1. 1. Do you fly the day of or before?

• I fly the same day as departure,
    • I fly a day before the departure,
    • I fly more than 1 day before departure,

On our 1st cruise we went the day before

On our 2nd cruise we flew down the day of the cruise

On our 3rd cruise we are flying down the day before

On our 4th cruise we are flying down the day of

As you can see we do both, as a personal preference, I prefer to go the day before. Our flights always leave out from where we live at 6am, which means we're up by 4:30am. By the time we're on the ship and set sail good, we're worn out. Now luckily we have never been late because of delays, but we know it could happen, so we try to book the earliest flight to allow a little leeway time in case that happens. So far the only delays we have ever experienced were on the way back home from our first cruise. We didn't get home until around 1am because of thunderstorms.

We're going in the day before on our next trip so we can get to the port early. We're both gonna go to work, get off around 2:30 change clothes, suitcases will be in the trunk, and head out to the airport for a 6pm flight.

We chose the day of the trip for June because his family is going also, and we are gonna meet up at the Atlanta airport and fly to Miami together from there, the flight schedules the day before wouldn't co-operate to let us do that.

My first cruise was in 2000, departing from San Juan, PR. My friend was flying from Seattle - me from Albquerque. We knew nothing about cruising, it was just a short-notice, peculiar opportunity for us. We decided to fly in the same day, because it was April - should be great weather.

She flew in to SJ, took a nap, had dinner, waited for me. My flight in ABQ was delayed because of freak weather - missed my connection in Dallas. Managed to get on a later flight, arrived in SJ mid-evening. Guy from the cruise line was trying to rush me, but they were still unloading the luggage from the plane. Finally got the luggage, had a FAST drive to the pier, was the last person on the ship before it sailed. I was panicked, hot, pouring sweat, was nasty to the photographer who wanted to take my picture, starved, wanted food and drink .... but first, the muster drill.

I have since flown in the day before the departure.

We used to fly down to Florida from North Carolina the day of departure. We always had early flights and did not worry so much about missing them. Since 2001, though, we have flown down the day before.

In 2004, for instance, our flight was scheduled to leave at 10 and arrive a little after 12, changing planes in Orlando. It was a beautiful December day in Raleigh--with temps in the 60s. Unfortunately, our plane was coming from New Hampshire, where a winter storm had caused all sorts of delays there and across New England.

We ended up leaving almost six hours late. We landed in Orlando and had to run to make a connecting flight--which thankfully was available. Our luggage did not make it. Since we were staying overnight in Fort Lauderdale, the airline delivered our luggage to our hotel sometime during the night.

If our cruise ship had left that day, it's possible we could have just barely made it in time. But our luggage could not have caught up to us until three days later in St. Thomas.

There are too many ways for you to be delayed getting to your destination. What if you miss your flight? Snow Storm cancellations. I am not going to leave anything to chance. We always go at least one day prior to embarkation.

Our first cruise we flew from TN to SJ in Feb. the day of. We were lucky we had no real problems except for almost missing our flight due to pouring rain and a 90 min. drive to the airport. I was in a panic. We arrived at the airport with time to fly through check in and board. (This was prior to 2001.) Today, I am sure we would have missed our flight. Other than that, things went great. Other family members flew in from MI and had no problems. Weather can play a major factor here as well as planning. Check the weather a few days before. If you see things arent looking good then get whatever flight you can and let your friends take their chances! LOL Price can make a big difference but is it worth missing the boat? This time we are cruising in Feb. again but driving into FL a day before and plan on staying a couple days after. I have 4WD so unless they completely close the interstate down for more than 24 hrs we are good! :D LOL In the future if we plan to fly I will go a day or two before.

