not change their schedules without some notice. Would you like to be held over on your job without any notice?

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of options for places to eat lunch on a ship like Windspirit, as there usually are on a land vacation., or a bigger ship. If there are a lot of passengers arriving back from a windstar arranged excursion (which Windstar charges a lot for), I would expect to have food made available for the hungry passengers. We were on the Windstar Costa Rica trip last February, and although we enjoyed the cruise, I was very disappointed in the sparse food (tiny little sandwiches) that windstar offered for "lunch" when we boarded the ship,(hungry after traveling) as well the small supply of food for "afternoon tea" offered every afternoon. We are on the WindSpirit in December. I am getting a little anxious about it now.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of options for places to eat lunch on a ship like Windspirit, as there usually are on a land vacation., or a bigger ship. If there are a lot of passengers arriving back from a windstar arranged excursion (which Windstar charges a lot for), I would expect to have food made available for the hungry passengers. We were on the Windstar Costa Rica trip last February, and although we enjoyed the cruise, I was very disappointed in the sparse food (tiny little sandwiches) that windstar offered for "lunch" when we boarded the ship,(hungry after traveling) as well the small supply of food for "afternoon tea" offered every afternoon. We are on the WindSpirit in December. I am getting a little anxious about it now.

There is always food available. It's called room service.

I'm not clear about why there seem to be changes on WindStar since we last cruised with them a few years ago. I'm thinking about a WindSurf cruise next year, but I'm having second thoughts after reading various threads of conversation today. What's happened in the last few years to change the WindStaf experience so much? Can anyone fill me in? Thanks!

I'm not clear about why there seem to be changes on WindStar since we last cruised with them a few years ago. I'm thinking about a WindSurf cruise next year, but I'm having second thoughts after reading various threads of conversation today. What's happened in the last few years to change the WindStaf experience so much? Can anyone fill me in? Thanks!

Because ownership of Windstar Cruises changed this year, and they are now owned by Ambassadors International Cruise Group, which is the parent company for the Majestic America Line. They used to be owned by Carnival.

I have sailed Windstar under three different owners. Honestly, I have never noticed much of a change. Some things I have been happy about, and some things not, but on my cruise under the new owners in June, there was not much difference!

If I wanted to book Windstar, I would go ahead and ignore some bad reviews. You could find plenty of bad reviews posted when Windstar was owned by Carnival.

Thanks for your advice. I did go ahead and book a back-to-back for next fall, but I'm still concerned. Our previous 7 weeks on the Stars were absolutely fabulous, but as I mentioned, we haven't been on one for a few years. I'm disturbed by the number of poor reviews I've been seeing here on CC in the past week that I've been exploring this cruise. I'm also a little concerned since I don't like WindSurf as much as the Spirit and the Star and the (now sunken) Song. We had one back-to-back on the Surf, and the cruise itself was magnificent, but the physical structure of the ship was not as user-friendly as the smaller ships, IMOP.

My last cruise was on the Wind Surf and I also did not like the ship as much as the smaller ones, and I've been on them all, even the Wind Song (my first and favorite).

The ships are in beautiful shape and the crew is fabulous. I think more people complain then post positive reviews. The ambiance remains pretty much the same. I am sure you will have a wonderful time!

Just go with a good attitude and don't expect perfection.

Archived