Euros

Approximate costs for euros:

Credit cards: 0% to 3% (purchases, not cash advances)¹

Debit/ATM cards: 0% to 3.5% plus $0 to $5 withdrawal fee.¹

Cash from a US bank: 5% to 8%

Euro denominated traveler's checks: 5.5%²

Travelex in the USA with AAA card: 6%, purchase with a credit card is a cash advance. There may be more fees. It is 8% without AAA.²

AAA Visa TravelMoney Card: 7% currency conversion plus $2 withdrawal fee plus other fees.²

Bureaux de Change: I have seen rates from 3% to 13%. Watch out that you are not short changed.

AAA tip pack: 15%²

Credit card cash withdrawal: 3% withdrawal, plus 3% currency conversion, plus 20% interest starting immediately.¹ ²

¹Contact your bank or credit card issuer for your situation and compare to the rates listed at:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

²I no longer consider these options.

Approximate costs for euros:

Credit cards: 0% to 3% (purchases, not cash advances)¹

Debit/ATM cards: 0% to 3.5% plus $0 to $5 withdrawal fee.¹

Cash from a US bank: 5% to 8%

Euro denominated traveler's checks: 5.5%²

Travelex in the USA with AAA card: 6%, purchase with a credit card is a cash advance. There may be more fees. It is 8% without AAA.²

AAA Visa TravelMoney Card: 7% currency conversion plus $2 withdrawal fee plus other fees.²

Bureaux de Change: I have seen rates from 3% to 13%. Watch out that you are not short changed.

AAA tip pack: 15%²

Credit card cash withdrawal: 3% withdrawal, plus 3% currency conversion, plus 20% interest starting immediately.¹ ²

¹Contact your bank or credit card issuer for your situation and compare to the rates listed at:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

²I no longer consider these options.

thanks for posting this detailed summary; it pretty much confirms my own experiences.

This should be a posted as a sticky, it gets asked about so often!

If no one answers the pursers desk question soon - I will post when I get back. We plan to get euros on board for U.S. $

We leave Tues for Rome and board the ship on Fri 11/23 - returning to the States Dec. 3rd.

Ciao (just practicing :D )

Hi Texancruzer!

We just returned from the Brilliance on November 17th. My husband exchanged $$$ for Euros at the pursers desk several times throughout the cruise. There wasnt a limit on the amount. It was explained to us this is a service the line provides and the rate was the same as the bank. Of course we never found a bank that would exchange money. Thats why the ships exchange desk was great for us. We also used ATM's in spots with no problem. We also notified our bank and credit card company we would be out of town.

Enjoy your cruise!! The ship is beautiful and there are many fantastic sights to see!

Archived