We usually fly/drive a day or two ahead. We, however, just booked a 4 nighter for next month and will be driving to San Pedro the day of. At least we don't have to worry about snow :p

###

Hello,

To my friend in Phoenix, you may not have to worry about snow but it gets very windy in the Palm Springs area in the winter. This means that you may not be able to drive as fast through this area as you normally would. Further, you must also consider that traffic congestion is the Los Angeles- Long Beach area is growing worse by the day. Avoid using the Long Beach freeway as this freeway handles approximately 48,000 trucks almost every day in addition to thousands of cars. There is major construction work on the freeways in the Riverside area.

Get a very early start on your drive, and use the carpool lanes as these will be very helpful to you. I'm not sure but I believe that the 60 freeway, I 605, I 405, and the Harbor freeway have carpool lanes that will get into to the San Pedro area of Los Angeles.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

IMO, it's just crazy to fly in the day your cruise leaves. You need to leave at least the day before. I know a lot of people who are aren't flying across the country feel safe doing this. I just can't agree!

My DH flew last night from Portland to Seattle. This is a 55 minute flight. His first flight, after being delayed for over two hours was cancelled. No notification was given to the passengers; luckily, I was tracking it online and called to let him know. He rebooked on another flight that left almost three hours late. He got to Seattle over six hours after the originally scheduled arrival time.

He travels a lot, and over the past year, I can think of very few flights he's had, both domestic and international that haven't been delayed.

You just shouldn't risk it.

We generally travel transatlantic to visit family in England. If we miss the ship, there is no catching up at the next port. The next port is the only port. As a result, we have travel to NYC the day before the ship sails. It is too nervewracking to travel the same day.

......we like to fly in at least a couple of days early............since we are paying to fly to a city or country that is worth seeing......it only makes sense to spend the cost of a few hotel days..........to get to really see the city we are traveling to......;)

last year, flying to seattle...got to the car park place...no one there, had to drive down the road to find another one. thank goodness, we did...got a shuttle to the airport. walked in and the line was going around the room...all the computers were down. every computer in the airport was out of service. they had to check everyone in by phone connection to another airport. this was at 4 am, our flight was suppose to leave at 6am, didn't leave until 7am. in flight, the pilot said they may have to change from DFW to another airport..a storm was in the way. the storm

blew through fast, we landed at DFW...ran to the connecting gate, if this one guy had finished his ice cream early, we would not have made it. they were waiting for him to finish before they closed the gate.

never again will we fly in the day "OF"!!!

On our second cruise we flew in the day of the cruise. Due to a snow storm (we live in Boston) our flight was delayed. We were the last people to board the ship. It was 15 years ago but I still remember giving a $20 bill to a baggage handler to get our luggage on the ship and praying. We literally ran to the ship from the cab with our ten year old in tow. We made it to the ship and so did our luggage but we were tired and totally stressed. Needless to say we have never flown in on the day of the cruise again.

Depends on the time of year... We are flying in the day before in jan when we cruise out of miami, but that's only b/c of the weather. You never know what's going to happen with the layovers. In the fall, we usually fly down the day of, early in the morning.

We like to fly in the day before to relax and not rush. When we went to Alaska we also did a week on land before the cruise, so that wasn't an issue. From San Juan, we flew in a day early figuring it would give us some time to see the sights and not be rushed to make the cruise. As we live two hours from the NYC airports, if we are taking a flight from there we drive down the night before and stay at a hotel with a park/fly deal so we leave the car there and save something on the normal long term parking and easily take an early flight and get to our destination with a day to kill. As a result, we actually left home two days early to avoid both a hassle making the plane and a possible problem meeting the ship. In March we are sailing from FLL and will go down the day before. The fairly inexpensive hotel will pick us up at the airport and deliver us to the cruise port the next morning, so we will have our hand held all the way. As we can now fly direct from our local airport which has both Jetblue and Airtran to FLL, we won't have to stay the extra night. Why do I leave so much extra time? I'm married!!!:D

At a minimum, always one day before and one day after cruise ends, sometimes a few before and sometimes a few after if we make it one long trip - never day the cruise leaves and rarely we fly home the day the ship docks.

