The Scholar Ship - Oceanic II

Riffraff

Sydneysiders are going to get the chance to see an old P&O vessel for a few days next week. The Scholar Ship, also known as the Oceanic II, is going to be in town from the 18/11 to the 24/11, at Darling Harbour 3, which is the wharf right at the bridge end of Darling Harbour. She's been chartered by a university apparently, hence the name:) .

But if anyone's interested in a bit of history, she's been to Sydney many times before. She's the old P&O Sea Princess, which then was renamed Victoria and did a series of round-the-world cruises with the Canberra. She was built in 1966. Nice looking old ship, built in the days when ships had a 'sheer' - the gentle slope down from the bow to midships, and up to the stern.

A bit of history for you.. (Perhaps I should sell my services to the History Channel!:D )

Originally built as the Kungsholm, bought by P&O to replace the original Arcadia. She was the Mona Lisa before going to Pulmantur and then being chartered as a university ship.

here she is in auckland

529732.jpg

533024.jpg

Do you know if she is coming to Brisbane? Id love to see her, just love the older liners :D

Jarrod you should get a season ticket the amount of times you have been into the city recently

Don't worry Karon, I have a Weekly Green Travelpass.:) It gives me unlimited Train, bus and Ferry travel in ceratin Zones. It's just gone up to $43, but it is still worth it. I can even go on the Manly Ferry with it.:D

I have the Ferry wharf, as you would know, about a 10 minute walk from home, but only use it once a year!!:rolleyes: :p

Sydneysiders are going to get the chance to see an old P&O vessel for a few days next week. The Scholar Ship, also known as the Oceanic II, is going to be in town from the 18/11 to the 24/11, at Darling Harbour 3, which is the wharf right at the bridge end of Darling Harbour. She's been chartered by a university apparently, hence the name:) .

But if anyone's interested in a bit of history, she's been to Sydney many times before. She's the old P&O Sea Princess, which then was renamed Victoria and did a series of round-the-world cruises with the Canberra. She was built in 1966. Nice looking old ship, built in the days when ships had a 'sheer' - the gentle slope down from the bow to midships, and up to the stern.

A bit of history for you.. (Perhaps I should sell my services to the History Channel!:D )

Hi Riffraff, Wow! I saw the Scholar Ship on the news last night but didn't realize that she is the old Sea Princess. My first ever cruise was on the Sea Princess when I was a teen:cool: , so thanks for the really interesting information. good wishes from Pink Poodle:)

Monique on Sunrise is doing the weather crossess from on board the ship this morning. Apparently there is 200 students on board and they do 3-4 hours of face to face tutorials each day. Pretty 'cruisey' way to study ! While in Sydney they can go ashore to Macquarie University too for some of their lectures.

cheers

ness

Just a reminder that she leaves Sydney on Saturday for anyone thinking of having a look.

Unfortunately I have the galmorous task of ripping up carpet on Saturday, so won't have a chance to see her or the Rhapsody.:rolleyes: :(

watch those beautiful nails jarrod when you are ripping up that carpet.:D

who is the avator anyway cannot pick that one

We cruised past The Scholarship as we sailed into Sydney on Friday morning. I got a few strange looks from people standing nearby when I commented to my DH what a beautiful ship she was:confused: . Git a few good pics of her too. Will try & post some later. She has a basketball court/soccer field:)

Karen

Archived