Cigars question

BrandiGreg

You can take your own cigars onboard, they do not confiscate them (even if you buy them in port.) The Grand Class ships all have a cigar bar (variously called "Players", "Shooters" or "Snookers", as I recall), forward just outside the Princess Theater. They usually have a small humidor at the bar but -- with only one exception -- in my experience the bartenders there aren't usually terribly familiar with cigars or how to maintain a humidor, unfortunately, so the cigars tend to be very dry. I think it has partially to do with the fact that they rotate different bartenders through throughout the day. In any event, I'd recommend bringing your own or buying them on shore.

We were fortunate when we were on the Star in March 2006 to have the absolutely BEST cigar bartender we've ever had: a Granadan fellow named Akeshe. He knew his cigars, how to keep a good humidor, and could tell you the best places to buy cigars ashore. If you happen to run into him on any of your voyages, I highly recommend becoming his friend. ;)

Hope that's helpful.

Happy cruising! ;)

p.s. -- I also thought I'd mention some info that came up in a prior cigar thread I was part of. First, if you're taking a travel humidor that's like mine (which is a metalic cylindar with a screw off end), I recommend taking it in your carry-on and opening it up when putting it through the x-ray machine at the airport. On x-ray these particular humidors bear an unfortunate resemblance to a pipe bomb. :rolleyes: But, I've never had a problem when I open it up for the TSA folks. Also, if you're bringing a lighter it's recommended to buy a special TSA approved case for it and put it in your checked baggage, as lighters aren't allowed in carry-on luggage on a plane. You won't have any problems, however, getting any of these items through security to board the ship. Again, happy cruising! :D

Archived