Word to the wise - don't assume it will be the flight that is delayed or that traffic may delay you on your way to the ship or from the ship to the airport.

On our cruise out of Tampa this January past, the ship (Zenith) was delayed due to fog and had to stay out of port for several hours until it lifted. We were well looked after waiting for her to dock but believe me, many folks returning and due to fly out that same day had a very frustrating end to their vacation.

Don't need the stress.

We fly in the day before, stay at

a nice hotel, have dinner and shop.

Just did this in San Pedro, Ca. Stayed at the

Crowne Plaza. LOVELY. We're going to stay

there again even if we don't go on a cruise.;)

Hello,

To my friend in Phoenix, you may not have to worry about snow but it gets very windy in the Palm Springs area in the winter. This means that you may not be able to drive as fast through this area as you normally would. Further, you must also consider that traffic congestion is the Los Angeles- Long Beach area is growing worse by the day. Avoid using the Long Beach freeway as this freeway handles approximately 48,000 trucks almost every day in addition to thousands of cars. There is major construction work on the freeways in the Riverside area.

Get a very early start on your drive, and use the carpool lanes as these will be very helpful to you. I'm not sure but I believe that the 60 freeway, I 605, I 405, and the Harbor freeway have carpool lanes that will get into to the San Pedro area of Los Angeles.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Yes, it did help Fred thanks :D

We plan on leaving very early and have made the drive to the Pier twice before - perhaps this time we won't get lost :o We won't be following Map Quest!

###

We fly one day before since we live outside of the USA. On my family's first cruise out of Puerto Rico a few years ago there was a national taxi strike and they were stuck at the airpoirt for several hours. Luckily the cruise was the following day. Learned from that experience and always fly in one day before.

well... the OP knows my story already as to why we always arrange to fly in the day before a cruise - but i will share with the class:

Last december (christmas week), DH and I were going with family on Costa out of Miami. I had been concerned, you see, because my parents were flying in the day of, and DH and I, smartly we felt, booked flights for the day before.

We had a plan in place. I worked full time in Manhattan at the time, so the original plan was to pack the night before, and that I would meet him at the airport (we were leaving out of JFK). I would take the air train, and he would drive. Since we live on Long Island, it made sense to me to avoid a lions share of the holiday traffic.

Well.. DH realized he had to make a sauce delivery in the city. So he decided to pick me up instead. We met up later than either of us wanted -- our flight was scheduled to leave at 4:30, and he didn't pick me up until 2...

Coming into the city there was no traffic for him. But in the 1/2 hour he was there, traffic built up unbelievably. To make a very long beginning of the story short, we got to the airport - just as our plane took off (it left an hour late, but there was nothingw e could do about it - we arrived to the airport at 5:30).

A short conversation at the desk took place - there were no other seats available on any other airline. So DH and I looked at each other. How many hours is it to drive to Florida again...?

So we did it. We got the car out of Avistar, and drive 22 hours straight through to Florida, stopping only to use the bathroom and get food. We made the ship, and the fact that it took us 3 hours to board is another story in it of itself -- but yeah...

So now, we always leave enough time to drive to Florida if we have to. Because the cruise must go on. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

When you live in Minnesota, as we do, it is a MUST to fly the day before. Especially the months of October-April. We learned the hard way that the best laid plans are only good when you're aware of how Mother Nature only works on her terms. Thankfully we cushioned an extra day on our last cruise to arrive the day before because we got hit with a huge snowstorm the day we were flying out. We were lucky enough to get connecting flights after the storm abated and just made it to the ship the next day.

I could care less if a snowstorm hits the airport here on the way home. That just gives us an extra day or 2 in the warm weather. ;)

It can vary:

No connection / less than 2 hr flight / no weather concerns - might consider same day

1 or more connections / 3-4+ hr flight / weather possibility - always at least a day before

Major city we want to visit / limited cruise time in that city / Flying overseas - always at least 2 days prior and maybe many more. :D

Archived