Christmas Day at a port??

Jaxgal

We are taking a cruise on the Glory for Christmas this year. I was checking the itennary and we would be in St.Thomas that day. Can we still do excursions that day? Will shops be open? Has anyone experienced this before? :confused: This is all new to me...Thanks!!

My DW emailed one of the shops we visited last year (not on Christmas) to make sure he was open on Christmas. He said everyone will be open and he will make sure he is there to say hello to my DW.

Be sure to check out our meet and greet. See you in a few weeks!

Thanks kgk!! Hopefully we will be booking it up this weekend. We are very last minute due to time off from work issues.

Also, DH is being a very indecisive pain in the you know what at the moment about taking a cruise over Christmas!!! :mad:

We are taking a cruise on the Glory for Christmas this year. I was checking the itennary and we would be in St.Thomas that day. Can we still do excursions that day? Will shops be open? Has anyone experienced this before? :confused: This is all new to me...Thanks!!

We were on the Glory two years ago over the Christmas holiday and we landed in Nassau, Bahamas on Christmas day. Virtually EVERYTHING was closed. On top of that it was raining pretty hard. The only thing that was "open" to see was the Atlantis hotel. The cabbies were all lined up and that was all they wanted to do - take people back and forth to the Atlantis.

We stayed ashore for maybe an hour tops, and then just went back to the ship.

We had been to Nassau before so it was no big deal. In fact, even when the shops are open, Nassau is no big deal.

Oh, of course, the churches were open, so maybe some of the folks on board who were Christians of various denominations found a church of their choice to go to. There were no services held on board.

If you go anywhere that the majority of the population is Christian, you are going to find that many of the businesses are closed on Christmas day.

BnB

We are in the same situation this year so I asked the question on the St Thos boards (to Islander who lives there) Seems large shops will be open, smaller ones may not.

Here is the post

Islander - question for Christmas Day

njs

We were in St Maarten one year on Christmas Day. Half the island was closed. I believe the french side was open. I love cruising at Christmas... The best is Christmas day on a private island. Taking a family picture on the beach with "tropical Santa" makes a great holiday memory.

Yep...shops open and tours going on...But alot of the shops will want to close around 4:00...Was there at Christmas 3 years ago.....

have a Merry....;)

We must be lucky - have never hit anything closed on Xmas day. Usually do a ship tour, then roam the stores. We HAVE hit some ports which close some of their stores on Boxing Day (their Xmas day) - again, very few have closed. I was surprised they were closed, as there were many tourist dollars to be had with ships in port.

We must be lucky - have never hit anything closed on Xmas day. Usually do a ship tour, then roam the stores. We HAVE hit some ports which close some of their stores on Boxing Day (their Xmas day) - again, very few have closed. I was surprised they were closed, as there were many tourist dollars to be had with ships in port.

Boxing Day - the day to box up the garbage and wrapping paper, and box up gifts to return to the stores:D We have it in Canada and it's one of the better sale days for shopping . Dont want you to think we dont have only boxing day up here and not christmas ;)

Archived