Fly 1 day before or day of cruise?

wilson9112

Do you fly the day of or before?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly the day of or before?

• I fly the same day as departure,
    • I fly a day before the departure,
    • I fly more than 1 day before departure,

For us is depends on how long the flt. and where its going to. We flew to San Juan the same day of the cruise. But it was a direct flt. and I knew there was many flts. leaving out of Orlando. So I wasn't to concern with it. Plus it was only an 2.30 flt.

But if we where going to Alaska we would have to do it a few days before. There's no way you could do that the same day.

Plus we are lucky that we live in Fl.

But I just look at the time that it takes us to get there, and if its a direct flt and of course weather. I really don't have a problem flying the same day of the cruise., but will fly the day before if we have to.

IMHO, taking a poll on these boards is not an accurate reflection of most cruisers' behavior. Here most people advocate going a day before -- with all sorts of good reasons. However, I would venture that the majority of passangers, most of whom do not have the benefit of the wisdom of these boards, fly in the day of.

Flying from Long Island NY on South West to Ft.Lauderdale. Flight arrives at 9:35am and cruise leaves at 4pm. Due to my friends, I cannot change my flight. I always fly the day before. Just curious as too how many people fly the day of. If I see snow in forcast, Im driving:D Cruise is Jan 5th!

LOL, from mcarthur if you even think it's going to be cloudy, you better start driving.

Never fly southwest in the winter from long island on a day you have to be somewhere.

5 years ago, we were taking our kids to yankee baseball camp. They were playing with the yankees. Airport shut down on thurs at 11am. our flight was at 11am. No snow, but south it was snowing. So no planes arrive to take us out of long island. Snowstorm shows up here, first day to get out on southwest is sunday. oops too late, we were supposed to fly home sunday.

Thanksgiving 06. Airport shuts down due to wind. flight out, 10am. we flew down the next afternoon at about 4pm. I was on my cell phone calling to get flights before they announced they were shutting the airport. Because with southwest, it is impossible. We will never ever fly southwest or from mcarthur again. In the winter from here, you need to fly in at least 2 days early if you are flying from mcarthur and using southwest. Sad but true.

With southwest you don't even have an option if they shut mcarthur down. The nearest airport they fly from is in ct. And southwest doesn't have enough planes and they don't have the interchange system with other airlines.

Good luck. Hope you make it. Better yet, hope you have travel insurance.

We never fly in the same day in the winter from any airport in ny. It's too iffy. In jan. we are flying in only one day ahead because we both have work committments. But if need be, we'll go out a day early if they forecast snow. I obviously do not buy non refundable tickets. I never did on southwest either.

Just curious as too how many people fly the day of.

If one was to believe the statistics reported by the CLIA (see Table 7 at p. 30) about 60% of individuals who cruise in the US arrive on the day of the cruise. Unfortunately, they do not disaggregate these statistics by mode of arrival and/or other relevant factors. However, if one was to assume that 100% of individuals who arrive a day before the cruise fly and only 50% of the individuals who arrive the day of the cruise fly, then overall, about 57% of the individuals who fly arrive one or more days before the cruise. Given that the poll results from this question suggest that over 90% of the individuals responding say that they arrive 1 or more days in advance, one must conclude that the CC sample is not representative of the real world population. (See trish1c above.)

Archived